Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New to Matricing......  (Read 5940 times)

Offline Brian G

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yeah I'm an AKG slut....
New to Matricing......
« on: January 28, 2009, 09:10:24 AM »
Hello all,

I know this is probably a repeated question.

I am starting to do 4 channel recording with the R-44.  What software do people reccomend to do the matricing?  I have Soundforge, Acid Pro.

I did a seach on the site, I have seen people are using Wavlab. Will what I have do it ( can't find anything in the manuals about it), or do I need to pick up more software?
Mics: AKG c480b's, c460b's, c452eb's ( A60's, A51's ,A61's CK61, CK63, CK1, CK3 CK22, CK8), AKG C414 XLII/ST, AKG CK1x, CK3x M46,  Church Audio CA-11 ( Card and Omni)
Cables: Segue Dogstar Cables, Darktrain Silver Cables, Canare Starquad Cables
Pres: Lunatec V3, Naiant BiggerBox, Edirol UA-5, CA-9100 
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre 10II, Mixpre-6, Sony M10, Sony D50 ,Sony PCM-A10, Tascam DR-100mkii,Tascam DR-40, Edirol R-44
Playback: Fiio X5 v2, Fiio A3 v2, AKG 240MKII, AKG Y50BT

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: New to Matricing......
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 09:40:09 AM »
Audacity will do it easily for free...

easy jim

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 01:52:08 PM »
Audacity will do it easily for free...

That may be true, but it is like carving a turkey with a cleaver and a butter knife.  Audacity is fine to start out learning, and for basic or quick & dirty mixing; but, it is very clunky and does not have a lot of the tools that you would be able to use on other (better) multi-track editing software.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 01:58:04 PM »
Audacity is fine to start out learning, and for basic or quick & dirty mixing; but, it is very clunky and does not have a lot of the tools that you would be able to use on other (better) multi-track editing software.

Given that price is often a major issue for people when it comes to multi-track editing software, do you have recommendations for free or inexpensive alternatives?

I'll offer my usual:  Samplitude SE (~$65).  And for reference, SAM version differences.

Since the OP mentioned WaveLab -- it will work, too, but it's much more expensive, has a clunkier interface, and may or may not (I don't recall) offer object-oriented editing (which I find a big plus in SAM).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

easy jim

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 03:28:39 PM »
^ I wish I could offer suggestions in the 'budget' range, but I am not aware of many for multi-track editing.  It seems to me that starting out with Audacity is a good option for getting one's feet wet; but that you'll want to move on to something with more functionality and that is easier to fine tune if you develop a knack and interest in mixing.

Samplitude SE seems like a good option for a PC user.  Most fully functional multi-track software (w/ automation, more detailed/advanced editing tools,etc.), for both platforms, is going to cost at least a few hundred dollars.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 06:48:57 PM »
Samplitude SE seems like a good option for a PC user.  Most fully functional multi-track software (w/ automation, more detailed/advanced editing tools,etc.), for both platforms, is going to cost at least a few hundred dollars.

I'm not very familiar with some of the other fully functional multi-track apps.  What's lacking in SAM SE that those apps provide (and that might be useful to someone working with, say, a 4-ch mixdown of mics or mics + sbd)?  It's replaced everything I've needed to do in the past with WaveLab or Audition, but then again I've never done any heavy multi-tracking, other than the occasional 4-ch mixdown.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

easy jim

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 07:59:01 PM »
^ For straightforward mixes from 4 tracks, it looks to be a real bargain with an excellent bang:buck ratio.  It should do quite nicely for most things regarding which I find Audacity lacking.

It seems to me that SAM SE has almost all of the functionality I use in Digital Performer; just less FX options, no EQ automation, and some limited file processing capabilities and limitations on the numbers of buses and plug-ins you can run.  To get the same functionality out of it that I currently use in DP, I'd probably end up upgrading to the SAM 10 full or pro version.

Offline Brian G

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yeah I'm an AKG slut....
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 10:23:35 AM »
Thanks for all of the help. I deceided to start with Audicity. Its pretty easy.  Good to get my feet wet with.
Mics: AKG c480b's, c460b's, c452eb's ( A60's, A51's ,A61's CK61, CK63, CK1, CK3 CK22, CK8), AKG C414 XLII/ST, AKG CK1x, CK3x M46,  Church Audio CA-11 ( Card and Omni)
Cables: Segue Dogstar Cables, Darktrain Silver Cables, Canare Starquad Cables
Pres: Lunatec V3, Naiant BiggerBox, Edirol UA-5, CA-9100 
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre 10II, Mixpre-6, Sony M10, Sony D50 ,Sony PCM-A10, Tascam DR-100mkii,Tascam DR-40, Edirol R-44
Playback: Fiio X5 v2, Fiio A3 v2, AKG 240MKII, AKG Y50BT

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 10:45:44 AM »
Do try Audacity.  It is limited and awkward, but free.

My long time favourite is Samplitude. Check the feature list, especially if you want to burn directly to CD which some of the versions do. As for sound quality and stability it is up there with the best.

Another program to test is Reaper. It is fairly complete already and does evolve rapidly. Not expensive, you get to test it for free on downloading.

// Gunnar

Offline mblindsey

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 10:46:18 PM »

Another program to test is Reaper. It is fairly complete already and does evolve rapidly. Not expensive, you get to test it for free on downloading.

I am a big fan of Reaper.  It is solid and cheap.

--Michael
Mics:  Microtech Gefell m200/M20/nBob Actives>PFA, CA-11
Pre's: USB Pre2, 1x V3, 2x V3 w/optimod, MP2, Church Ugly
Decks: SD MixPre 6 II, R44 Oade Concert Mod, M10
Playback: Grace m9xx->Sen HD 650, Fostex TH-X00, HIFIMAN HEXX
Mixing: RME Fireface UFX->Reaper/Izotope->Yamaha HS8

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 11:05:29 PM »
I use Sony Vegas Pro, real cheap if you know where to look  ;)
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics:
Schoeps: CMC6 x 4, CMC1K x 2, KC 5G x 2, MK4,MK4V,MK41,MK21,MK22,MK8 x 2
Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+
Telefunken: TF-11 x 2, ELA M 260 x 4, M960FS x 2, TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2, M60,TK60 x2
AKG: c426b, AKG c34, nBob Actives>PFA x4, CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2
AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres:
Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs:
Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 11:46:10 PM »
I started with Cool Edit and then on to SAM SE.  I am now with SMA 10.2 Pro.  The nice thing about SAM SE is that it is a good piece of DAW software and the entry point to the whole Samplitude/Sequoia family of great DAW software.  You can start with the SE package.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline heyitsmejess

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 05:13:59 AM »

I am a big fan of Reaper.  It is solid and cheap.

--Michael
cause we zig and zag between good and bad
stumble and fall on right and wrong

http://www.rumpkemountainboys.org/

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 01:29:39 PM »

I do all of my 4 track mixdowns with Audio Montage in Wavelab5

I use Adobe Audition for multi-tracking (more than 4 tracks)

Audacity never really caught on for me....I don't really know why.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 04:59:01 AM »
Wavelab v5 won't open 4 channel files. Soundforge 9 will but can't mix tracks.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com