Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Adobe Audition CS5.5  (Read 22666 times)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Adobe Audition CS5.5
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2011, 02:47:48 PM »
You could always use the hard limit function too where you specify how much amplitude you want and then just limit it at -0.1dB.
yes but not quite the same thing.  I think he is trying to boost the file so that the highest peak is at  -0.1db.  with the hardlimit you would actually boost everything then if a peak went over -0.1dB it would limit that peak(s) to -0.1dB.  Depending on the amount of boost this may or may not achieve the desired result.  If you add too much boost(or input gain) at the beginning you start to lose dynamic range and with large amounts of boost you get the "stick of butter" looking wave form. 

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2011, 03:22:46 PM »
I believe the function in Audacity that acidjack is looking for in Audition is, indeed, "Normalize".  Unless I'm mistaken (and using his example), if you select a waveform in Audition and have the program Normalize it to -0.1 dB, it will bring the highest peaks to -0.1 dB and increase the amplitude of the rest of the selected waveform the same increment.  It doesn't work like a hard limiter or a compressor.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2011, 03:09:43 PM »
^^ Ahh.  I thought I had read on TS that "Normalize" actually did something different/"bad" to the waveform. If it's the same as "Amplfiy to -0.1" I'm good to go!
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2011, 05:00:03 PM »
^^ Ahh.  I thought I had read on TS that "Normalize" actually did something different/"bad" to the waveform.

I don't know if "Normalize" is bad, per se, and I suppose it might work differently on different programs, but depending on the recording it might not always be the best thing to use.  As an example, if the waveform you're working on hovers somewhere around, say, -5 dB but you have a few peaks from a hard drum hit or loud handclap closer to -1 or -2 dB, using "Normalize" will adjust everything according to those peaks and your recording might still be rather low in volume.  In those cases, it could be better to hard limit those peaks first before normalizing or manually raising the amplitude across the whole waveform a set amount as the peaks only last milliseconds and shouldn't cause noticeable distortion on the recording.

A few threads regarding this are on the Adobe forums HERE and HERE.

kirk97132

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2011, 11:02:18 AM »
^^ Ahh.  I thought I had read on TS that "Normalize" actually did something different/"bad" to the waveform. If it's the same as "Amplfiy to -0.1" I'm good to go!

By what you had asked originally I believe this is what you are refering to.  AFAIK and everything I have read about Audition, it only brings up the gain on the entire file so that the highest peak will be at the level you specify IE: -1dB. 

I don't know if "Normalize" is bad, per se, and I suppose it might work differently on different programs, but depending on the recording it might not always be the best thing to use.  As an example, if the waveform you're working on hovers somewhere around, say, -5 dB but you have a few peaks from a hard drum hit or loud handclap closer to -1 or -2 dB, using "Normalize" will adjust everything according to those peaks and your recording might still be rather low in volume.  In those cases, it could be better to hard limit those peaks first before normalizing or manually raising the amplitude across the whole waveform a set amount as the peaks only last milliseconds and shouldn't cause noticeable distortion on the recording.

A few threads regarding this are on the Adobe forums HERE and HERE.

There is some merit to using a limiter like you said, for example:

if you have two peaks from an extra hard drum hit that are 10dB higher than everything else then only using normailze will make those peaks the max on the WHOLE file.  If you THEN ran a hard limit with a 10dB gain(or boost) applied it would limit those two errant large peaks and bring the rest of the file up.  When I am mixing multitrack I will use a limiter on drums a lot of times for just this reason, but I do it while mixing.  I think the way to approach hardlimiting as a final operation is to have a light touch.  You don't want to lose your dynamic range or end up with the stick of butter looking wave form.  To achieve the best of both worlds a two step approach might be best.  First normailze.... if you are happy with the results then you're done...if the wave is still a little low due to some random large spike, then run the hardlimit, with your gain set at a level that will bring the majority of the levels up to where you want then while the limiter handles the overs that will happen.  Hope that helps
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 11:06:21 AM by kirkd »

kirk97132

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »
Well after using it for the trial period here's what I got. I'm running a Levono with i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz; 8GB RAM; windows 7.  I had a really long multitrack show to mix down.  It was a cancer benefit show5.5 hours total. There was a total of 36 tracks all recorded at 24/48.  I always run tracks in Audition @ 32 bit float.  It only took about 10 minutes or so to load the tracks originally.   It seemed like the very first click of play on the transport control took 20 -30 seconds and after that it was pretty instantaneous.  Even with the huge file set playback was smooth and did not have any stuttering.  Most of the effects from the AA3 version are there BUT not always in the same place or shown the same as before.  That was kinda a pain in the ass at times.  Even after loading effects and running multiple buses playback was still smooth.  As a comparison to AA3 it is basically the same, with slightly tweaked looks and layout.  I can't comment on how it is on CPU usage because the AA3 I used was on a different computer that was much slower and less than half the ram.  I am going for the new version.  I like audition anyway and since I can get the discounted price it's a no brainier for me.  If you liked AA3 or even AA2 then this version has a very small learning curve and you could jump in and do what you were doing on the previous version immediately.

