Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audacity users: how do you track-out shows and export?  (Read 7323 times)

Offline grtphl

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • deadheadynugs
    • Free Live Music Archive - daja@dayjay
Audacity users: how do you track-out shows and export?
« on: December 14, 2008, 10:35:18 PM »
I'm new to Audacity.  I did my fades and peak normalization to -1.0 dB on my 24/48 file.  I want to track it out and export it as 16/44.1 *.wavs within Audacity so I can *.flac and SBE OK in Traders Little Helper.  I leave 'markers' to indicate how the show should be tracked out, but I don't know how to select marker-to-marker for export.  I followed the Workflow sticky for set-up but it doesn't elaborate on tracking.  So, for anyone who uses Audacity exclusively, what's your full workflow?  I don't have CDWave so I need to figure out how to properly trim tracks in this application.

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The Dude abides...
Re: Audacity users: how do you track-out shows and export?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 11:09:42 PM »
I can help with some of this, but not the dithering.  I've changed sample rate from 48>44.1, so I'll describe my process when doing that.  Also not exactly sure when you say "trim" your tracks.

Preparing file for tracking:
1.  Change sample rate in lower left hand corner of the gui where it says "Project rate:".  Just select 44100.
2.  Select File > Export as wav.  Someone else will have to verify this thought, but IIRC if you mark tracks at a higher sample rate, track timing gets messed up when you burn then try to downsample to 44.1.

File tracking, using the new wav you just exported:
1.  To mark a track, select Project > Add Label At Selection.  There's a short cut for Mac: command b
2.  Apply fades, etc.
3.  Hint 1:  if you need to cut out anything between tracks you've already marked, make sure when you select the piece of wav to cut that you highlight the area all the way down into the track marker indicator bar.  If not, when you make the cut all subsequent track markers are now off line from where you put them.  Also, "undo" is your friend.   ;D
4.  Hint 2:  when you export the tracks, the first track will start with your first track mark, and not at the beginning of the wav file in which you're marking tracks.  So where you want the first track to start, make sure you make a first track mark.  You'll see below that the end of the file is a different story, and I'm not sure if this is consistent with other software.
5.  Hint 3:  Duh, I know, but save very frequently as you go.  I find Audacity will freeze or crash with greater regularity than anyone would ever hope, and has done that through several iterations.

To export the tracks:
1.  Select File > Export Multiple...
2.  In the pop up box, select wav as export format
3.  In the pop up box, select/create folder where you want those files to go
4.  In the pop up box, under "Name files" on the lower right of the box, select the radio button for Numbering consecutively
5.  In the pop up box, optional:  alter file name prefix
6.  Finally, and still in the pop up box, click Export button
7.  All tracks will export as wav files, and when done, click OK
8.  Hint 1:  if you wish, delete the final track.  All it is the the remnants of the show after you've made the final track mark after the last tune/applause.

Then open TLH to fix sbe's and run 'em through.

:)

edit:  clarified a few points
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 11:12:49 PM by deanlambrecht »
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline grtphl

• Taperssection Member
  • deadheadynugs
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 11:27:11 PM »
Thank you very much Dean!  I can verify that marking tracks before selecting 44,100 messes up the tracking labels.  That was the issue I ran into earlier today, which led me to make this thread.  You are awesome and I appreciate that you took the time to write that post out for me (:

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 11:36:50 PM »
Thank you very much Dean!  I can verify that marking tracks before selecting 44,100 messes up the tracking labels.  That was the issue I ran into earlier today, which led me to make this thread.  You are awesome and I appreciate that you took the time to write that post out for me (:

No problem - glad I could help.  You and I did run into the exact same 44.1/48 problem, then.  It's been a long time so I wasn't quite sure anymore what exactly was the problem.
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

Offline grtphl

• Taperssection Member
  • deadheadynugs
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »
When I exported the files with consecutive numbering the application added a dash (-) after my prefix.

Ex: tbt2008-12-13.bsc1.k3.davidj.t-01.wav

Instead of tbt2008-12-13.bsc1.k3.davidj.t01.wav

This always happen?

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 10:54:32 PM »
When I exported the files with consecutive numbering the application added a dash (-) after my prefix.

