Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: best DVD-audio software?  (Read 18034 times)

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
best DVD-audio software?
« on: March 20, 2006, 11:42:52 AM »
IMO, this one is the best i have used. obviously many other people have used other software without a problem.  In wavelab, i never could get the damn thing to write DVDs gapless - this program is pretty easy to do so... so i like it.

http://www.cirlinca.com/welcome.htm

i'm curious what other people like and why they like it.

“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: best DVD-audio software?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 11:55:02 AM »
are you sure that your playback unit isn't causing gaps?  My Tosh4960 does.

These directions tell how to burn them gapless.... sorry if you already tried them and it didn't work.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 11:58:27 AM »
this page sums up all the options that I am aware of:

http://24bit.turtleside.com/

I used to use discwelder, with great results - very easy to use.
now I use DVD-Audiofile.  also very easy to use.  allows you to create multiple groups (which you cannot do on discwelder bronze).  and this one is freeware :)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 12:00:31 PM »
Andrew, you might want to look at that audio cd creator too... that will make DVD-V discs that will play in almost any dvd player.   I like DVD-As, but it sucks when you are so limited with players that you can purchase to play the discs.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 12:55:29 PM »
dvd-audiofile - it's free :)

Offline keepongoin

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 02:25:58 PM »
thanks for the recommendations.

+Ts all around.  going to demo some of those and see what i like.

thanks.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline jimmyrow

• Uploader Slowpokerus
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 190 Years of Athletic Mediocrity
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 05:52:57 PM »

word.......I've been using this and it works flawlessly!
I just can't find the time to write my mind the way I want it to read.

Offline dueling

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • TeamFocker
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 07:58:42 PM »
I also own the Toshiba SD-4960 and have been using Audio DVD Creator so that I can play back seamless tracks.  My player still plays the gap between tracks when I author with other programs (ex. Wavelab).  After reading this thread I gave the trial version of DVD-Audio Solo a try and was able to burn a DVD-A that does not have gaps during playback, even in my Tosh4960.  Thanks for the heads up on this progam.
Schoeps MK4v's, MK41v's, MK22's, MK8 (1), MK21 (1)
DPA 4015's, 4022's

Portico 5012

Sound Devices MixPre 10 II

Nbob Actives > Naiant PFAs
MMP-ER Modular Active Rear Cable

RebelRebel

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 08:03:31 PM »
and it dont get better than free. Anyones budget. Andrew, you tried the dvd-audiofile?

word.......I've been using this and it works flawlessly!

Offline dueling

• Taperssection Member
  • TeamFocker
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 02:11:14 PM »
I just gave DVD-Audiophile a try, and love the ease of use and ability to burn directly from flac (+T Scott) ... however, I still have gaps between my tracks during playback in my Toshiba SD4960.  So it looks like the only program that will play in the Tosh4960 without gaps between tracks is DVD-Audio Solo, or at least that's the only one I have found so far.
DPA 4015's, 4022's

Portico 5012

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 02:30:35 PM »
I think there's reason to believe that the gap errors for 4960 vary between units.  I actually get gaps from regular redbook cds too, burned DAO.   I'm glad to hear that you've got them burning gapless somehow though.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 03:48:44 PM »
I'm still not convinced that it's the fault of the player that there are gaps.  I have not yet burned a gapless DVD-A with DVD-Audiofile, at least not when played back on a Samsung HD-841, which I'm told is the same thing (electrically) as a Toshiba 4960.  In the post above, dueling is saying that he's burned gapless with DVD-Audio Solo, but he can't do the same with DVD-Audiofile.

Would anyone be willing to B&P a DVD-A, created with DVD-Audiofile that they claim is gapless so that I can test it on my Samsung HD-841?  I want to believe that it's possible to burn gapless with DVD-Audiofile, but so far I have been unsuccessful in doing so.  There's got to be a reason that so many people are having problems with getting gapless playback with DVD-A's that were created with DVD-Audiofile.

By the way DVD-Audio Solo is available here:

http://www.cirlinca.com/
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 05:32:12 PM by SparkE! »
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 04:02:46 PM »
There's got to be a reason that so many people are having problems with getting gapless playback with DVD-A's that were created with DVD-Audiophile.

i was under the impression that it wasn't "so many people" but a small amount.  and don't they also have the same problem with DVD-As made with wavelab and discwelder?  and the same discs that have gaps on their players don't have gaps on other players

it could be that some players look for a specific flag somewhere in the spec for gaps (and this flag isn't well documented or goes against spec). i don't know...

i just know i get no gaps with discs made with wavelab, discwelder or dvd-audiofile

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 04:13:55 PM »
i just know i get no gaps with discs made with wavelab, discwelder or dvd-audiofile

Then how about you make me a believer and do a B&P for something that you've created with DVD-Audiofile that you claim is gapless?  And I'd be happy to send you a DVD-A that was created with DVD-Audiofile that I claim has gaps.

