Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: best DVD-audio software?  (Read 18061 times)

Offline SparkE!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: best DVD-audio software?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 04:18:51 PM »
Spark, I could send you my Player maybe...gotta ask.

Teddy

How about we just start with a known gapless DVD-A.  That's got to be less expensive to ship than your player.  Besides, if you send your player, then I'll start thinking about doing mods to it, then I'll take too long and next thing you know, we've got a leegeddy situation. ;)
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2006, 04:20:39 PM »
I'm still not convinced that it's the fault of the player that there are gaps.  I have not yet burned a gapless DVD-A with DVD-Audiophile, at least not when played back on a Samsung HD-841, which I'm told is the same thing (electrically) as a Toshiba 4960.  In the post above, dueling is saying that he's burned gapless with DVD-Audio Solo, but he can't do the same with DVD-Audiophile.

Would anyone be willing to B&P a DVD-A, created with DVD-Audiophile that they claim is gapless so that I can test it on my Samsung HD-841?  I want to believe that it's possible to burn gapless with DVD-Audiophile, but so far I have been unsuccessful in doing so.  There's got to be a reason that so many people are having problems with getting gapless playback with DVD-A's that were created with DVD-Audiophile.

By the way DVD-Audio Solo is available here:

http://www.cirlinca.com/

I can guarantee you it is the player.  I used a HD841 and pretty much everything not authored with Audio DVD creator had gaps.  Those same discs when played back on the pioneer elite dv-45a which I subsequently bought have no gaps....the player has a buffer issue and has been relegated to becoming a dvd player in my bedroom because it does not work correctly for audio

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2006, 04:22:51 PM »
I'm still not convinced that it's the fault of the player that there are gaps.  I have not yet burned a gapless DVD-A with DVD-Audiophile, at least not when played back on a Samsung HD-841, which I'm told is the same thing (electrically) as a Toshiba 4960.  In the post above, dueling is saying that he's burned gapless with DVD-Audio Solo, but he can't do the same with DVD-Audiophile.

Would anyone be willing to B&P a DVD-A, created with DVD-Audiophile that they claim is gapless so that I can test it on my Samsung HD-841?  I want to believe that it's possible to burn gapless with DVD-Audiophile, but so far I have been unsuccessful in doing so.  There's got to be a reason that so many people are having problems with getting gapless playback with DVD-A's that were created with DVD-Audiophile.

By the way DVD-Audio Solo is available here:

http://www.cirlinca.com/

I can guarantee you it is the player.  I used a HD841 and pretty much everything not authored with Audio DVD creator had gaps.  Those same discs when played back on the pioneer elite dv-45a which I subsequently bought have no gaps....the player has a buffer issue and has been relegated to becoming a dvd player in my bedroom because it does not work correctly for audio

I think mine has the same issue as Nick's.  Its not only in the music, but also in the display.  It will go to the next track and sit a 00:00 for a couple seconds, and then start.   Like I said, I get gaps on redbooks as well.  I originally thought it was SBEs, but I don't get them on any other player.

I wish I had another player to try them on.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2006, 04:26:10 PM »
what is descrbed above happened on my unit as well..sometimes the display would actually go negative 2 seconds, count down then start the next track. 

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2006, 04:26:21 PM »
i just know i get no gaps with discs made with wavelab, discwelder or dvd-audiofile

Then how about you make me a believer and do a B&P for something that you've created with DVD-Audiophile that you claim is gapless?  And I'd be happy to send you a DVD-A that was created with DVD-Audiophile that I claim has gaps.

There's got to be an answer to this.  I keep trying to get people to help troubleshoot this issue and so far no one whose system is working seems to be interested in finding out what the issue really is.  As the author of DVD-Audiophile, it seems that you'd have a high degree of interest in any bugs that people report, no matter how small a number of people that is.

DVD-Audiofile calls a command line program called dvda-author (http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/).  It was written by David Chapman, not by me.  My app does a bunch of things, most notably calling his application and creating an iso from the results (using the standard mkisofs).  If there's an issue in his program, then yes that means mine has issues too.  I'd like to get them fixed.  But I won't even pretend to say I'm an expert on the inner workings of his code.  I just know that I have no gaps with files authored with his tool.

