Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: analog imput clarification - JB3  (Read 2149 times)

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • surly tapir
analog imput clarification - JB3
« on: March 14, 2005, 02:33:13 AM »
reading through the faq i came across something that i am not sure i understand completely.  the optical/line in female port will take a 3.5mm mini toslink plug, but the faq says:

4) The NJB3 has a stereo analog line level female input "jack" located onthe unit. You will need a male "plug" to attach to it. These connectors areof the 3.5mm TRS (Tip/Ring/Sleeve NOT Tandy Radio Shack) trapezoidal-tiptype commonly referred to as "Walkman headphone connectors". This is NOT an1/8inch "mini phone" type connector! DO NOT USE A 1/8INCH PLUG IN THESE3.5mm JACKS! It will eventually, if not immediately, break the jack andrender your NJB useless for recording purposes.5) The NJB3's 3.5mm analog Line In jack also doubles as an Optical Inputjack. This type of jack mates with a special 3.5mm Optical plug. In order touse the NJB3s' Digital Optical Input you will need an optical fiber cablewith this type of plug on at least one end.

i picked up a rca to stereo mini (1/8'') monster cable that i thought would be suitable for analog imput. (it was suggested at the yahoo jb3 forum).  i mean worse case i can use the cable to send files to my receiver through the rca imputs from the headphone jack (or line out), but i was hoping (and glad i was able to get an optical patch) to use this for analog patches.

on a sorta related note.  if i wanted to get 1/4'' adapters for my rca ends, should i get the mono type or stero type. i thought mono was sufficient b/c i was getting a split signal r/l with the rca.

thanks for the help.

**edit, i have googled a bunch of tec sites and seem to think that 3.5mm and 1/8" are interchangble when it comes to plugs... hence my confusion with the faq **
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 03:12:25 AM by jeromejello »
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
Re: analog imput clarification - JB3
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 11:19:02 AM »
good question, I always thought they were interchangeable. +T
mics & cameras

hexyjones

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 01:11:37 PM »
There are older SwitchCraft plugs that are literally 1/8 inch...they look similar...

Same with the 1/4 inch plugs...I have some that are a bit smaller that regular 1/4 inch stuff...you can really tell unless you look closely - or try to plug it in...

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 11:20:11 AM »
well the monster cables work... its kinda unfortunate that i had to find out by patching analog for the first set of the mmw show last night.  i havent listened to it yet, but the second set i got a digital patch and i am very interested to see the comparison b/w the two (it was using the same mics).  this one wont be bt'd by me, but there were several other tapers there.
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 11:40:23 AM »
1/8" = 3.18mm so you're in the right ballpark.

marc

"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com