Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Upgrading memory...  (Read 1453 times)

Offline bassmaniu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Me no are no nice guy...
Upgrading memory...
« on: February 09, 2006, 01:02:01 PM »
Not a recording question persay but ...

I need to upgrade my girlfriends computer.  She only has 2GB hard drive and very little internal memory.  My question is, what should I replace first?  If I install a new hard drive, will installed applications automatically transfer to the second drive or do I need to replace the internal memory for that?  The problem is, everytime she wants to download something (install a program...ie party poker) the system won't let her because of lack of memory.  Any thoughts are helpful!
6 Gallong Brewpot > Primary Fermenter > Glass Carboy > Bottles

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Upgrading memory...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 01:12:47 PM »
what operating system is she running, what processer does her computer use and how much ram (memory) does she currently have?

Could well be that you'd be better off replacing a computer that shipped with only a 2gb hard drive with an entirely new setup (cheap pcs can be had for well under $300 if you keep an eye out) rather than buying and installing a new hard drive, reinstalling the operating system and programs onto the new hard drive, and finding/installing whatever type of memory this older computer uses.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 01:21:37 PM »
There is an article in a recent Maximum PC magazine (I think the Feb. 2006 issue which still may be on the newsstand). It's about building the $300 PC. The only downside I saw was that it used Linux (which I don't consider a downside, but if your GF could live with a 2GB HD it might be a bit scary for her). Add another $80-100 and you could get her XP Home.

I can't possibly understand how someone could live with a computer with only 2GB! I think I'm in the slightly over 1TB neighborhood now...and I need a new HD because I'm running out of space!

Even if you just buy her the cheapest pre-built computer, it will be a huge upgrade. I wouldn't bother upgrading a computer that came with a 2GB HD, it's a waste of money.

MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline bassmaniu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Me no are no nice guy...
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 01:29:15 PM »
Thanks fellas...

I just checked out ebay and there are MANY desktops w/o monitors that are 1GHz and 20GB for $100 or less!  I'll just download her monitor and printer drivers from my computer and buy her a new desktop..
6 Gallong Brewpot > Primary Fermenter > Glass Carboy > Bottles

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 01:57:09 PM »
that'd work.  Only issue you may run into is that many older printers aren't windoze xp compatible, you may need to get a new printer too . . . google should easily let you know if that's the case.  You'll want to run at least 512mb of ram with xp.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com