There's got to be an answer to this.  I keep trying to get people to help troubleshoot this issue and so far no one whose system is working seems to be interested in finding out what the issue really is.  As the author of DVD-Audiofile, it seems that you'd have a high degree of interest in any bugs that people report, no matter how small a number of people that is.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 05:33:39 PM by SparkE! »
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

RebelRebel

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 04:15:49 PM »
Spark, I could send you my Player maybe...gotta ask.

Teddy

Then how about you make me a believer and do a B&P for something that you've created with DVD-Audiophile that you claim is gapless?  And I'd be happy to send you a DVD-A that was created with DVD-Audiophile that I claim has gaps.

There's got to be an answer to this.  I keep trying to get people to help troubleshoot this issue and so far no one whose system is working seems to be interested in finding out what the issue really is.  As the author of DVD-Audiophile, it seems that you'd have a high degree of interest in any bugs that people report, no matter how small a number of people that is.

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 04:18:51 PM »

Teddy

How about we just start with a known gapless DVD-A.  That's got to be less expensive to ship than your player.  Besides, if you send your player, then I'll start thinking about doing mods to it, then I'll take too long and next thing you know, we've got a leegeddy situation. ;)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2006, 04:20:39 PM »
I'm still not convinced that it's the fault of the player that there are gaps.  I have not yet burned a gapless DVD-A with DVD-Audiophile, at least not when played back on a Samsung HD-841, which I'm told is the same thing (electrically) as a Toshiba 4960.  In the post above, dueling is saying that he's burned gapless with DVD-Audio Solo, but he can't do the same with DVD-Audiophile.

Would anyone be willing to B&P a DVD-A, created with DVD-Audiophile that they claim is gapless so that I can test it on my Samsung HD-841?  I want to believe that it's possible to burn gapless with DVD-Audiophile, but so far I have been unsuccessful in doing so.  There's got to be a reason that so many people are having problems with getting gapless playback with DVD-A's that were created with DVD-Audiophile.

I can guarantee you it is the player.  I used a HD841 and pretty much everything not authored with Audio DVD creator had gaps.  Those same discs when played back on the pioneer elite dv-45a which I subsequently bought have no gaps....the player has a buffer issue and has been relegated to becoming a dvd player in my bedroom because it does not work correctly for audio

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2006, 04:22:51 PM »
I'm still not convinced that it's the fault of the player that there are gaps.  I have not yet burned a gapless DVD-A with DVD-Audiophile, at least not when played back on a Samsung HD-841, which I'm told is the same thing (electrically) as a Toshiba 4960.  In the post above, dueling is saying that he's burned gapless with DVD-Audio Solo, but he can't do the same with DVD-Audiophile.

Would anyone be willing to B&P a DVD-A, created with DVD-Audiophile that they claim is gapless so that I can test it on my Samsung HD-841?  I want to believe that it's possible to burn gapless with DVD-Audiophile, but so far I have been unsuccessful in doing so.  There's got to be a reason that so many people are having problems with getting gapless playback with DVD-A's that were created with DVD-Audiophile.

I can guarantee you it is the player.  I used a HD841 and pretty much everything not authored with Audio DVD creator had gaps.  Those same discs when played back on the pioneer elite dv-45a which I subsequently bought have no gaps....the player has a buffer issue and has been relegated to becoming a dvd player in my bedroom because it does not work correctly for audio

I think mine has the same issue as Nick's.  Its not only in the music, but also in the display.  It will go to the next track and sit a 00:00 for a couple seconds, and then start.   Like I said, I get gaps on redbooks as well.  I originally thought it was SBEs, but I don't get them on any other player.

I wish I had another player to try them on.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2006, 04:26:10 PM »
what is descrbed above happened on my unit as well..sometimes the display would actually go negative 2 seconds, count down then start the next track. 

Offline scb

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2006, 04:26:21 PM »

Then how about you make me a believer and do a B&P for something that you've created with DVD-Audiophile that you claim is gapless?  And I'd be happy to send you a DVD-A that was created with DVD-Audiophile that I claim has gaps.

