Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ALAC Now Open Source  (Read 25612 times)

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
ALAC Now Open Source
« on: October 28, 2011, 12:47:43 PM »
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/27/apples-lossless-audio-codec-alac-now-open-source/

I wonder how this will affect FLAC - I can't see ALAC supplanting FLAC
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline 12milluz

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: ALAC Now Open Source
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 01:42:36 PM »
I was excited to see this. Right now I have an iPod video, with Rockbox. Problem is, I hate the GUI of Rockbox, so I only use it for my recordings, and I use the regular iPod firmware for the rest of my music. It's a pain to have to restart the iPod when I want to change. Hopefully I can convert these FLACs to ALACs for my iPod.
Audio-Technica AT853(c), Audio-Technica AT825>Naiant Littlebox>Sony PCM-M10

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 01:51:47 PM »
dbpoweramp will convert FLAC to ALAC now, no need to wait.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 05:06:07 PM »

Personally, I don't either.  I think FLAC is too entrenched in the community.  APE never really caught on and nobody encodes to SHN anymore either.  It's nice that ALAC has been made open-sourced (probably a marketing move on Apple's part) but does it really offer anything that FLAC doesn't already have aside from a fan base that loves Apple and its products?  If I'm missing something regarding the format, please let me know.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 05:14:47 PM »
I am a big fan of open source anything and I don't know why this wasn't released as open source originally.
Hopefully the average digital music person will understand how much mp3s suck.

Reddit page of linux action show

http://www.reddit.com/r/LinuxActionShow/comments/lrpfe/apple_lossless_music_format_goes_opensource/
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 05:18:27 PM »

Personally, I don't either.  I think FLAC is too entrenched in the community.  APE never really caught on and nobody encodes to SHN anymore either.  It's nice that ALAC has been made open-sourced (probably a marketing move on Apple's part) but does it really offer anything that FLAC doesn't already have aside from a fan base that loves Apple and its products?  If I'm missing something regarding the format, please let me know.
I think this is really a win-win for the lossless community.  With increased data speeds there is a chance people will start wanting the larger "lossless" files.  I'm sticking with FLAC (all of my live masters are as such, all of my CD rips are as such and my live downloads are as well). 

Hopefully this might get record labels to wisen up.  My buddy and I were talking about the whole "remastered in 24-bit stamp on CD's but it's pointless as they're sold on a 16-bit, archaic platform.  I can record 24/96 if I want but can't get my music in 24/48... ack.  Maybe this will help spur a change.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 05:19:30 PM »
I"d be much happier if Apple joined the 21st century and supported FLAC natively. I use Apple Lossless as it's so convenient. My iPod Touch likes it, my wife's 160 gb iPod Classic likes it, my son's iPod likes it, and I can control iTunes from my iPod Touch and use it around the house through my pc > stereo connection.

Haven't found a music player that supports gapless playback of FLAC that works as well in as many situations. So, I encode and archive as FLAC, but end up making ALAC copies of the stuff I really like.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 06:07:56 PM »

Personally, I don't either.  I think FLAC is too entrenched in the community.  APE never really caught on and nobody encodes to SHN anymore either.  It's nice that ALAC has been made open-sourced (probably a marketing move on Apple's part) but does it really offer anything that FLAC doesn't already have aside from a fan base that loves access to Apple and its products?  If I'm missing something regarding the format, please let me know.

Well I think you've somewhat hit the nail on the head -- ALAC offers the ability to be played on Apple devices, which FLAC cannot. 

So I'm happy to see this not because of fanboy love for Apple, but because I own Apple products.  If Apple won't integrate FLAC into their devices, this is the next best thing I guess.  Among my other Apple computers and gadgets, I've got an ipad, ipod classic, and ipod touch.  It'll be nice to have more apps and support for playing and creating ALAC files for these devices since FLAC isn't an (easy) option for them.  (Yes, I recognize that integrating FLAC into their products might have been a better option, but for whatever reason, that is not on the table.)
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

adrianf74

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 06:18:30 PM »
So I'm happy to see this not because of fanboy love for Apple, but because I own Apple products.  If Apple won't integrate FLAC into their devices, this is the next best thing I guess.  ot on the table.)
Umm... I think this is one of the reasons I own no iPod, no iPhone and no iPad.  The day Apple wises up completely and supports FLAC natively, as many others have (including my Android phone), I might consider buying their products.  But until that day happens, I'm glad to avoid using them.  :)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 06:46:25 PM »
Well I think you've somewhat hit the nail on the head -- ALAC offers the ability to be played on Apple devices, which FLAC cannot. 

So I'm happy to see this not because of fanboy love for Apple, but because I own Apple products.  If Apple won't integrate FLAC into their devices, this is the next best thing I guess.  Among my other Apple computers and gadgets, I've got an ipad, ipod classic, and ipod touch.  It'll be nice to have more apps and support for playing and creating ALAC files for these devices since FLAC isn't an (easy) option for them.  (Yes, I recognize that integrating FLAC into their products might have been a better option, but for whatever reason, that is not on the table.)

http://androidandme.com/2011/10/news/the-lawsuits-are-about-to-get-uglier-apple-wins-patent-on-slide-to-unlock/

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/vendetta-steve-jobs-vowed-to-spend-last-dying-breath-going-thermonuclear-war-on-google/

So they decided to release one thing as open source and obtain a patent on something that shouldn't have a patent and want to destroy a competitor.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 06:47:57 PM by rastasean »
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 07:06:11 PM »
It's true that the patent system in the US is broken. 
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 09:32:30 PM »
It's true that the patent system in the US is broken.

I think that is an understatement. ;)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 10:32:49 PM »

was there no way to convert to ALAC on windows before yesterday?  I ask because I don't know the answer...not trying to come off as combative or anything.  It's been easy to do on OS X for a while now, so as a mac user, this news doesn't really mean anything for me.  Just wondering if it wasn't a common thing on windows

adrianf74

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 11:16:05 PM »
was there no way to convert to ALAC on windows before yesterday?  I ask because I don't know the answer...not trying to come off as combative or anything.  It's been easy to do on OS X for a while now, so as a mac user, this news doesn't really mean anything for me.  Just wondering if it wasn't a common thing on windows
There have been ways (such as using Foobar2000) before yesterday. I think we're talking more about the long(er)-term impact of Apple doing this and that maybe consumers will wake up and start downloading lossless audio over crappy MP3s.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 12:32:02 AM »

dbpoweramp will do it with the free version

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com