Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HELP! video editing problems.  (Read 2567 times)

Offline braweave

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
HELP! video editing problems.
« on: June 20, 2006, 11:29:03 AM »
so im a rookie at this, and i have NO IDEA what i am doing.

here is the story, a friend gave me a vhs tape of a concert that is a proshot video.
Obviously this is 1 of about 2 copies out there. so i cant send it off to someone else to do.

my plan is to get it down to some format so i can send it off to a friend of a friend for editing, chapters, titles and to be put into a dvd format.

my problem is that when i recorded to my hard drive from the vhs tape, i chose the best quality. THIS FILE IS 30 GB. its freakin huge.
however i figured out how to dither it to an avi file that is only 11gb. (dont worry i still have the original 30 gb file if i need it.)

however it is still too large for me to send over the internet. and unless i split it up im in trouble (its all the entire concert right now at 2 hours and 25 mins.) i wanted to split it into 3 different files. so that it is like 3.5gig per file. (so i can then send the 3 dvd's to the friend of the friend.)

anyway. does anyone know how i can either split up the 11 gig file or go back into the 30 gig file and split that up.

I used the pinnacle that I bought at best buy, the software is pinnacle studio version 10.

thanks in advance.
Neumann KM140 > Sound Devices MP-2 > Edirol R-09HR

Offline jmon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: HELP! video editing problems.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 12:32:26 PM »
I don't really know much about pinnacle, but i know a good bit about editing video in general. There should be some sort of option to set "in & out" points in your timeline, so you can just export the chunks that you want. Let's say you want the first 45 minutes in one chunk. Set the in point at the beginning and the out point at 45 minutes. When you export to AVI, it should only do that much. But then on your next chunk set the in point at 44 minutes so your friend can overlapthe two chunks and line them up. In a perfect world, you could start the 2nd chunk at 45:01 and it would work, but if for some reason it didn't, you would have to do it again.

Again, I'm not exactly sure you can do this with Pinnacle.... hope this helps in some way
watch THE CORPORATION  ||  http://www.thecorporation.com

Offline braweave

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 01:36:34 PM »
I don't really know much about pinnacle, but i know a good bit about editing video in general. There should be some sort of option to set "in & out" points in your timeline, so you can just export the chunks that you want. Let's say you want the first 45 minutes in one chunk. Set the in point at the beginning and the out point at 45 minutes. When you export to AVI, it should only do that much. But then on your next chunk set the in point at 44 minutes so your friend can overlapthe two chunks and line them up. In a perfect world, you could start the 2nd chunk at 45:01 and it would work, but if for some reason it didn't, you would have to do it again.

Again, I'm not exactly sure you can do this with Pinnacle.... hope this helps in some way

i thoght i had that done, but it saved it all as 1 big chunk still.  what software do you use to do this with?
Neumann KM140 > Sound Devices MP-2 > Edirol R-09HR

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 11:56:12 PM »
I use Vegas Video.

Here are the steps to follow In Vegas

1.  highlight the section you want to save by dragging the mouse across that portion of the timeline (around 18 minutes of raw video fits on one DVD-R5)
2.  File --> render as
3.  in the "save as type" drop down menu, choose "video for windows (*.avi)." NTSC will be the default - click on "custom" and change the "video rendering quality" to "best"
4.  click the "render loop region only" box (this is very important and easy to miss)
5.  give it a unique file name
6.  click "save"

I would highly recommend that you send raw video (sounds like it'll take six DVDs).  That way there is little chance the person getting it will have any problems.  And as mentioned previously, be sure to overlap.  I always overlap the exact same amount (in my case 1 second) for each disk just to make it easy and predictable.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline jmon

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 05:40:47 PM »

i thoght i had that done, but it saved it all as 1 big chunk still.  what software do you use to do this with?

I use Final Cut Pro 5
watch THE CORPORATION  ||  http://www.thecorporation.com

Offline kuuan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 09:13:02 AM »
well, if you render it to a smaller file, and I guess mpeg2 should be your choice ( the same fileformat which goes on DVDs for viewing )  your friend won't have material he will enjoy or like editing with. He will want to edit the original AVI.
Better you write the original 30GB files to a couple of DVDs as data and send them via post office.

for more relyable info please check:
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/f5
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/index.php
http://pana3ccduser.com/index.php
Everything you do through out the day, every thought and every feeling leaves an impression stored inside you.
These impressions create tendencies, their sum total is your character.
gear: SP-CMC8+AT853 cards+omnis, AT822>DIY preamp>iRiverH120rockboxed

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com