Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Another MT II issue (sorta)  (Read 6837 times)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Another MT II issue (sorta)
« on: January 05, 2008, 03:04:08 PM »
I ordered a 32GB compact flash card from NewEgg (BECAUSE IT"S THERE, that's why), and was happy that the MT II media test said it would record at 24/96.  Hooked the MT II to a USB power source and went 1/8" stereo in from a radio, levels checked okay at low settings and left it running to record at 24/96 all night.  Around 5am the machine shut down, having recorded with seamless splits at ~2GB (the good news) exactly FIVE files (alternating just over and just under 1.953 GB each), leaving 22GB on the card free.  I could understand a limit at 8GB or 16 GB, but WHY at 10GB?  Has anyone run a 16GB or 32GB card on the MT II with different results??

Jeff

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Another MT II issue (sorta)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 11:35:19 AM »
i did a small, short test with a 16gb card and a mt1
it worked fine, when i get a chance i will try and do longer one
i know its not a big help though :/
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 01:20:13 PM »
I have a 16gb coming in the mail. When I get it I will test it out.
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 09:02:27 PM »
I tested today another brand card, this time 16GB.  Consistant result: it again recorded at 24/96 for roughly five hours, creating five ~2GB files, and then shut down.  Why is there a 10GB limit on consecutive seamless files?  I don't get it.

Jeff

Offline anhisr

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 09:11:05 PM »
Have you gone to M Audio's site and sent in a service ticket?  I would love to hear their answer to this one.  They thought that nobody would record that long.  If they come back with that one, note that Phish played for 7 hours straight. 

I wonder if you, after a couple of hours, hit the record so it would write the file and then started again if it would hit the wall at 10 gig.  Meaning is it a total thing before you hit record again to save the files or will the unit only read 10gb no matter how large the card is. 

« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 09:14:56 PM by anhisr »
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 09:47:16 PM »
Have you gone to M Audio's site and sent in a service ticket? 

I just left a ticket. 

I wonder if you, after a couple of hours, hit the record so it would write the file and then started again if it would hit the wall at 10 gig.  Meaning is it a total thing before you hit record again to save the files or will the unit only read 10gb no matter how large the card is. 

I just took the recorder with the 16GB card in it, with 10GB in five files, and started it up.  It starts to record a sixth file with no problem, so I think the issue is only with consecutive seamless-split files, not that the MTII doesn't see the whole card.

Jeff

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 01:46:08 PM »
I ordered a 32GB compact flash card from NewEgg (BECAUSE IT"S THERE, that's why), and was happy that the MT II media test said it would record at 24/96.  Hooked the MT II to a USB power source and went 1/8" stereo in from a radio, levels checked okay at low settings and left it running to record at 24/96 all night.  Around 5am the machine shut down, having recorded with seamless splits at ~2GB (the good news) exactly FIVE files (alternating just over and just under 1.953 GB each), leaving 22GB on the card free.  I could understand a limit at 8GB or 16 GB, but WHY at 10GB?  Has anyone run a 16GB or 32GB card on the MT II with different results??

Jeff

What was the USB power source? It sounds like maybe it was not supplying power so the unit shut down. I know I once had my MT charging to my PC and the PC wnet to the sleep mode and my MT ran down during that time I thought I was charging it. Was the MT fully charged after it stopped? Keep us posted.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 02:35:20 PM »
What was the USB power source? It sounds like maybe it was not supplying power so the unit shut down. I know I once had my MT charging to my PC and the PC wnet to the sleep mode and my MT ran down during that time I thought I was charging it. Was the MT fully charged after it stopped? Keep us posted.

The USB power source was a computer plugged into a wall.  The MT II read full power both times (the second time I saw it a few minutes after it shut down, so it would have had to recharge REAL quick).  The shutdown was after exactly five full files had been written each time.  Impossible that this was power related.

Jeff

Offline anhisr

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 02:52:03 PM »
I did notice that if you record more than one file the date modified for all the files is when the last file was written.  The date created is when the file started. 
Video Canon HF R30

Offline willndmb

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 08:56:45 PM »
at least this issue wouldn't ever really be an issue, i mean how many time will you record that long wihtout a stop

anyway i was thinking, try recording 2 files then stopping and restarting the recording, see if it still stops at 10gb or if it goes thru
at least then you will know if its a 10gb prob or if its something else
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline anhisr

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 09:02:30 PM »
I got my 16gb card in the mail today.  Checking to see if I run into the 10gb issue. 
Video Canon HF R30

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 01:47:52 AM »
at least this issue wouldn't ever really be an issue, i mean how many time will you record that long wihtout a stop

Not an issue at all for some folks.  But a BIG issue for me.  Five times in the last three weeks for tapes running over five hours (so that I needed external power on my MiniR82 to get through).