Ex: tbt2008-12-13.bsc1.k3.davidj.t-01.wav

Instead of tbt2008-12-13.bsc1.k3.davidj.t01.wav

This always happen?

Yep.  You've got to manually remove that dash or ignore it.  Pain in the ass.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 11:20:31 AM »
i can confirm that changing the sample/bit you will change the times as stated by dean

side question - how can i delete (or move) 1 label from my label markings? (on a mac)
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 10:18:36 PM »
i can confirm that changing the sample/bit you will change the times as stated by dean

side question - how can i delete (or move) 1 label from my label markings? (on a mac)

I've never figured it out.  Once you're past the "undo" stage, I think you're screwed without actually cutting out a tiny, tiny, tiny bit of the wav or starting over altogether.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 12:50:23 AM »

I've never figured it out.  Once you're past the "undo" stage, I think you're screwed without actually cutting out a tiny, tiny, tiny bit of the wav or starting over altogether.

highlight the label as though you were going to type a description and hit delete/bkspace should be it. I don't have audacity open at the moment, so someone might need to verify this at the sample level, but I'm relatively sure thats it. I gave up moving them cause it screwed up when I tried, I now just delete them and add new ones.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline willndmb

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 07:43:29 AM »

highlight the label as though you were going to type a description and hit delete/bkspace should be it. I don't have audacity open at the moment, so someone might need to verify this at the sample level, but I'm relatively sure thats it. I gave up moving them cause it screwed up when I tried, I now just delete them and add new ones.
i'll give it a try
thanks

i know in the past i was like dean and had to start over
and when you forget to write down the times of the ones you want then you hit yourself in the head
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 03:42:26 PM »

i'll give it a try
thanks

i know in the past i was like dean and had to start over
and when you forget to write down the times of the ones you want then you hit yourself in the head

Please post back here if that works.  I can't find a way to highlight a marker in audacity once you've made your next track (without undo).  Also, Will, when I realize I've got to start over, I leave my tracked wav open, then open a second window, import the original wav again, then track it with that other window still open for reference on where to track.  Handy trick for the tech impaired, like me...

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 12:34:44 AM »
Personally, I have never really tried to use markers. I "SPLIT" the main file into individual separate tracks, then export multiple. If you do this, be sure to "split" the final part into a new track, otherwise it will number it as the first file.

Oh yeah, and get a batch renaming utility to do away with that extra hyphen in the track names.  8)
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 12:57:57 AM »
I can't find a way to highlight a marker in audacity once you've made your next track (without undo).

Ok, I don't know if this is osx specific, but consider this. You point and click to place your cursor at a certain sample for playing, marking, etc. Instead of selecting audio, click on the grey/blue box for your marker/label, it should turn white and put your cursor in it (try typing a letter, thats the sure fire way to know). If that works, hit delete when there isn't anything typed in the box and it deletes (just tried while i was tracking out a show).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline grtphl

• Taperssection Member
  • deadheadynugs
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 09:55:09 AM »
I can't find a way to highlight a marker in audacity once you've made your next track (without undo).

Ok, I don't know if this is osx specific, but consider this. You point and click to place your cursor at a certain sample for playing, marking, etc. Instead of selecting audio, click on the grey/blue box for your marker/label, it should turn white and put your cursor in it (try typing a letter, thats the sure fire way to know). If that works, hit delete when there isn't anything typed in the box and it deletes (just tried while i was tracking out a show).
In 1.2.6 on XP I created a 'label at selection'.  The label track appeared and there appeared a red flag in it indicating where I chose to create the label.  When I clicked on the red flag, it turned white and I was able to name it by typing.  After erasing all the text, neither the backspace or delete key removed the flag.  Right-clicking the flag has no effect.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 04:30:04 PM »
In 1.2.6 on XP I created a 'label at selection'.  The label track appeared and there appeared a red flag in it indicating where I chose to create the label.  When I clicked on the red flag, it turned white and I was able to name it by typing.  After erasing all the text, neither the backspace or delete key removed the flag.  Right-clicking the flag has no effect.

