Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Izotope RX Advanced  (Read 8865 times)

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Izotope RX Advanced
« on: July 30, 2010, 08:28:41 AM »
I have obtained this software for audio editing. Is this the gold standard in terms of dither/resample? Something about it's algorithm? Have been using Cool Edit Pro and Audacity.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Izotope RX Advanced
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
Check out the comparisons of sample rate converters here:
http://src.infinitewave.ca/
Nothing comes out better than the Izotope. 

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 07:09:03 PM »
Wave Editor a Mac only program designed in Cocoa incorporates iZotope's 64-bit SRC™ and MBIT+™ dither and also incorporats iZotope's SonicFit™ time/pitch technology.

http://www.audiofile-engineering.com/waveeditor/
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 07:31:11 PM »
I use RX v1.3 at work to remove tones and line noise from tele-conference recordings.
It's noise reduction feature works great for our needs. Just this week I used it to remove a constant "beep" tone  (every 2 - 3 seconds) from a very important conference call. It did leave behind a slight artifact noise, but the "beep" tone, was totally removed and made the client (and my boss) very happy.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 10:14:43 AM »
Check out the comparisons of sample rate converters here:
Nothing comes out better than the Izotope.

Excellent. Thanks.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline taperj

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 06:46:47 PM »
iZotope RX is definitely a nice little suite, the spectral repair and declicker have come to be standards in my tool belt for removing things like thuds from beachballs. I'll have to start using it for dither/resample now as well!  ;D

J
Rig: Neumann skm184 or Neumann skm140 > Sound Devices Mixpre > Olympus LS-10 or Korg MR-1

Just ask the axis, he knows everything.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 09:14:29 PM »
iZotope RX is definitely a nice little suite, the spectral repair and declicker have come to be standards in my tool belt for removing things like thuds from beachballs. I'll have to start using it for dither/resample now as well!  ;D

J

I found testing their dither routines (or routines in general) particularly revealing when you dither to 8bit and listen to the noise.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline weedwacker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 01:50:41 PM »
The three best resamplers I've used are the following in order from best to least
1. Izotope RX Advanced
2. SoX
3. Adobe Auditon 3.0

Izotope's resampler hands down gives the warmest fullest sound after resampling using the highest quality settings. SoX is pretty close also using the rate -v -s switches. AA3 with pre/post set at 999 is pretty good also. Everything else doesn't even come close in sound quality after resampling.

As stated by DigiGal you can find the Izotope src resampler in a much cheaper option as a plugin for wave editor on mac's. SoX is hands down the best freeware audio resampling program out there but you have to work in a with the command line to use it.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 07:11:11 PM »
The three best resamplers I've used are the following in order from best to least
1. Izotope RX Advanced
2. SoX
3. Adobe Auditon 3.0

Izotope's resampler hands down gives the warmest fullest sound after resampling using the highest quality settings. SoX is pretty close also using the rate -v -s switches. AA3 with pre/post set at 999 is pretty good also. Everything else doesn't even come close in sound quality after resampling.

As stated by DigiGal you can find the Izotope src resampler in a much cheaper option as a plugin for wave editor on mac's. SoX is hands down the best freeware audio resampling program out there but you have to work in a with the command line to use it.

have you tried r8brain or r8brain PRO?  I think I'd put the free version of r8brain up there was SoX among the best freeware audio resampling programs.  and I'd put r8Brain PRO right up there with Izotope.  It's certainly worth looking into if you haven't yet tried it...

kirk97132

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 07:49:28 PM »
^^^ R8brain same as Izotope:

Offline weedwacker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 08:47:41 PM »
Music should be judged by your ears not your eyes.

Offline weedwacker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 08:53:01 PM »
1. Izotope RX Advanced
2. SoX
3. Adobe Auditon 3.0

have you tried r8brain or r8brain PRO?  I think I'd put the free version of r8brain up there was SoX among the best freeware audio resampling programs.  and I'd put r8Brain PRO right up there with Izotope.  It's certainly worth looking into if you haven't yet tried it...

I haven't tried R8brain PRO but have used the freeware version of R8brain and it is no comparison to SoX when it comes to analog recorded audio transferred at higher samplerates and bitdepths that is then resampled back down to redbook cd quality 16 bit 44100 kHz wav files. Digitally recorded music there probably won't be as much if any of a difference in the end result. The better the dynamic range and nuanced details of a recording the more apparent the limitations are in how and what you use to resample the audio.

Offline weedwacker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 09:58:28 PM »
Here is a little listening test to see how good people's ears are.
I am upping two samples both recorded at 24 bit / 96000 kHz
Each sample has been downsampled to 16 bit / 44100 kHz using Izotope RX Advanced, Adobe Audtion 3, SoX and R8brain free using the highest quality settings for each. I've also included the sample in it's original format at 24 bit / 96000 kHz.

Sample 1
recorded digitally @ 24 bit / 96000 kHz
http://www.sendspace.com/file/brn821

Sample 2
transferred analog(cassette) to digital @ 24 bit / 96000 kHz
http://www.sendspace.com/file/xee9m0

kirk97132

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 02:31:38 PM »
Music should be judged by your ears not your eyes.

Funny how the program that everyone thinks sounds the best has the best specs. 

Offline jbw

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 12:43:59 AM »
What setting is everyone using in RX for downsampling? I do not have RX in front of me right now, but I just got it recently and noticed that there were quite a few options whilst downsampling. IIRC the manual does not delve much into the options for resampling., that is if IRC.
Lots of Mics
Sound Devices 722

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 07:15:10 PM »
Best there is at the moment
Mbit+ and iZotope dither also in SF10pro

R8brain pro is spendy and flakey at $130....
Doesn't know bwff...
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com