Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Here we go again .... bt help  (Read 2866 times)

Offline Tye

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • No news is good gnews without Gary Gnu
Here we go again .... bt help
« on: November 15, 2005, 09:50:42 PM »
Ok I have been so busy for the last 6 months I have not been able to even try to configure my pc to
use bittorent.
 I have been struggling to get this to work for what seems like forever I am at ready to pull my hair out!! >:(
Is there a kind soul out there that can walk me through setting this up and getting it running????
 I have read everything I can find and I have followed every step and I actually managed to get it downloading once but that
was it then it cut me off I know for sure I was leeching which I do not want to do.
 I just tried to d/l and this is what I got in my log
[2005-11-15 18:36:21]  -- BitTorrent started --
[2005-11-15 18:36:26] "ph1997-08-10.km140.flac16" : Problem connecting to tracker - <urlopen error (7, 'getaddrinfo failed')>
[2005-11-15 18:37:25] "ph1997-08-10.km140.flac16" : Problem connecting to tracker - <urlopen error (7, 'getaddrinfo failed')>

I was able to forward my ports and configure my firewall or at least I thought I did.
Would someone please list a step by step list for configuring your PC for XP ????
I've tried to have friends help but they all just leach and I don't feel like waiting 3 days to d/l a show.
 I have bittorrent should I just use another program to start?
Peluso cemc6/ck-21/ck-4 > Karma K10mp > Hydra's > Sound Devices MP-2> Buman T mod R4 - R9HR

Offline hzgone

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Here we go again .... bt help
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 10:33:08 AM »
Hey tye what type of router and firewall are you using.  If it's just the windows xp one i would shut it off and see if that helps you.  If not then it's probably something with the ports being forward.
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 10:58:08 AM »
yes, the first thing to do is to figure out if it is a router/firewall issue, or something else.  So turn off firewall, and either put your computer in the "DMZ" of the router, or else unnplug it and go direct to the modem.  IF BT works now, it's a firewall or router prob.  Then you can try just the firewall, or just the router and proceed to troubleshoot from there.
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 10:11:28 AM »
Thanks guys.
 Ryan I have had the windows firewall off and I am using my Norton Firewall
I've tried to find instructions on how to configure my norton firewall and have not found any.
 I am not using a router just a modem a Speedstreem 5100 Ethernet ADSL modem to be exact.
How and where do I forward my ports. I have been to portforwarding.com and followed the instructions and it just doesn't seem to work.
 I wonder if my norton firewall is the problem.
 Should I just get a router, it seems like most do have one, I got the modem for free when I got my DSL.
 Should having a router even make a diffrence? A router is mainly for networking correct?
                                         Thanks again guys for the help
Peluso cemc6/ck-21/ck-4 > Karma K10mp > Hydra's > Sound Devices MP-2> Buman T mod R4 - R9HR

Offline hzgone

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 10:44:57 AM »
I wouldn't get a router especially if this is the only machine you have connected to your dsl.  I would think that norton is your problem.  I would shut norton off and test it out.  If it works then we need to find out what is going on with norton.  If not then something else is blocking the ports.  I could really find any info on your dsl modem that could be part of the problem but i doubt it right now.  I will see what else i can find out.

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 10:47:27 PM »
Ryan
 I just gave up on bittorent and downloaded Azureus and it seems to be downloading now and my Norton firewall is still turned on .
That's weird could it of just been bittorent?
I will let you know how it turns out. How long does it normally take to d/l?

Offline hzgone

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 10:25:12 AM »
cool, glad to hear it working.  Sucks that it was just the client you were using that was giving you problems.  Speed really depends on how many seeds, and people you are connected to.  Also doesn't hurt to have a fast connection.

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 03:30:16 PM »
cool, glad to hear it working.  Sucks that it was just the client you were using that was giving you problems.  Speed really depends on how many seeds, and people you are connected to.  Also doesn't hurt to have a fast connection.
So am I right to say that I don't need to forward my ports if I am not using a router, or am I totally wrong?
I am on phish 8-10-1997 right now and I am stuck @ 53% but there is only 1 seed right now.
 I just want to make sure I have it set right first because I don't want to screw other people and leach and second because like I said before I don't want to wait 3 days to download 2-3 hours of music.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 03:39:50 PM by Tye »

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 03:58:59 PM »
tye -- you're PROBABLY right (as long as your modem doesn't also act as a router).  The key to seeing if you're properly configured on a bittorrent is seeing if your status indicator turns green when on a busy torrent.  if it constantly remains yellow, you're being told that your outgoing ports are blocked.

So, hop on a torrent with dozens of seeders and dozens of leechers and see how things perform.  Remeber also that your download speed depends on how much upstream bandwidth is available. 

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 08:32:20 PM »
tye -- you're PROBABLY right (as long as your modem doesn't also act as a router).  The key to seeing if you're properly configured on a bittorrent is seeing if your status indicator turns green when on a busy torrent.  if it constantly remains yellow, you're being told that your outgoing ports are blocked.

So, hop on a torrent with dozens of seeders and dozens of leechers and see how things perform.  Remeber also that your download speed depends on how much upstream bandwidth is available. 
Thanks this is making allot more sense now. Wow the bittorent client really sucks in comparison to Azureus!
Here is another question and I'm sorry if it is already in FAQ's.
How many torrents can you have going at one time?
 Now that I have figured this out it's on to figuring out how to host torrents.
 Thanks again guys it never fails to amaze me how this community helps each other! +T

Offline hzgone

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2005, 09:39:08 PM »
good to hear everything is working ok.  Hosting torrents is easy just like downloading pretty much except you start the torrent.   Let us know when your ready.  +T backatcha

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2005, 01:06:02 AM »
Ok  in the Peer drop down list in the torrent I should be highlighted in red right?
If so than I am being listed as a leecher
What do I need to do to make sure I can seed as well?
 It appears that I am sending files???
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 01:09:02 AM by Tye »

Offline hzgone

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2005, 12:33:05 PM »
red usually means no one is connected.  It  should change but if you are sending data and no one is complaining then i wouldn't worry about it.  I have never been firewalled and those stupid lights only seem to work here and there.  That is just me, and probably has something to do with my machine never being cleaned up in the last 5 years or so.

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2005, 12:41:46 PM »
That makes sense. I am currently seeding 2 out of the 3 shows I just d/l'd
It just appears nobody is downloading one of my seeds
 I have plenty of space so I will just keep the shows I d/l up and seed until there is no intrest.
 I will defenitly be hosting a torrent here soon. I just had Chris mod my UA5 (damn it sounds so crisp and clean!) and I will be hitting Ratdog 12/14 so If I have any problems getting it started I will pm you.
      Thanks for the help.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.271 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com