There's got to be an answer to this.  I keep trying to get people to help troubleshoot this issue and so far no one whose system is working seems to be interested in finding out what the issue really is.  As the author of DVD-Audiophile, it seems that you'd have a high degree of interest in any bugs that people report, no matter how small a number of people that is.

DVD-Audiofile calls a command line program called dvda-author (http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/).  It was written by David Chapman, not by me.  My app does a bunch of things, most notably calling his application and creating an iso from the results (using the standard mkisofs).  If there's an issue in his program, then yes that means mine has issues too.  I'd like to get them fixed.  But I won't even pretend to say I'm an expert on the inner workings of his code.  I just know that I have no gaps with files authored with his tool.

If you want, I can put up an iso (made by dvd-audiofile) for you to download that has no gaps on my player.  i'll make it 2 tracks so it's small. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 04:31:12 PM by scott brown »

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2006, 04:29:35 PM »
hells yeah scott - that would be awesome.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline scb

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2006, 04:30:58 PM »

Teddy

How about we just start with a known gapless DVD-A. 

1. Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots is a commercial disc and is gapless

2. all of us with players that have no issues will tell you that anything made with wavelab or dvd-audiofile or discwelder is a "known gapless DVD-A"

i'll put up a disc after work that has no gaps on my player.  i'll try to keep it pretty small.  maybe i'll just cut up a track into 30 seconds spots and do it that way

RebelRebel

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2006, 04:37:33 PM »
leegeddy situation. ;)

somehow I dont think itd end up like Leegeddys situation.

Just a hunch.  ;)

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2006, 04:45:32 PM »
If you want, I can put up an iso (made by dvd-audiofile) for you to download that has no gaps on my player.  i'll make it 2 tracks so it's small. 

Great!  That works for me.  And I'd be happy to do the same for an ISO, made from 2 tracks with DVD-Audiofile and which has gaps on my player and we can see if it has gaps on yours.

And yes, I realize that the underlying program is dvd-author by David Chapman.

My hope is that we can definitively identify what the problem is.  Just because a gappy disk will play correctly on a Pioneer deck does not mean that the Samsung HD841 or Toshiba 4960 did anything wrong.  Maybe it's the Pioneer deck that incorrectly ignores a gap that should be inserted.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 05:35:02 PM by SparkE! »

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2006, 05:24:58 PM »
just to add to this thread, I've made many, many discs with discwelder and DVD-Audiofile, and everything plays gapless on my Denon 2200.  I don't think anything is wrong with the underlying code.  just not a consistent implementation of DVD-Audio playback between manufacturers...

if you'd like me to send a gapless DVD-Audio disc your way, I'd be happy to, just send me a PM.  but it looks like Scott's already got you covered anyway.  just thought I'd offer :)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2006, 05:30:24 PM »
My hope is that we can definitively identify what the problem is.  Just because a gappy disk will play correctly on a Pioneer deck does not mean that the Samsung HD841 or Toshiba 4096 did anything wrong.  Maybe it's the Pioneer deck that incorrectly ignores a gap that should be inserted.

OK I will be clearer...every other brand that I and others that I know have tried have no issues...the toshiba 4960 and samsung hd841 do.

good luck.

Offline scb

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2006, 06:22:17 PM »
if you want the disc, PM me.  i've already sent pfife and sparke the link

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2006, 06:25:52 PM »
Thanks, Scott!  I'm just leaving work, so it will take some time to get home, knock out the honey-do list, potty the dogs and get on the computer, but I'll try to report back this evening.

Offline the yokel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2006, 06:51:20 PM »
Thread hijack:

As another Samsung 841 owner i've experienced the gap between tracks as well.   I rember reading a thread not to long ago stating that adding a picture track will fix this problem.  So i made a test disc in wavelab, 1 set with a picture track & one without.  The set with the picture track did play back seamlessly.  The set without a p-track still had a 1-2 sec gap.  So if you own a Samsung HD-841/Toshiba 4096 try adding a picture track & see if it doesn't fix the problem.  Note DVD-Audiophile doesn't support picture tracks, use Wavelab, discwelder,etc...

