Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MP3 Sourced show question, need advice.  (Read 2616 times)

Offline bconnolly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
MP3 Sourced show question, need advice.
« on: February 20, 2006, 12:56:54 AM »
This show is from a television broadcast recorded from a VCR in 2001.  Since it's from TV, isn't it normal to have a spike like that around 15 or 16kHz?  I know that most FM broadcasts have a spike around 19kHz because of the way radio is broadcast but I'm not sure about television.

Here is a zoomed-in spectral analysis of the same file from inside Audacity:

Here is a frequency analysis from AnalFreq:

Any thoughts or insights are appreciated.

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • Needs to get out more...
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
Re: MP3 Sourced show question, need advice.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 03:18:37 PM »
I assume you're just trying to eliminate noise?
Socks are overrated.

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 05:00:19 PM »

Actually I'm going through all of my live shows and running frequency analyses on a track from each of them.  I'm trying to weed out the MP3 crap that Dime and other places let slide.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 01:28:16 AM »
I wouldn't put all your faith in analfreq, i've seen many a show that looks like it was mp3 sourced, but no for a fact they weren't.

sometimes md recordings, or even other recordings that were messed with in post, can look like an mp3 source in analfreq.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 01:40:49 AM »
I just like pronouncing "analfreq"...
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 01:53:26 AM »

Actually I'm going through all of my live shows and running frequency analyses on a track from each of them.  I'm trying to weed out the MP3 crap that Dime and other places let slide.

Umm, I'll probably lose a few T's for this, but WHY?  I can see refraining from seeding a show that might be MP3-sourced, or not circulating it, but are you seriously suggesting that you are going to dump perfectly enjoyable shows from your personal collection, shows that you don't HEAR any problems with, just because some spectrogram makes you think it had an *evil* MP3 conversion somewhere in its past?  I guess it's your choice but if it SOUNDS ok, why not listen to it?

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 02:22:08 AM »

Umm, I'll probably lose a few T's for this, but WHY?  I can see refraining from seeding a show that might be MP3-sourced, or not circulating it, but are you seriously suggesting that you are going to dump perfectly enjoyable shows from your personal collection, shows that you don't HEAR any problems with, just because some spectrogram makes you think it had an *evil* MP3 conversion somewhere in its past?  I guess it's your choice but if it SOUNDS ok, why not listen to it?

I won't -T you for an honest question.  I do it because I trade frequently and I don't want to trade MP3 sourced shows with other people on accident.  I'm not necessarily going to delete the show but I like to know if I should look for an upgrade or not.

Offline redbook

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 07:10:13 AM »
there is no reason in keeping MP3 sourced recordings when you probably can get the lossless version anywhere

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 10:38:18 AM »
OK, it definitely makes sense to me why you wouldn't TRADE a show that might be MP3 sourced, and I suppose I can see why acquiring a known non-MP3-souced version of the same show would simplify things in terms of not needing to separately track your tradeable and non-tradable collection.

I suppoose I just think people rely a little too much on spectral analyses and lose track of the forest for the trees some times.  On DIME, I see shows posted with spectral analyses (to prove losslessness) far more often than I see shows with MP3 samples (which actually give a pretty good sense of whether the recording itself sounds any good).  So many times I've wasted hours and gigabytes on certifiably lossless but lousy recordings.

"there is no reason in keeping MP3 sourced recordings when you probably can get the lossless version anywhere"

I wonder how true this really is for a lot of recordings.  For example, as far as I know I was the only person to tape Bruce Hornsby 7/16/05 Reno, NV and Mark Knopfler 7/23/05 Saratoga, CA.  Both recordings were made using AT853 > my Archos Jukebox recorder, which only records to MP3.  The 7/16/05 venue was a little boomy but it was still a great show, and the Knopfler recording IMO sounds at least as good, if not better, than anything else circulating from the Summer 2005 tour (including the B&K 4011 Oregon show and the Schoeps Colorado show), but I've had to be very limited in circulating both, with lots of caveats attached.  Still I'm sure both shows are now out there in many collections, not labeled as lossy, but if someone tosses out their copy after viewing its spectrogram thinking something better is out there, they are going to be disappointed.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 10:42:02 AM by satterwill »

Offline redbook

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 10:51:59 AM »
I said "probably" because most of the times, a lossy recording comes from a lossless source (unless you taped it in MP3!).
If you are really interested in the recording you should be able to track it and find the original taper. It takes time and sometimes can be difficult, an as you said now people is more worried about the "loss" feature more than about the quality. I guess people tend to be a completist as it's nearly impossible to hear and enjoy everything you download

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com