Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 24bit to 16bit  (Read 7395 times)

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
24bit to 16bit
« on: August 28, 2004, 12:01:31 PM »
Ok, learning the hard way here. What extra step do I need to take when going from 24bit down to 16bit? I ran my 24bit recording hot, so when I went down to 16bit I was clipping left and right since I had no headroom..what is the best way to fix this?
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: 24bit to 16bit
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2004, 05:20:59 PM »
hmmm, you mean if you run hot in 24 bit and dither down to 16 bit it is hotter ???
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2004, 07:00:52 PM »
when I dithered it down I got a ton of pops and clicks, levels jumping through the roof. I saw a converation on this board that if you plan to convert to 16bit that not to run the levels too hot,give your self some headroom.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

Offline dklein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2004, 07:21:42 PM »
That sounds weird - were you clipping in 24 bit?  The translation from 24 bit to 16 bit shouldn't change the levels, just the accuracy.  The only way it should top out in 16 bit is if it did the same in 24 bit.  Unless you did some post processing that pushed it beyond full scale.  You could drop the levels by 0.2dB in the 24 bit (maybe use something like L2 so you can do that and dither to 16 at the same time).

KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2004, 08:32:53 PM »
i run mine as hot as possible w/out clipping

dither to 16bit with  wavelab 5 using the uv22hr and have never experienced a problem like this

what are you using to dither?

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2004, 10:51:24 PM »
that might be the problem, I am just resampling, not dithering
In Tyler we Trust

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2004, 11:03:32 PM »
i dont understand how resampling to 44.1 or whatever you are resampling to would cause clipping though

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2004, 08:42:44 AM »
I am trying to find the thread, Tim was the one that had a bunch of info on this. I was not clipping in 24bit, the 24bit sounds great, but when I resample to 16bit it just becomes filled with pops and clicks, and watching the wave form, its now clipping....Tim you out there? I think you mentioned that this will happen due to the lack of headroom that 16bit has over 24bit
In Tyler we Trust

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2004, 09:09:58 AM »
hmmm, ive never heard anything like that

ive always ran my levels fairly aggressive lately in 24/48 and 24/96 and have had zero issues with this

actually just resampled/dithered/tracked umphreys from friday night and ran my levels as hot as possible, and have zero issues like that with the recording

what are you using to dither/resample???? wavelab???

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2004, 12:10:22 PM »
I an using a program called goldwave, and I think the fact that I am not dithering is the problem. When I do a straight up resample with no dither going from 24--16bit (which I just tested) the wave form before and after looks jacked....need to see if godwave will dither also.
In Tyler we Trust

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2004, 12:11:24 PM »
it sounds like the resampling method in that program is jacked...do you have wavelab?

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2004, 12:18:06 PM »
No, I do not, but I can get it. I emailed the goldwave people to see if their resampling is just a flat chop, or if it actually uses a dithering method, my guess is not.
In Tyler we Trust

Offline Tim

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2004, 01:17:02 PM »
it sounds like the resampling method in that program is jacked...do you have wavelab?

what Damon said.

I was talking strictly about recording. Once you've laid it down changing from 24 down to 16 shouldn't be causing you these problems.

Sorry if I confused you!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2004, 11:18:27 AM »
Vocab time:

Resampling = changing the sample rate (96 kHz to 44.1 kHz)
Dither = changing the bit depth (24-bit to 16-bit)

I'm having a hard time following what you're using to try to accomplish whatever it is you're doing.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2004, 11:49:38 AM »
I am trying to take a 24/96 recording down to 16/44.1, and I think I found out the problem. When going from 24 to 16bit I don't think the program I am using has all that good of a dither, if any that works well.
In Tyler we Trust

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com