Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: EAC fails, what next?  (Read 4228 times)

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Southern Shelter
EAC fails, what next?
« on: December 13, 2011, 02:42:33 PM »
I'm in the processing of ripping some audio CD-Rs to FLAC. These are my "masters", at that time (1999-2001) I was retreading DAT tapes (yeah, I know  :-\), these CD-Rs are all that exist of most of these shows.

Now EAC is failing to rip some of the dicsc. Some tracks will rip properly, others will just cancel, leaving the show incomplete. What's my next best option to get the data from these? They will play in iTunes, etc. so the data isn't completely gone.

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: EAC fails, what next?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 03:03:46 PM »
Some things I've done that worked for me were.  Set drive to spin up before extraction. Go back and do the bad track or do them one at a time if there is more than one.  IE: rip track 8 finish then start over and rip track 9 etc, etc.  Try a different drive(s).  I have three different drives and sometimes one will get a clean rip when the others won't.  That has worked about 90% of the time.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 03:06:56 PM »
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/index.php/support/faq/extraction-questions/

Try burst mode. This bypasses error correction.

Have you tried to extract with iTunes? If their player will tolerate the errors, perhaps their copy routine will as well.

Last ditch efforts? Try either a dual cd recorder, or go out analog from a cd player into your recorder.

Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 03:09:39 PM »

that's what I would do but only on those tracks.  then listen to them to make sure they are ok.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 04:08:25 PM »
I would try a different brand/model drive first and then what others have suggested with the settings.

A drive that I have found to work very well even on hard to read disks (although it is SCSI) is the Plextor 40x CD-ROM drive - you can find them for about $20 shipped on ebay if you shop around enough - but you will still need a SCSI controller (that will work in your OS) and cable

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-04N2964-Plextor-PX-40TSI-SCSI-CD-ROM-Drive-/280409940593
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 04:11:28 PM by H²O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 04:24:34 PM »
Try CD-DAE. It's the only other program besides EAC I found that would do an additional extraction and compare it with the original rip. Not as robust as EAC but very useful for the discs EAC had problems with. If CD-DAE and EAC both have problems extracting then try the other suggestions (different drive, burst mode) in this thread.

< note that this is an old program and I do not know whether it works with anything newer than XP >
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 04:30:19 PM by flipp »

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 04:37:47 PM »
Thanks everyone

ilduclo

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 05:46:58 PM »
soundforge rips for me, mostly pretty well, too when eac fails.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 06:18:05 PM »
Some drives are better than others. I won't suggest you go out and buy a legacy SCSI drive, but there are probably some newer dvd drives out there that may have better luck with the error correction.

When all else fails, burst mode is just fine if there are no audible glitches.

Optical media is the devil.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 08:57:56 PM »
Try either a dual cd recorder, or go out analog from a cd player into your recorder.

I once had a cd fail with cdparanoia and eac, but it would play fine through the hiccups just fine in my dvd player. So I used the spdif out on my player and recorded it that way.

that's what I would do but only on those tracks.  then listen to them to make sure they are ok.

I've taken it one step further. extract by range (with a cue sheet) and then narrow it down to as small of a section as possible, then rip the entire track with some other method and patch the bad section between the secure copy sections and analyze it carefully.

troof.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 09:49:08 PM »
I won't suggest you go out and buy a legacy SCSI drive,

Oh yeah, those were great.. I have a couple of those nice Plextor SCSI drives.  I built a dedicated linux ripping machine with a local copy of the CDDB database (no network required).  With both drives cranking it would rip a CD every 30 seconds, automatically ejecting and feeding the drives.  Other than feeding CDs you only had to touch it if a disc was not in the db.  It was a ripping monster.

I should probably sell those drives since I'm not using them.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 12:14:14 AM »
Some drives are better than others. I won't suggest you go out and buy a legacy SCSI drive, but there are probably some newer dvd drives out there that may have better luck with the error correction.

When all else fails, burst mode is just fine if there are no audible glitches.

No kidding. I've tried extracting several in burst mode, and they are riddled with "scratching" sounds :( So far all the bad ones are on CD-Rs with the blue data surface.

kirk97132

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 01:09:08 AM »
Try different drive(s)  And try it doing the tracks individually one at a time. 

Offline YYzepp

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 01:03:29 PM »
Obviously trying to clean the CD itself doesn't hurt (if you do it right). :)  Before trying Burst Mode I would try another Gap Detection Accuracy mode. Sometimes when I had errors on portions of a disc changing the gap detection accuracy to another would help.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 01:31:20 PM by YYzepp »
Tony

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 05:42:45 PM »
Turtle Wax?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.109 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com