Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: burner problem  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
burner problem
« on: January 29, 2009, 12:11:09 AM »
my hp dvd/cd burner burns dvds fine but cant burn a cdr to save its worthless life.   dosent matter if i use good discs (TY''s) or shitty wal mart tdks.  if it even gets thru burning a disc completely it will not play in a reliable home audio player (high end sony dvd player)  Most of the time it just gives me a error message saying the disc was dirty.  wich i figure is bs cause the discs are spotless.  i looked at newegg n liteon burners are dirt cheap, but how do i find out which kind of connector i need?  is it written on the drive i pull out of my tower? 
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

Offline 69mako

• Taperssection Member
Re: burner problem
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 01:00:31 AM »
This link shows a pic of IDE (TOP) and SATA(BOTTOM).  Look at your drive and compare it to the pic.

Mako
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 01:02:37 AM by 69mako »
http://db.etree.org/69mako

007: Church Audio CA-14c -> Church Audio St-9100 preamp -> R-09HR

Open: Busman BSC1 mics (X2) -> Hydra Cables (X2) -> Tmod R4

Offline rjp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 09:01:26 AM »
Have you tried burning at different speeds? At slower speeds (usually 12x or less) the burner should record in constant-linear-velocity mode instead of constant-angular-velocity. Since the CD was designed as a CLV medium in the first place, this might give you better results.

Of course, different burners can give different results. One of my systems has an NEC burner, and if I use anything other than TY, the disc won't play in my father's old (pre-recordable-CD-era) player, even though my car stereo has no problems with the disc. On the other hand, Memorex Lightscribe discs burnt by the new Lite-On drive in my recently-built server will play just fine in the old player.

Weirdly, I tried that Lite-On (a SATA drive) in my Shuttle cube, and it would reliably cause XP to bluescreen, while working fine under Linux. I put the NEC back into the Shuttle, and put the new drive into my Linux-only server box...
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 12:44:16 PM »
thanks guys
i cant figure out how to get the burner to change speeds  i'm using sonics record now plus
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 01:12:07 PM »
Burners are really so inexpensive nowadays that you should just buy a new one and save the time you'd spend on a workaround and just be done with it.

There is such a huge mass production of these drives that they are not built as long lasting as before.  Corners are cut, laser parts are not as stout becuase you can replace a unit after a few years for $30.

Check your unit with the great pics 69mako provided and hit up newegg.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com