Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DC Bias adjust  (Read 4092 times)

Offline Brennan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Currently hooked on open taping
DC Bias adjust
« on: June 29, 2009, 10:33:37 PM »
When would you use this?
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
Re: DC Bias adjust
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 02:27:05 AM »
Last time I used it was when setting the idle current in a class AB amplifier. Totally hardware. Guess this is not what you are asking for though in the Computer Recording section? ?

G

Offline Brennan

• Taperssection Member
  • Currently hooked on open taping
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 08:16:00 AM »
Last time I used it was when setting the idle current in a class AB amplifier. Totally hardware. Guess this is not what you are asking for though in the Computer Recording section? ?

G

I'd quote the rest of you too but I'm on my phone...way too much work :p

@ghellquist - you're right, I'm referring to the setting in Adobe Audition...purely software based. thanks though :)

@U-Ca - I'm using AA v3 but yeah, it's in the Normalize tool right? That's what I'm referring to. I was wondering what that would be used for..

Indeed my latest recording did appear the slightest bit off balance and I took a gamble and DID use the DC Offset correction to successfully center both channels.

I guess this is where my understanding lacks: how does an offcentered CHANNEL affect playback? And what does that offcenter tell us? If it helps I did brickwall my pre at the last show, the same one that needed DC bias correction.

TIA
Team SoCal

Church Audio Cardiods > Church Audio STC-9000 Preamp > Edirol R-09 (24/48) <- Click for info on each!

ilduclo

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 10:08:50 AM »
Every time I'd transfer MiniDisc audio to my PC I'd see DC offset.  In Audition there is a setting in the Amplify tool box to center the wave.  Not sure what caused it but it might be a function of my sound card. 

BTW, you should do this before you do any other post processing.

nope, if you have clipping and want to correct it, you need to do it BEFORE dc offset correction :alert:

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 04:59:06 PM »
This question can be answered. And you have some answers above.

Adjust for DC is used to remove a DC offset from a signal.
It can be there either when clipping a converter or when the converter "elects" to output a signal not quite on zero. It might be a sign of a faulty or even only low quality converter although some really high-end boxes might instead indicate what you have outside the converter. Or when clipping, the operator has been a bit too heavy handed. Well, you really never know. Regardless, get rid of it.

I tend to run a high-pass filter set to somewher between about 10 Hz and 30 Hz as there is no music down there anyway. At least none that the typical domestic speakers can play. A specialized sub may output some signal down there but I would not count on it.

From the help file.

Adjust For DC Compensates for DC offset. (For a definition, see “DC offset” on page 274.) During recording, any offset is indicated by clip indicators in the meters.
Note: Select Adjust For DC if your sound card records with a DC offset, shifting the center of the waveform above or below the zero amplitude line. This offset can dramatically shift the amplitude measured by meters, causing them to display levels inaccurately.

// Gunnar

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com