Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What can Sound Studio or Amadeus do for me that Audacity can't (Mac)  (Read 9656 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
I've been using Audacity (for Mac, 1.3.7) for awhile now and don't find it terribly complicated to use, though I also do pretty simple stuff - label the tracks, export multiple as FLAC, do some basic EQing, fade ins/outs, and occasionally try and cut down between-song clapping or chatter.  I have not tried, for example, something complex like a matrix mix, or more precise editing.  Since this new Mac version can do the FLAC export itself, that has been a big plus over the less-great Windows version I used before.

I know Audition is the gold standard, but that is probably more than I need.  Is there a particular advantage to either Sound Studio or Amadeus over Audacity? 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
Re: What can Sound Studio or Amadeus do for me that Audacity can't (Mac)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 04:19:46 PM »
I've been using Audacity (for Mac, 1.3.7) for awhile now and don't find it terribly complicated to use, though I also do pretty simple stuff - label the tracks, export multiple as FLAC, do some basic EQing, fade ins/outs, and occasionally try and cut down between-song clapping or chatter.  I have not tried, for example, something complex like a matrix mix, or more precise editing.  Since this new Mac version can do the FLAC export itself, that has been a big plus over the less-great Windows version I used before.

I know Audition is the gold standard, but that is probably more than I need.  Is there a particular advantage to either Sound Studio or Amadeus over Audacity? 
I haven't used mac software, but I do use Wavelab on a PC.  The main thing I found is that it can do *real time* effects.  So, you can put some EQ, compression or whatever in, and play it in real time with that effect.  You can do things like enable/disable that effect periodically (and with eyes closed) try to hear the difference.  Audacity only works in batch mode, not realtime.

Another thing about Wavelab is the "montage" feature, where you can line up several tracks and do a mix of them.  For example, line up soundboard, mics, and maybe a hat worn mic track too, and do a mix between them.  Each track can have its own effects too.  I think many other packages (protools, etc) have some similar capabilities, though the montage is the nicest for what we do, IMO.

I think there is a Linux program called "ardour" that does this (probably in "protools" style) but I have not bothered with this since I do my other audio stuff (cd writing, tracking, etc) on Windows anyway.  Another Windows program worth exploring is a shareware package called "reaper".  This uses a protools like interface as well.  It is useful for both multitrack recording and mixing.

The main advantage of Audacity I would say is, aside from being free (!), that it has the same interface on Windows/ Mac/ Linux.  This would be a great advantage if you want to train users on the software, then run it on multiple platforms.

In summary, no need to change your workflow, but it is useful to try other packages every now and then to be aware of what is out there.

Richard
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 04:24:17 PM by illconditioned »
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 06:15:55 PM »
I use Amadeus Pro (a minor upgrade) and the main thing I can do is
track out my wave form and then export the entire file to FLAC
at whatever level I choose just like CDWave on a PC
without selecting each track individually then exporting, then deleting each track

I haven't used Audacity much in the last 2 years, but you couldn't do that then

I have played a little with Sound Studio, but found it uses a lot of memory

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 03:49:20 PM »
I use Amadeus Pro (a minor upgrade) and the main thing I can do is
track out my wave form and then export the entire file to FLAC
at whatever level I choose just like CDWave on a PC
without selecting each track individually then exporting, then deleting each track

I haven't used Audacity much in the last 2 years, but you couldn't do that then

I have played a little with Sound Studio, but found it uses a lot of memory

Audacity will now do this - I just drop a "label" in each spot where I want a track, go to "export multiple", and it will export multiple FLAC files, labeled as per the labels I put in.  I still like CDWave for the PC better, but until they have that for Mac, it's pretty easy.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 07:08:21 PM »

Audacity has never felt very Mac-like to me, and I have also struggled with it.  I use Amadeus almost exclusively now.  I love being able to open and work on FLAC files.  Also, I like that I can export cue sheets.  I can then save my original FLAC file, but export to multiple FLACs, or other formats, any time I need.

keytohwy

Offline Əkoostikal

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • One of these days....
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 03:44:24 PM »
Does anyone know if Amadeus can be set to cut tracks on sector boundaries when you drop a marker in? it would be nice if you could just place a marker and it would automatically place it like CDWAVE does. If anyone knows how to do this so I don't have to use shntool to fix sbe's that would be much appreciated.

Thanks
BONGWATER via Etree:

"Phil Keeps on growing, never even slowing, never really knowing all of the minds he's really blowing!!!!!"