Jeff

Offline willndmb

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 09:32:19 AM »

Not an issue at all for some folks.  But a BIG issue for me.  Five times in the last three weeks for tapes running over five hours (so that I needed external power on my MiniR82 to get through).

Jeff
wow
i would def give my idea a try though, record 2 files (or anything long enough)
then stop and restart, see if you still get stuck at 10gb or if it goes past 10gb
this way you will know if its stopping at 10gb period
or stopping at  any 10gb mark
maybe its something to do with the card hitting 10gb full or maybe its the recorder hitting the 10gb

Offline anhisr

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 02:47:31 PM »
Still get stuck at 10gb limit.   I think it has something to do with some buffer.  If you look at when the group of files were last modified.  They have the same date.  The created date is different but, until you hit record a second time, all of the last modified are the same.
Video Canon HF R30

Offline anhisr

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 02:51:56 PM »
OH, and I have been all over them about the light going off when on hold.  They always came back that it saves battery time.  my reply:

Why did you have to figure we are too stupid to turn the light off if we want the battery to last longer. Once again, let it be our choice. I use an external power source in the field. I like to have the unit on hold so, I don't accidentally have it turn off while on my bag. I also need to know that for some reason the unit hasn't frozen or stopped on its own. Your thinking takes away that ability

answer: We will forward your concerns to the proper channels.
Video Canon HF R30

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 09:43:50 PM »
Well it looks like this might get fixed:

"Thank you for the information; this has now been logged as a bug and reported to our engineers for more testing.

Unfortunately, we do not have any further information at this point; please stay tuned to our website for any late breaking information.

If you are a registered owner of any M-Audio product or if you fill out the survey for your device under an existing version/driver post, we will send you an email as soon as we post the drivers."

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Jeff

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2008, 03:14:29 AM »
Does it take a while to unload that ADATA 16GB card? I was thinking about spending the extra $20 to get the Transcend CF card which operates at 133x speed as opposed to the 40x speed of the ADATA card. Your opinions. Actually, I ran my first recording on it at 16bit and transferred 1.76GB to my computer in about 12 minutes. That was using my 4GB Sandisk Ultra II card. Overall, I am very happy with the unit. It is easy to navigate and has quick response when starting new tracks. My only issue was the first SPDIF cable I used was too big and the power cable would not fit next to it. Luckily I was only a couple of blocks from home, so I came back and pulled out the RA SPDIF cable that came with my V3. It worked, but it is still a little tight. I am using the standard USB cable that came with my Macally 5V power pack. Do they make other USB power cords that are smaller?

Offline anhisr

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2008, 08:00:26 AM »
First off don't use the MT II to move your files over to your computer.  I find an external card reader is best.  I use one of Kindcables for my spdif cable.  Then you need to find a usb cable that isn't fat at the small end.  Some have even removed some of the plastic at the small end to make the two fit.  The one I use with no problems is a clear cable.  I don't remember who makes it though.

Video Canon HF R30

Offline willndmb

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2008, 10:49:05 AM »
i just use a razor blade and shave the usb plug down slightly and they both fit nice and snug

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2008, 01:45:29 PM »
i just use a razor blade and shave the usb plug down slightly and they both fit nice and snug

Thats what I ended up doing and it works just fine.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 02:54:43 PM »
OH, and I have been all over them about the light going off when on hold.  They always came back that it saves battery time.  my reply:

Why did you have to figure we are too stupid to turn the light off if we want the battery to last longer. Once again, let it be our choice. I use an external power source in the field. I like to have the unit on hold so, I don't accidentally have it turn off while on my bag. I also need to know that for some reason the unit hasn't frozen or stopped on its own. Your thinking takes away that ability

answer: We will forward your concerns to the proper channels.

I did a pre-emptive strike and complained about the backlighting. I figured that way when I move from my MT24/96 to the MTII, the problem will hopefully be fixed. According to their answer it has been fixed. Can anyone confirm this. I have left the ticket open pending what those who have one have to say...

Date: 01/14/2008 14:20:36 by: Alex Solano

Customer submitted a new incident
 [Alex Solano -- 01/14/2008 14:20:00]
Backlight
This menu sets the automatic shutoff time for the MicroTrack II backlight. Since the backlight drains more battery
power, you have the ability to automatically turn the light off to maximize your battery life.
When set to “Always off,” the backlight will never turn on. When “Always on” is selected, the back light will be on
whenever MicroTrack II is powered on. The other three settings available on this menu determine the amount of
time the backlight will stay on after the last control is pressed on MicroTrack II. For example, if “5 sec” is selected,
the backlight will turn on any time a button is pressed on MicroTrack II. The back light will then turn off 5 seconds
after the last button is pressed.
► NOTE: If the dimmer switch on the side of MicroTrack II is set to the Off position, the
backlight will never turn on no matter what setting is selected in this menu.

Customer Note for Web Conversation
      Customer Note:   
  Mark this Incident as resolved. 

Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com