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2006, 08:44:54 PM »
As another Samsung 841 owner i've experienced the gap between tracks as well.   I rember reading a thread not to long ago stating that adding a picture track will fix this problem.  So i made a test disc in wavelab, 1 set with a picture track & one without.  The set with the picture track did play back seamlessly.  The set without a p-track still had a 1-2 sec gap.  So if you own a Samsung HD-841/Toshiba 4096 try adding a picture track & see if it doesn't fix the problem.  Note DVD-Audiophile doesn't support picture tracks, use Wavelab, discwelder,etc...

hey, by "adding a picture track" do you mean adding a picture by following these directions for adding a picture?

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2006, 08:46:20 PM »
if you want the disc, PM me.  i've already sent pfife and sparke the link

thanks scott.  I don't think I'll get a chance to try it until tomorrow afternoon though.
 :)

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline the yokel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2006, 11:26:38 PM »
hey, by "adding a picture track" do you mean adding a picture by following these directions for adding a picture?

Yes. 

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2006, 12:01:17 AM »
I tried Scott's ISO image and I still get 1/4 second gaps between tracks.

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2006, 12:27:54 AM »

its your player.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline shruggy1987

• Taperssection Member
  • Team Ithaca
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2006, 09:15:48 AM »
what is the DL site for dvd-audiofile that you guys are talking about?

i use nero and it works very well.
SP LSD2 > bm2 UA-5 (coax out) > M-Audio Microtrack
SP LSD2 > bm2 UA-5 > MacBook Pro

RebelRebel

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2006, 09:21:29 AM »
what is the DL site for dvd-audiofile that you guys are talking about?

i use nero and it works very well.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=52892.0

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2006, 04:22:41 PM »

its your player.

I burned it using nero 6 at 2x, verified successfully.  Toshiba 4960 can't read it.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline scb

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2006, 04:38:53 PM »
you made sure nero knew it was an image, and didn't just burn the iso as a file on the disc?

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2006, 04:51:05 PM »

Yes. 

by golly, this works... its gapless on my 4960.  That means +Ts around.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline scb

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2006, 06:36:14 PM »
i'm guessing that the toshiba player does somethign different with its buffers when there is a picture track.  but i doubt they'll admit the bug

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2006, 06:39:48 PM »
i'm guessing that the toshiba player does somethign different with its buffers when there is a picture track.  but i doubt they'll admit the bug

my review of this thing: its a total pos... but it does sound good when it plays. It sounds way better than my laptop -> Maudio Transit does.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RebelRebel

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2006, 06:53:51 PM »

my review of this thing: its a total pos... but it does sound good when it plays. It sounds way better than my laptop -> Maudio Transit does.

I wonder if there is any difference at all between the samsung hd841 and toshiba?? This thing(samsung) plays like a dream, gapless, sound quality is decent...no issues at all>... ??? i bought it for my wife to use in her listening room(i have the denon 2900) and it has been great.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2006, 07:47:22 PM »

I wonder if there is any difference at all between the samsung hd841 and toshiba?? This thing(samsung) plays like a dream, gapless, sound quality is decent...no issues at all>... ??? i bought it for my wife to use in her listening room(i have the denon 2900) and it has been great.

my wildly uneducated, speculative guess: same thing w/ bad QC.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2006, 07:52:39 PM »
I had the samsung HD841 and after seeing websites dedicated to the mods, the only difference is the shell, same circuit board and layout insdie.  I had nothing but gap problems with mine.  Great DVD player and works well in the bedroom now...glad I upgraded as well, because for the SACDs and DVD-As, I do think the DACs in the pioneer sound better (they should, better quality) than the DACs in the samsung

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2006, 09:00:13 PM »
Why do you guys keep suspecting the buffering on the Samsung and Toshiba players?  I agree that buffer handling is a possible culprit, but what facts make you suspect buffering in the HD841 or 4960?

Here's the facts as I understand them:

1) ISO images prepared with DVD-Audiofile do not play on a Samsung HD841 or a Toshiba 4960 without gaps.
2) ISO images prepared with Wavelab 5.0a play properly on a Samsung HD841 or Toshiba 4960 if you add pictures.
3) ISO images prepared with DVD-Audio Solo 1.1 play properly on a Samsung HD841 or Toshiba 4960, without gaps.
4) No one on recent threads has said whether ISO images prepared with discWelder play properly on a Samsung HD841 or Toshiba 4960, without gaps.
5) Other players such as the Denon 220 and Pioneer Elite DV-45a play DVD-Audio discs, regardless of which of the above programs were used

These facts could imply that there's something wrong with the Samsung HD841 and Toshiba 4690 players.  They could also imply that there's something wrong with DVD-Audiofile (or its underlying program, DVD-Audio Tools), but that most players are tolerant of the error.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 05:36:22 PM by SparkE! »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2006, 09:31:18 PM »
the problem is how the unit handles the format and the fact that while DVD-A is a standard, that not every authoring program handles it the same.