Ah, I'm on 1.3.6 / OSX

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008, 02:15:16 AM »

Maybe it's just me but when most of our work is ultimately reduced to FLACs it seems pointless to spend time jumping through hoops in an audio editor like Audacity to do track splitting and then run them all through TLH for SBE checks then out to FLAC when CDwave will do the tracking precisely (on sector boundaries), save to FLAC l and produce a cue sheet for subsequent re-use. 
I think audacity can export as FLAC, and I know it can cut tracks on sector boundaries. Ya just go to VIEW > SET SELECTION FORMAT > CDDA min:sec:frames 75fps, then go to EDIT > SNAP TO > SNAP ON and it will only let you cut on sector boundaries.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2008, 09:13:37 AM »

Maybe it's just me but when most of our work is ultimately reduced to FLACs it seems pointless to spend time jumping through hoops in an audio editor like Audacity to do track splitting and then run them all through TLH for SBE checks then out to FLAC when CDwave will do the tracking precisely (on sector boundaries), save to FLAC l and produce a cue sheet for subsequent re-use. 
I think audacity can export as FLAC, and I know it can cut tracks on sector boundaries. Ya just go to VIEW > SET SELECTION FORMAT > CDDA min:sec:frames 75fps, then go to EDIT > SNAP TO > SNAP ON and it will only let you cut on sector boundaries.

At least the version of Audacity that I'm running, no export to FLAC available.

Regards sbe's, it takes minutes to get rid of them in xACT, so I don't consider it a bother at all.  I guess it's just what you're used to.

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2008, 08:17:24 PM »

Regards sbe's, it takes minutes to get rid of them in xACT, so I don't consider it a bother at all.  I guess it's just what you're used to.

So maybe it is a Mac deal?  Sorry to have butted in...

Yeah, I don't think PC's have an sbe problem, but I'm not at all certain of that.  Your input was still definitely helpful, though.   :)

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »

Yeah, I don't think PC's have an sbe problem, but I'm not at all certain of that.  Your input was still definitely helpful, though.   :)

everyone can have SBEs, it's just how you cut your PCM file.

Second, what version are you running that can't export FLAC? I've been able to export to FLAC (both 16 and 24bit) on 1.3.5 and 1.3.6 and I'm on OSX on both boxes.

(oh, and we were missing an extra "/quote" which is why we were having quoting issues)

Offline dean

• The Dude abides...
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2008, 01:01:11 PM »

everyone can have SBEs, it's just how you cut your PCM file.

Second, what version are you running that can't export FLAC? I've been able to export to FLAC (both 16 and 24bit) on 1.3.5 and 1.3.6 and I'm on OSX on both boxes.

(oh, and we were missing an extra "/quote" which is why we were having quoting issues)

Oh, sweetness if I can export to flac in a new version.  Not sure what version I'm running, but it's been for sure 18+ months since I've updated.  I'll follow the instructions above, too, to not have sbe's and start leaving out that step altogether.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 06:47:05 PM »

mac 1.2.4
doesn't work
i'll look into thw 1.3 version after i finish this conversion

Offline rjp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2008, 09:29:04 PM »

In 1.3.6 (I'm using XP) it works a little differently; you won't find these options in the menus. Instead, you right-click the Selection Start, End/Length, or Audio Position input box in the bottom toolbar; any one of these will work. A menu will pop up with the desired format. Choose CDDA frames, and then click the Snap To checkbox.

Once you do that, all of your cuts will be on frame boundaries.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline grtphl

• Taperssection Member
  • deadheadynugs
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2009, 01:53:00 AM »
fanofthemule hooked me up with a couple of his masters (AUDs and SBDs) and gave me permission to track and circulate 'em.  I exported the tracked *.wav files from the SBD recording and was all like, "I'm gonna import that AUD *.wav file in here from the same night and line it up, give it a quick listen for verification, and send it away to TLH using the same track markers."  The efficiency almost blew my mind. 

I think Audacity is excellent freeware and suitable for the sort of audio processing we do.  One thing that greatly improved my work-flow was to stop working on the text file during tracking (I have a tendency to spent a lot of time on text files, since I think they are really cool and can be really purdy when done well).  I'd spend so much time listening to the songs when tracking the *.wav.  Working on the text file while uploading the *.flac to archive-org greatly speeds up my time spent at the komputer.

Can we broaden the thread title to "... and what's your work-flow from start-to-finish?  Do you have any tricks to share?"  Anyone here matrix in Audacity?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 02:32:00 AM by root_ »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.121 seconds with 48 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com