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 11:53:09 PM »
I guess one question (as so far I havn't seen any differences noted other then personal UI preferences) is dither/resample quality. I'm using the shaped dither in Audacity and I'm trying to figure out if there is a noticeable improvement elsewhere for OSX.

Second (and tertiary as I try and avoid dickering with stuff); the effects for compression/EQ outside of the delivered Apple Unit effects.

Comments?
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 10:28:52 AM »
I guess one question (as so far I havn't seen any differences noted other then personal UI preferences) is dither/resample quality. I'm using the shaped dither in Audacity and I'm trying to figure out if there is a noticeable improvement elsewhere for OSX.

Second (and tertiary as I try and avoid dickering with stuff); the effects for compression/EQ outside of the delivered Apple Unit effects.

Comments?

Yes, I am curious about the effects, too - I try not to do much myself other than light EQ and compression/vol reduction on between-song clapping, but I assume that with a more powerful tool, I could do more... I have no doubt that an experienced user of Audition, or Soundforge for Windows machines, has a lot more options.  I just am not sure I know enough about Audition to justify spending that much when I could be spending it on mics and other things that I KNOW will improve my recordings.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 11:03:39 AM »
Yes, I am curious about the effects, too - I try not to do much myself other than light EQ and compression/vol reduction on between-song clapping, but I assume that with a more powerful tool, I could do more...

Yeah, for example in Audacity on the Mac, you have 2 EQ plugins. One is delivered with OSX as an AU, while the other comes bundled with Audacity... So some of these are cross-population (the AUs), while others would not be. I'm assuming that other programs operate the same way in this day and age.

I've heard people advise (more so for studio work, but I think the general advice holds true): "spend as little as you are comfortable with on the program, and as much as your comfortable with on the plugins" as they do the majority of your heavy lifting. Thats what sparked my inquiry.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 12:35:17 PM »
Regarding sector boundaries, from the Amadeus Pro manual:

• Modify Markers... This item allows to modify all the markers of a file in one go. If Change name
is checked, AmadeusPro will use the corresponding name for the first marker and will try to make
a guess on how to increment it for the subsequent markers. For example, if you specify ‘Track 01’,
the next markers will be called ‘Track 02’, ‘Track 03’, etc. The Align position field allows to align
the marker positions on a specified time grid. For example, specifying ‘75 Hz’ for a file sampled
at 44.1kHz allows to align markers with sector boundaries on an Audio CD (tracks on Audio CD’s
always have a length that is a multiple of 1/75th of a second). This is useful to burn a CD without
gaps between songs.

HTH,
keytohwy

Offline Əkoostikal

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • One of these days....
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 02:00:39 PM »
Regarding sector boundaries, from the Amadeus Pro manual:

• Modify Markers... This item allows to modify all the markers of a file in one go. If Change name
is checked, AmadeusPro will use the corresponding name for the first marker and will try to make
a guess on how to increment it for the subsequent markers. For example, if you specify ‘Track 01’,
the next markers will be called ‘Track 02’, ‘Track 03’, etc. The Align position field allows to align
the marker positions on a specified time grid. For example, specifying ‘75 Hz’ for a file sampled
at 44.1kHz allows to align markers with sector boundaries on an Audio CD (tracks on Audio CD’s
always have a length that is a multiple of 1/75th of a second). This is useful to burn a CD without
gaps between songs.

HTH,
keytohwy

Thanks!! I figured there was a way to do it just hadn't figured it out yet.

Edit to add: That works perfectly...... I have been waiting on a prog. for the mac to be able to do this AND generate a .cue sheet. I have been using Sound studio, and Soundtrack Pro and neither or them can do that for me and batch slit > Flac. I think I may really end up liking this one. And since it allows VST plugins I can still run Ozone and RX for mastering and dithering.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 02:24:41 PM by Əkoostikal »
BONGWATER via Etree:

"Phil Keeps on growing, never even slowing, never really knowing all of the minds he's really blowing!!!!!"

Offline paullySC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'll stir fry you in my wok
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 04:45:01 PM »

I recently converted to Mac and will probably get amadeus pro, how would the workflow for amadeus differ from the Audacity workflow in the sticky?
I'm wondering if I should amplifying my recordings as a standard step, how would I do that properly? thanks.

paul
"If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it."

Studio Projects C4 > PMD 660 ACM

Shows:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com