And lets add another layer to this...the players that do not exhibit this issue, regardless of the authoring program are higher end....so I do believe components, firmware and qualty all impact the samsung and toshiba units...

Offline scb

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2006, 09:45:25 PM »
Why do you guys keep suspecting the buffering on the Samsung and Toshiba players?  I agree that buffer handling is a possible culprit, but what facts make you suspect buffering in the HD841 or 4960?

Here's the facts as I understand them:

1) ISO images prepared with DVD-Audiophile do not play on a Samsung HD841 or a Toshiba 4960 without gaps.
2) ISO images prepared with Wavelab 5.0a play properly on a Samsung HD841 or Toshiba 4960 if you add pictures.
3) ISO images prepared with DVD-Audio Solo 1.1 play properly on a Samsung HD841 or Toshiba 4960, without gaps.
4) No one on recent threads has said whether ISO images prepared with discWelder play properly on a Samsung HD841 or Toshiba 4960, without gaps.
5) Other players such as the Denon 220 and Pioneer Elite DV-45a play DVD-Audio discs, regardless of which of the above programs were used

These facts could imply that there's something wrong with the Samsung HD841 and Toshiba 4690 players.  They could also imply that there's something wrong with DVD-Audiophile (or its underlying program, DVD-Audio Tools), but that most players are tolerant of the error.

wavelab and discwelder have gaps on those players.  it's not just dvda-author

yet all 3 are fine on other players

maybe your DVD-Audo Solo puts a blank picture track and that's why your player is ok with that, becuase a picture track is handled differently

could it be that dvda-author is broken?  maybe, though he's written code according to specs without gaps.  but if it's broken, so is wavelab and discwelder

that's why i'm inclined to believe it's something specific to your player.  i find it much easier to believe that a few players are broken than only a few are correct and every other one is broken.  but again, i don't know
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 09:47:19 PM by scott brown »

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2006, 11:05:56 PM »
wavelab and discwelder have gaps on those players.  it's not just dvda-author

yet all 3 are fine on other players

Or maybe those other players are tolerant of files that are not strictly compliant to the DVD-A spec?

maybe your DVD-Audo Solo puts a blank picture track and that's why your player is ok with that, becuase a picture track is handled differently

Can anyone confirm whether or not there are files on a DVD-Audio Solo disk other than these:

AUDIO_PP.IFO
AUDIO_TS.IFO
AUDIO_TS.BUP
ATS_01_0.IFO
ATS_01_1.AOB
ATS_01_0.BUP

(Paging dueling...)
I plan to try DVD-Audio Solo, but have not done so yet.  Hopefully someone else can confirm if there are files other than these on their DVD-A discs that are authored with DVD-Audio Solo.

could it be that dvda-author is broken?  maybe, though he's written code according to specs without gaps.  but if it's broken, so is wavelab and discwelder

that's why i'm inclined to believe it's something specific to your player.  i find it much easier to believe that a few players are broken than only a few are correct and every other one is broken.  but again, i don't know
I find it quite easy to believe that most players are tolerant of errors.  For instance, the DVD-Audio Tools web site has this to say:

Experiments have shown that a "smart" DVD-Audio player (i.e. a combined Audio/Video player) does not appear to use the AUDIO_PP.IFO file for playback. i.e. an AUDIO_TS directory can be relocated (without modification) to any part of the disk and still be playable in a hardware player - as long as the files are written contiguously and in the correct order.

This implies that you could omit the AUDIO_PP.IFO or get its format completely wrong and the disc would still work in most DVD players that are specified to play DVD-A discs.

And you're right. It could be that the fault lies with these particular models of players.  However, until we know what's on the DVD-A's that work in either a Samsung HD841 or a Toshiba 4960 and what's different about the DVD-A's that don't work, we shouldn't pin the blame on the players.

For what it's worth, I'm finding it easier and easier to believe that the difference is picture files or their absence.  That aspect of this discussion seems to have little ambiguity.  Also note that DVD-Audio Solo features the capability to add pictures (which may explain why it works).  If that's all it takes, I'll spend my time trying to figure out how to add picture files to a DVD-Audiofile disc.  Then nickgregory can impress his woman with gapless DVD-A playback in the bedroom where he now keeps his HD841 paperweight. ;)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 05:38:18 PM by SparkE! »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2006, 07:52:26 AM »
I will give you this you have persistence.  I was (and still am) willing to write the HD841 up to being a consumer good, you "get what you pay for" scenario.  Regardless, good luck, hope you figure it out.

