Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Alien Ears  (Read 3118 times)

Offline wheresjerry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Deadicated boater....
    • Music List
Alien Ears
« on: January 22, 2011, 07:24:59 PM »
Hey.......

I grabbed myself a set of these last month http://alienears.com/ , and boy, theye are worth every cent I paid!  I have seen two shows since they arrived, and I am so glad I spent the money on them.  The sound when wearing these is not at all effected nor muffled like it is when you used the foam type.  They are comfortable as heck and don't cause ear soreness when worn.  I was impressed at how well the sound still came thru and was clear in all ranges.  During the show Ryan Montbleau, New Years in Foxboro I took one of the plugs out, and was amazed at how loud it was with out them.  Again, I can't say enough for these, MY hearing is worth it considering the number of shows us tapers go to.   8)
Neumann. KM184>zoom f8,  pax 2 vaporizor, AlienEars, Neumann KM184,AKG 390 bodies w/ ck91and ck93 caps, Rode NT-4 ,  SP-CMC-25>battery box>Oade concert mod pmd 620......  and lot's a stuff....playback Yamaha rx-v 663,LG BD590, bose accumass 5 speakers, ears and AKG 701's....
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/wheresjerry

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Alien Ears
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 07:52:35 PM »
My anti virus chokes o that link as spyware.  Same thing when I try to access it after a google search.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 07:55:27 PM by kirkd »

Offline wheresjerry

• Taperssection Regular
  • Deadicated boater....
    • Music List
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 06:36:04 AM »
My anti virus chokes o that link as spyware.  Same thing when I try to access it after a google search.

http://alienears.com/

works for me clicking on the link and searching in Google.   ???
Neumann. KM184>zoom f8,  pax 2 vaporizor, AlienEars, Neumann KM184,AKG 390 bodies w/ ck91and ck93 caps, Rode NT-4 ,  SP-CMC-25>battery box>Oade concert mod pmd 620......  and lot's a stuff....playback Yamaha rx-v 663,LG BD590, bose accumass 5 speakers, ears and AKG 701's....

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 12:51:21 PM »
I get the links but Trend Micro PCcillian kicks it back as spyware.  I have my antivirus stuff set up as a pretty tough screen. But something they use on their site is on my list of spyware?  Could be they want a little too much info for cookies?  Or maybe they get money by selling information from hits on their site?  Just letting ya know.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 01:58:23 PM »
Did you go to an audiologist to get the ear canal impressions, or did you do your own impressions using their free kit?
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline wheresjerry

• Taperssection Regular
  • Deadicated boater....
    • Music List
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 04:09:22 PM »
I used the impression kit...they include enough goop to make three impressions, and it took me the three shots to get it right, it is not at all difficult to do, but helps if you have someone there to assist.  You will not be at all dissapointed, and like anything, you get what you pay for, and spending this kind of money for hearing protection, you can bet on it that I'll use them 100% of the time.

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 07:34:41 PM »
I don't know about these ones, but I have some of the musicians ear plugs made and they are great.

Offline wheresjerry

• Taperssection Regular
  • Deadicated boater....
    • Music List
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 06:14:07 AM »
I don't know about these ones, but I have some of the musicians ear plugs made and they are great.

I believe theye are the same....

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 07:20:19 AM »
FWIW, nearly all the "musicians earplugs" found online are simply custom molds + Etymotic ER-x filters (where x is the dB attenuation).  The AE snap-in ring for the filters is interesting, though I've never had any problems with my filters falling out (perhaps I don't use them "strenuously" enough).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline setboy

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 07:46:17 AM »
  The AE snap-in ring for the filters is interesting, though I've never had any problems with my filters falling out (perhaps I don't use them "strenuously" enough).

I thought the same thing

Offline earmonger

• Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 01:45:06 AM »
Etymotic has an approved list of labs that doesn't include Alien Ears.  It looks like AE just buys the filter buttons to put in its own earmolds.

The unanswered question is whether Etymotic's approved labs use better materials and techniques (like the kind of plastic or the shape of the hole) than AE, or whether Etymotic just prefers that people go to audiologists because sooner or later some DIY person is going to screw up the impression and blame Etymotic. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com