Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Internal HDs  (Read 1299 times)

Depechemode1993

• Trade Count: (0)
Internal HDs
« on: October 23, 2008, 12:58:08 PM »
So I have filled up my 200 GB HD on my Dell desktop and I want to add onto it.

What I have been doing is taking the 600-800 CD-R's of live shows I have and ripping them to FLAC and adding a txt file to each show so that a) I can listen to them all from my computer b) I don't have about a million cd cases (that hold 200+) and c) I can back them up to a HD and another one (external) so that if the 1st one fails I have the backup.

Here are some questions. I have never added onto a computer with data. I have done audio-cards before and I am guessing HD's are the same. I have an extra slot for more space on my computer but here are some questions that hopefully you guys can help me out with:

1. I was thinking a 1 TB HD would do the trick to keep all my files in the HD. Thats all that is going in this HD. nothing else so it should be suffice. But will it overheat? and would I need to add another fan to it? If this does happen should I get this thing professionally installed?

The reason I don't want an external HD is because I want my computer to look clean and not have a bunch of cords out of it... plus if it ever gets damaged I don't want that to happen.

thanks for reading everyone.  :)

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Internal HDs
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 01:03:19 PM »
installing hd's is very easy, especially on newer machines. make sure you have the jumper set to slave before installing. it shouldnt overheat. extra fans are not a necessity, but good preventative measure. just remember when (not if) it fails you will lose a shit ton of tunes. 
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 01:14:06 PM »
Couple things:

--  Please don't consider a 2nd HDD as backup (i.e. reliable storage meant to safeguard important data).  It really functions as redundancy, i.e. the data remains readily available in the event HDD1 crashes.  IMO, it's not really safe enough for proper backup.  For example, the same root cause of one HDD failure could cause both HDDs to fail simultaneously.   FWIW, here's a description of my redundancy / backup model.  And here's a post I made on "reasonable redundancy withour RAID" that you may (or may not) find useful. I strongly recommend a proper backup on a less volatile / risky (if properly stored) media, like optical (e.g. DVD).  The same root cause of data failure for a HDD is unlikely to render optical media backups unusable.  Though it is possible:  fire, flood, etc.  Which is why you should always have an off-site backup, as well.

--  If you can afford it, use 3 internal HDDs to separate your OS and programs from your data:  one for OS and programs, a 2nd for data only, and a 3rd for data redundancy.  This makes re-install of or upgrading your OS and programs less risky to the data.  Alternatively, you could use 2 HDDs and partition one HDD to achieve a similar effect:  HDD1 has 2 partitions - partition "C" for OS and programs, and partition "D" for data.  If the OS bombs, you re-install the OS and programs partition "C", without impacting partition "D".  The downside of the partition route is that the space available for data on HDD1 will be smaller than the space available for data on HDD2.  But when you're talking a 1 TB drive, carving out an 8-12 GB partition for OS & programs probably isn't a big deal.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 01:15:36 PM »
I just tossed one of these into my XP box.   You can and should query the internal temp of any of these drives using SMART tools, especially when installing into a new case with unknown cooling.  I like my drives to run under 30C but under 40C is still decent.

You should also beat the hell out of a new drive for a while to make sure it won't fail right out of the box.  Completely filling and erasing the disk is important.  A long (not quick) format is also good to do since it will do a lot more verification.  Ideally you should buy two of whatever you get and use the second as a backup..

Another option is to find a friend with similar music interests who will keep a backup for you.  That only works until your friend starts deleting shows that don't suit their tastes (common problem when you have a lot of music).

Fwiw, 2TB drives should be available in '09.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136151&Tpk=22-136-151

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 01:20:15 PM »
First thing you'll need to do is identify which Dell model you have and what type of drive does it take (either IDE or SATA).  Once you find out the drive connector type then it's all pretty easy after that.

- Order/receive drive
- Open desktop case
- Insert drive
- Hook up power and data (IDE or SATA) connector  <-- these extra connectors will be in the Dell case already partially hooked up
- Close case
- Boot Windows
- Format drive (use NTFS not FAT32)
- You're done!

If your drive needs to be a IDE drive then you will have to set the pin in the back to slave.  The instructions will have a picture for you to follow.  If its a SATA drive then there is no need to select anything, just plug in and go.

When searching for a drive you'll be looking for a 3.5" drive NOT a 2.5" drive.   Faster speeds mean hotter running drives.  For data storage like you're talking about a 5400rpm drive is fine.  7200 rpm if you find a great deal and 10,000rpm is way overkill.   As long as you are running a drive 7200rpm or less you should not have a problem with heat an/or adding any extra fans at all.  Dell is pretty good about cooling designs. 

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 02:02:34 PM »
all great advice here.
This past weekend I picked up an internal 160GB hard drive so I can do some video editing and music editing. I love it. I already want another. Connecting was a little tricky but I figured it out.

to format the drive, you have to the use computer management to assign it a computer letter (I picked T and a name samiam is mine) and then format it. I was expecting as soon as I powered the computer on, it would pop up asking to format it but after reading the OS helpfile I figured it out.  ;D

personally, I'd prefer several smaller drives over one huge hard drive. but thats just me.

Good luck!
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Depechemode1993

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 11:53:12 PM »
man. thanks a lot for all your replies! this is great information you all have put here! I was either thinking about putting all the shows on an external HD or DVD-R's. I guess even getting approx. 8-10 shows on one DVD disc is better than having 20 CD-R's or so. +T's to all for the help!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.206 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com