Offline scb

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2006, 08:07:20 AM »

Experiments have shown that a "smart" DVD-Audio player (i.e. a combined Audio/Video player) does not appear to use the AUDIO_PP.IFO file for playback. i.e. an AUDIO_TS directory can be relocated (without modification) to any part of the disk and still be playable in a hardware player - as long as the files are written contiguously and in the correct order.

This implies that you could omit the AUDIO_PP.IFO or get its format completely wrong and the disc would still work in most DVD players that are specified to play DVD-A discs.

The key words there are as long as the files are written contiguously and in the correct order..  The files need to be sorted correctly and written in that order on the disc.  If they aren't, they won't play. 

But again, i really don't know what's causing your issue.  It might simply be that everyone implements the spec differently in their players, because the actual "final" spec is relatively new (but companies were implementing their own versions of it before it was finalized)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 08:42:42 AM by scott brown »

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2006, 08:29:20 AM »
i've been using dvd-audiofile for a while now, and its gapless on my deck.  100% perfect in fact.

Offline dueling

• Taperssection Member
  • TeamFocker
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2006, 09:51:33 AM »
Can anyone confirm whether or not there are files on a DVD-Audio Solo disk other than these:

AUDIO_PP.IFO
AUDIO_TS.IFO
AUDIO_TS.BUP
ATS_01_0.IFO
ATS_01_1.AOB
ATS_01_0.BUP

(Paging dueling...)
I plan to try DVD-Audio Solo, but have not done so yet.  Hopefully someone else can confirm if there are files other than these on their DVD-A discs that are authored with DVD-Audio Solo.

I'll take a look at the DVD-Audio Solo discs and get back to you guys on this later today.
DPA 4015's, 4022's

Portico 5012

Offline dueling

• Taperssection Member
  • TeamFocker
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2006, 11:26:08 AM »

AUDIO_PP.IFO
AUDIO_TS.IFO
AUDIO_TS.BUP
ATS_01_0.IFO
ATS_01_1.AOB
ATS_01_0.BUP

(Paging dueling...)

I'll take a look at the DVD-Audio Solo discs and get back to you guys on this later today.

I just created a new .iso file with DVD-Audio Solo, then used Magic ISO Maker to verify what is in the .iso file...

Audio_TS folder:
ATS_01_0.BUP
ATS_01_0.IFO
ATS_01_1.AOB
ATS_01_2.AOB
ATS_01_3.AOB
AUDIO_PP.IFO
AUDIO_SV.BUP
AUDIO_SV.IFO
AUDIO_SV.VOB
AUDIO_TS.BUP
AUDIO_TS.BUP

VIDEO_TS folder:
(empty)

There is also a DATA folder that contains a text file named "ALBUMDES.TXT", which looks to be a log file.  When I view that log file it shows this:

