Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AAC burning and copying?  (Read 3490 times)

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
AAC burning and copying?
« on: September 06, 2005, 12:13:28 PM »
If I have AAC files in my itunes and I burn a copy for a friend, will there be quality loss on that second disc?
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
Re: AAC burning and copying?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 01:26:52 PM »
Well, by using AAC you've created a lossy version of what you ripped. So, I'm guessing the answer would be yes. That is if your comparing to a store bought CD or burned CDR from a lossless source. It's probably not going to be that noticeable especially if it's encoded at a bit rate and if it's a studio release probbaly not noticeable. But in short yes, there is quality loss.
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 03:10:57 PM »
Well, by using AAC you've created a lossy version of what you ripped. So, I'm guessing the answer would be yes. That is if your comparing to a store bought CD or burned CDR from a lossless source. It's probably not going to be that noticeable especially if it's encoded at a bit rate and if it's a studio release probbaly not noticeable. But in short yes, there is quality loss.

That makes sense.  My question was mainly directed toward shows.  When ever I do trades, it's better (or required) that I burn the WAV files instad of the AAC files.

Thanks for the reply.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 03:53:28 PM »

That makes sense.  My question was mainly directed toward shows.  When ever I do trades, it's better (or required) that I burn the WAV files instad of the AAC files.

Thanks for the reply.

No problem, One thing though you should not be trading files sourced from a AAC file. Your better off archiving the shows in FLAC/SHN and then burning your audios. Unless, I'm missing something here. It sounds like your sending out stuff you burned out of itunes. Which iTunes is great for listening but unless, your using Apple's Lossless codec (not AAC) your polluting the gene pool of that recording. I would get in the habit of decompressing the archived flac shows and burning straight .wav files using Nero or what not. I guess Nero will birn audios of flac files directly which will save time but I have no experience with doing that  (sorry, I'm a mac guy).

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 04:54:34 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

No problem, One thing though you should not be trading files sourced from a AAC file. Your better off archiving the shows in FLAC/SHN and then burning your audios. Unless, I'm missing something here. It sounds like your sending out stuff you burned out of itunes. Which iTunes is great for listening but unless, your using Apple's Lossless codec (not AAC) your polluting the gene pool of that recording. I would get in the habit of decompressing the archived flac shows and burning straight .wav files using Nero or what not. I guess Nero will birn audios of flac files directly which will save time but I have no experience with doing that  (sorry, I'm a mac guy).

I don't use Nero, I run OSX as well.  I haven't traded any discs burned from AAC yet, and I figured I wouldn't because this was bad practice.  I just wanted to make sure that was the case.

i really wish that OSX has Toast, or something similar, because extracting audio in itunes is such a pain, especially when you are just going to delete the files after you're done burning the discs!

Anyways, thanks for the help

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 10:14:39 PM »
Well, OSX does have Toast...it's just not free. :) You can use xACT to extract the files - drag and drop, pretty damn easy. But it sounds like you want to burn discs on the fly - that's never a good idea...
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 10:59:08 PM »
you will get a small gap with aac files in itunes too
even if you set the gap at 0, there will be one with any compressed file in itunes
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 11:51:25 PM »
even if you set the gap at 0, there will be one with any compressed file in itunes
[/quote

I've never run into that problem before.   ???

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 10:56:56 AM »
Yes, I recommend the method above. Use xACT it's your best friend on a mac. Scott Brown did make a little app. Called Flaac that would convert FLAC files to AAC. WOrked pretty good. I think he still has it up somewhere. But if your trading shows, avoid using itunes. Buy Toast and your life will be much easier. If i'm making stuff for iTunes for listening on the iPod, I'll use Flaac or just burn audios with toast and then import into iTunes. That way I can update or use the CDDB for track listings. I'm always suprised on how many shows have tracklists there. If they don't I always update so others don't have to. I'm sure others have their own methods.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 11:10:56 AM »
[/quote

I've never run into that problem before.   ???
maybe its fixed in new versions, but in older versions you got a gap (like a .05 sec), just like if you import into ipod there is a gap
its small though and unless you burn live shows you might not notice it
even then its hard to hear sometimes
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com