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2011, 02:33:38 AM »
Thanks for the assessment, kirk.  I'll have to give it a try at some point.

adrianf74

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2011, 10:37:08 AM »
As mentioned in the first post, many of the options that we use/need/require have been removed from AA3 in this newly rewritten version.   I'm running an i3-540 and noticed that CS5.5 was a lot faster on my machine but with the missing features, I rolled back to 3.1.  Might be time to look at other software solutions. :(

kirk97132

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2011, 04:52:20 PM »
I dunno, I was using AA 3 for a long time, and while there are some features that are gone, a lot have just been rearranged and/or are not accessible in the same ways or windows.   All in all, while I still use AA3 on my old machine I'm sticking with CS5.5 on the new machine.  Just the ability to utilize more than 4GB of ram is huge for me.  I had recorded a huge show, 39 tracks 5.5 hours each.  The old AA3 could not play this file, not even without any efx added, and it took HOURS to load.  Especially something that big.   The CS5.5 loads it in all first time in about 0 min and can play everything even with the CPU intensive effects that have warning prompts.  I also like the way things save better and the smoothness of jumping between MT view and single track view.   I do occasionally want an effect that is missing but it is becoming less and less and I use it.  I can't say that the retail price tag is worth it but if you can find someone who can get you the educational price then for $150 it's a great deal. 

kirk97132

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2011, 11:10:24 AM »
Well I ran into my first little stuttering playback yesterday.  Had not saved the multitrack after doing a ton of work....cutting hour long opener from 30 track recording while running 20 buses including three with the CPU intensive warnings.  EFX of all kinds...EQ, limiters, MBC, compressor, amplifly, dynamics, gates yet once I did a save things settled down.  I'm pretty impressed it took everything I threw at it and remained stable  while playing a 90 minute show.  DId see that no stretch in multitrack view now :(

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2011, 05:14:34 PM »
So I am running CS5.5 on my macbook pro and once I open a .wav file that has already been transferred to my HD via SD. Card i occassionally get the "detected dropped samples" alert in the bottom right corner.  Mind you that this is just playing a file that has already bee transferred to my computer.  I am not using CS5.5 to record shows directly.

The files are intact and not missing any samples on the original SD card.  Once dragged to macbook they are still intact.  When playing in CS5.5 the alert comes up...and to make things worse it doesnt happen everytime.  I can reload the same file and audition seems to handle it fine.

i am wondering if I indeed am dropping samples or if this is a bug of some sort?  I already have my audio hardware preferences for buffer set at maximum?

Anyone else experience this?  i see it has been mentioned online via a google search but no recommendations for a fix have been made and I dont know how widespread this issue is.

Any help is appreciated...
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
04/22 Howie Day
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
05/10 Adam Bodine Quartet
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common
06/19 Sensational Barnes Brothers
06/20 Adam Bodine Quintet
07/19 Chali 2na & Cut Chemist
07/30 Tomorrows Bad Seeds

kirk97132

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2011, 05:28:49 PM »
Never had that error message pop up.  Dunno if could be Mac related or not, I run a PC.  But, never have seen any reference to dropped samples. 

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2011, 09:42:46 PM »
I've had this happen. I'm pretty sure there are no dropped samples. If I press play and just let it go without jumping around that message never appears. As soon as I move the cursor (thus interrupting playback) then it appears.

The way I figure it, even if there are dropped samples there's nothing I can do about it. I format the SD card in my recorder prior to recording and transfer/edit the resulting file to my Mac the same way I've always done and never heard a problem. The recorder is not dropping samples.

I could go back and open files that never were opened in Audition and recreate this issue every time...press play and let it go = no problem....move the cursor = the message appears. I think either there are no dropped samples upon playback and it's caused by moving the cursor/starting/stopping or else Audition is the most sensitive software ever (but still my ears have NEVER heard any problem).

I'm no expert though...if you find out something else about this and it turns out that it makes a difference somehow, let us know!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 09:44:56 PM by ashevillain »

Offline Cheesecadet

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2011, 10:41:51 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I kinda figured it was just a bug because I was able to play files through as well without the message popping up.  I never could hear anything wrong either.  Just thought I check if others had the same experience.

Thanks
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:

Upcoming:
04/22 Howie Day
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common

Offline Cheesecadet

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2012, 12:16:31 AM »
So I talked with Tech support at Adobe today concerning the "detected dropped samples" message that I would occasionally see.  They assured me that there are no dropped samples if you are transferring from a SD card to HD.  Just a bug that needs to be fixed, and they made a note of it.

However, they did mention that there is a possibility of dropped samples only when directly recording into Audition and you do not have enough memory and have latency issues.

So to sum it up:

1.) Transferring from SD card = No possibility of dropped samples.
2.) Recording directly into Audition = Possible dropped samples if your computer doesn't have enough speed/memory.

Oh yeah, and as far as iZotope goes in CS5.5, I do not think it applies to the SRC or Dithering...which is why I still use Wave Editor for that.  It looks like it only applies to Time Stretching in CS5.5...FWIW.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 12:33:40 AM by Cheesecadet »

Vinyl:

Upcoming:
04/22 Howie Day
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com