--- Group 1 ---
TRACK 1 : tlg2006-01-12s1t01.wav   D:\shn downloads\shn\tlg2006-01-12.flac24\tlg2006-01-12s1t01.wav
   48Khz/24bits, 2 channels, 467 sec
TRACK 2 : tlg2006-01-12s1t02.wav   D:\shn downloads\shn\tlg2006-01-12.flac24\tlg2006-01-12s1t02.wav
   48Khz/24bits, 2 channels, 368 sec
TRACK 3 : tlg2006-01-12s1t03.wav   D:\shn downloads\shn\tlg2006-01-12.flac24\tlg2006-01-12s1t03.wav
   48Khz/24bits, 2 channels, 250 sec
TRACK 4 : tlg2006-01-12s1t04.wav   D:\shn downloads\shn\tlg2006-01-12.flac24\tlg2006-01-12s1t04.wav
   48Khz/24bits, 2 channels, 263 sec
TRACK 5 : tlg2006-01-12s1t05.wav   D:\shn downloads\shn\tlg2006-01-12.flac24\tlg2006-01-12s1t05.wav
   48Khz/24bits, 2 channels, 345 sec
TRACK 6 : tlg2006-01-12s1t06.wav   D:\shn downloads\shn\tlg2006-01-12.flac24\tlg2006-01-12s1t06.wav
   48Khz/24bits, 2 channels, 434 sec
TRACK 7 : tlg2006-01-12s1t07.wav   D:\shn downloads\shn\tlg2006-01-12.flac24\tlg2006-01-12s1t07.wav
   48Khz/24bits, 2 channels, 270 sec
TRACK 8 : tlg2006-01-12s1t08.wav   D:\shn downloads\shn\tlg2006-01-12.flac24\tlg2006-01-12s1t08.wav
   48Khz/24bits, 2 channels, 272 sec
TRACK 9 : tlg2006-01-12s1t09.wav   D:\shn downloads\shn\tlg2006-01-12.flac24\tlg2006-01-12s1t09.wav
   48Khz/24bits, 2 channels, 208 sec
TRACK 10 : tlg2006-01-12s1t10.wav   D:\shn downloads\shn\tlg2006-01-12.flac24\tlg2006-01-12s1t10.wav
   48Khz/24bits, 2 channels, 507 sec
TRACK 11 : tlg2006-01-12s1t11.wav   D:\shn downloads\shn\tlg2006-01-12.flac24\tlg2006-01-12s1t11.wav
   48Khz/24bits, 2 channels, 37 sec
TRACK 12 : tlg2006-01-12s1t12.wav   D:\shn downloads\shn\tlg2006-01-12.flac24\tlg2006-01-12s1t12.wav
   48Khz/24bits, 2 channels, 574 sec
TRACK 13 : tlg2006-01-12s2t01.wav   D:\shn downloads\shn\tlg2006-01-12.flac24\tlg2006-01-12s2t01.wav
   48Khz/24bits, 2 channels, 384 sec
TRACK 14 : tlg2006-01-12s2t02.wav   D:\shn downloads\shn\tlg2006-01-12.flac24\tlg2006-01-12s2t02.wav
   48Khz/24bits, 2 channels, 399 sec
TRACK 15 : tlg2006-01-12s2t03.wav   D:\shn downloads\shn\tlg2006-01-12.flac24\tlg2006-01-12s2t03.wav
   48Khz/24bits, 2 channels, 257 sec
TRACK 16 : tlg2006-01-12s2t04.wav   D:\shn downloads\shn\tlg2006-01-12.flac24\tlg2006-01-12s2t04.wav
   48Khz/24bits, 2 channels, 574 sec
TRACK 17 : tlg2006-01-12s2t05.wav   D:\shn downloads\shn\tlg2006-01-12.flac24\tlg2006-01-12s2t05.wav
   48Khz/24bits, 2 channels, 422 sec
TRACK 18 : tlg2006-01-12s2t06.wav   D:\shn downloads\shn\tlg2006-01-12.flac24\tlg2006-01-12s2t06.wav
   48Khz/24bits, 2 channels, 268 sec
TRACK 19 : tlg2006-01-12s2t07.wav   D:\shn downloads\shn\tlg2006-01-12.flac24\tlg2006-01-12s2t07.wav
   48Khz/24bits, 2 channels, 580 sec
TRACK 20 : tlg2006-01-12s2t08.wav   D:\shn downloads\shn\tlg2006-01-12.flac24\tlg2006-01-12s2t08.wav
   48Khz/24bits, 2 channels, 455 sec
TRACK 21 : tlg2006-01-12s2t09.wav   D:\shn downloads\shn\tlg2006-01-12.flac24\tlg2006-01-12s2t09.wav
   48Khz/24bits, 2 channels, 520 sec
TRACK 22 : tlg2006-01-12s2t10.wav   D:\shn downloads\shn\tlg2006-01-12.flac24\tlg2006-01-12s2t10.wav
   48Khz/24bits, 2 channels, 162 sec
TRACK 23 : tlg2006-01-12s2t11.wav   D:\shn downloads\shn\tlg2006-01-12.flac24\tlg2006-01-12s2t11.wav
   48Khz/24bits, 2 channels, 442 sec

Do you also want me to look at what is on the DVD-A after the image is burned?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 11:30:55 AM by dueling »
DPA 4015's, 4022's

Portico 5012

Offline scb

« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2006, 11:34:31 AM »

I just created a new .iso file with DVD-Audio Solo, then used Magic ISO Maker to verify what is in the .iso file...

Audio_TS folder:
ATS_01_0.BUP
ATS_01_0.IFO
ATS_01_1.AOB
ATS_01_2.AOB
ATS_01_3.AOB
AUDIO_PP.IFO
AUDIO_SV.BUP
AUDIO_SV.IFO
AUDIO_SV.VOB
AUDIO_TS.BUP
AUDIO_TS.BUP

VIDEO_TS folder:
(empty)

VOB files are video data.  since you said

AUDIO_SV.BUP
AUDIO_SV.IFO
AUDIO_SV.VOB

are there, this app did put picture/video content in.  did you tell it to?  if not, it's juts putting blank picture content in. 

i might be able to add blank picture content to the authoring process of dvd-audiofile...i'll have to check into the format of those and see how to author
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 11:38:23 AM by scott brown »

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2006, 12:00:21 PM »
Scott, you beat me to it.  Yes, the "SV" part of the  "AUDIO_SV" file names stands for "Still Video".  And I agree that the easiest hack to provide compatibility with the cheap DVD-A players may be to add dummy picture files.  It could be a logo for your DVD-Audiofile program. :)  Of course, it would be nice to be able to specify a whole series of pics that would play, but that would obviously be more work.

So, the common theme seems to be that if you add picture files, everything will work, regardless of what program was used to author the DVD-A.

By the way, while I was reading up on this, I ran across some discussion on the Cubase formus about Wavelab's treatment of the AUDIO_SV.IFO and AUDIO_SV.BUP files which are required to be exactly 4k in length.  Apparently Wavelab 5.1a makes them only 2k in length and it causes problems if you want to send an image to a production house.  I guess most players will tolerate these files when they are only 2k in length, but it does not conform to the DVD-A spec.  Here's a link to the discussion:

http://cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5817&view=next&sid=f1da3f34cdc19509db8382056e1243eb
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 05:39:09 PM by SparkE! »

Offline dueling

• Taperssection Member
  • TeamFocker
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2006, 03:39:16 PM »

Audio_TS folder:
ATS_01_0.BUP
ATS_01_0.IFO
ATS_01_1.AOB
ATS_01_2.AOB
ATS_01_3.AOB
AUDIO_PP.IFO
AUDIO_SV.BUP
AUDIO_SV.IFO
AUDIO_SV.VOB
AUDIO_TS.BUP
AUDIO_TS.BUP

VIDEO_TS folder:
(empty)

VOB files are video data.  since you said

AUDIO_SV.BUP
AUDIO_SV.IFO
AUDIO_SV.VOB

are there, this app did put picture/video content in.  did you tell it to?  if not, it's juts putting blank picture content in. 

i might be able to add blank picture content to the authoring process of dvd-audiofile...i'll have to check into the format of those and see how to author

I went back into the settings of DVD-Audio Solo and found that it had a default checked off for "Still Pictures" set to "on".  And the default path was this:

C:\Program Files\Cirlinca\DVD-Audio Solo\DefaultStillPict.jpg

So yes, I think I did tell the program to put a picture in.  I guess I could try to burn another without this setting on and see if I still have gapless playback.
DPA 4015's, 4022's

Portico 5012

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2006, 03:50:48 PM »
I went back into the settings of DVD-Audio Solo and found that it had a default checked off for "Still Pictures" set to "on".  And the default path was this:

So yes, I think I did tell the program to put a picture in.  I guess I could try to burn another without this setting on and see if I still have gapless playback.
I'd be very interested to know whether you get gapless playback without the Still Pictures set to On.  If it breaks when you turn that off, then that would lend more credibility to the notion that the bug only occurs when there are no pics.

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2006, 05:42:56 PM »
Dang it, Scott!  I've been misspelling the name of your program and no one said anything.  Sorry about that. (My previous posts have been edited to spell it right, but quotes of those posts are, of course, still wrong.)

It's DVD-Audiofile, not DVD-Audiophile.

Offline dueling

• Taperssection Member
  • TeamFocker
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2006, 05:46:38 PM »

I'd be very interested to know whether you get gapless playback without the Still Pictures set to On.  If it breaks when you turn that off, then that would lend more credibility to the notion that the bug only occurs when there are no pics.

Update on DVD-Audio Solo... I authored a DVD-A with the Still Pictures setting turned off, and get gaps between tracks during playback on my Tosh4960.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 06:48:43 PM by dueling »
DPA 4015's, 4022's

Portico 5012

Offline scb

« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2006, 07:08:39 PM »
Dang it, Scott!  I've been misspelling the name of your program and no one said anything.  Sorry about that. (My previous posts have been edited to spell it right, but quotes of those posts are, of course, still wrong.)

It's DVD-Audiofile, not DVD-Audiophile.

hah..no biggie

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.196 seconds with 86 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com