If you want, I can put up an iso (made by dvd-audiofile) for you to download that has no gaps on my player.  i'll make it 2 tracks so it's small. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 04:31:12 PM by scott brown »

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2006, 04:29:35 PM »
hells yeah scott - that would be awesome.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2006, 04:30:58 PM »
Spark, I could send you my Player maybe...gotta ask.

Teddy

How about we just start with a known gapless DVD-A. 

1. Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots is a commercial disc and is gapless

2. all of us with players that have no issues will tell you that anything made with wavelab or dvd-audiofile or discwelder is a "known gapless DVD-A"

i'll put up a disc after work that has no gaps on my player.  i'll try to keep it pretty small.  maybe i'll just cut up a track into 30 seconds spots and do it that way

RebelRebel

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2006, 04:37:33 PM »
leegeddy situation. ;)

somehow I dont think itd end up like Leegeddys situation.

Just a hunch.  ;)

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2006, 04:45:32 PM »
If you want, I can put up an iso (made by dvd-audiofile) for you to download that has no gaps on my player.  i'll make it 2 tracks so it's small. 

Great!  That works for me.  And I'd be happy to do the same for an ISO, made from 2 tracks with DVD-Audiofile and which has gaps on my player and we can see if it has gaps on yours.

And yes, I realize that the underlying program is dvd-author by David Chapman.

My hope is that we can definitively identify what the problem is.  Just because a gappy disk will play correctly on a Pioneer deck does not mean that the Samsung HD841 or Toshiba 4960 did anything wrong.  Maybe it's the Pioneer deck that incorrectly ignores a gap that should be inserted.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 05:35:02 PM by SparkE! »
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2006, 05:24:58 PM »
just to add to this thread, I've made many, many discs with discwelder and DVD-Audiofile, and everything plays gapless on my Denon 2200.  I don't think anything is wrong with the underlying code.  just not a consistent implementation of DVD-Audio playback between manufacturers...

if you'd like me to send a gapless DVD-Audio disc your way, I'd be happy to, just send me a PM.  but it looks like Scott's already got you covered anyway.  just thought I'd offer :)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2006, 05:30:24 PM »
My hope is that we can definitively identify what the problem is.  Just because a gappy disk will play correctly on a Pioneer deck does not mean that the Samsung HD841 or Toshiba 4096 did anything wrong.  Maybe it's the Pioneer deck that incorrectly ignores a gap that should be inserted.

OK I will be clearer...every other brand that I and others that I know have tried have no issues...the toshiba 4960 and samsung hd841 do.

good luck.

Offline scb

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2006, 06:22:17 PM »
if you want the disc, PM me.  i've already sent pfife and sparke the link

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2006, 06:25:52 PM »
Thanks, Scott!  I'm just leaving work, so it will take some time to get home, knock out the honey-do list, potty the dogs and get on the computer, but I'll try to report back this evening.

Offline the yokel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2006, 06:51:20 PM »
Thread hijack:

As another Samsung 841 owner i've experienced the gap between tracks as well.   I rember reading a thread not to long ago stating that adding a picture track will fix this problem.  So i made a test disc in wavelab, 1 set with a picture track & one without.  The set with the picture track did play back seamlessly.  The set without a p-track still had a 1-2 sec gap.  So if you own a Samsung HD-841/Toshiba 4096 try adding a picture track & see if it doesn't fix the problem.  Note DVD-Audiophile doesn't support picture tracks, use Wavelab, discwelder,etc...

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2006, 08:44:54 PM »
As another Samsung 841 owner i've experienced the gap between tracks as well.   I rember reading a thread not to long ago stating that adding a picture track will fix this problem.  So i made a test disc in wavelab, 1 set with a picture track & one without.  The set with the picture track did play back seamlessly.  The set without a p-track still had a 1-2 sec gap.  So if you own a Samsung HD-841/Toshiba 4096 try adding a picture track & see if it doesn't fix the problem.  Note DVD-Audiophile doesn't support picture tracks, use Wavelab, discwelder,etc...

hey, by "adding a picture track" do you mean adding a picture by following these directions for adding a picture?

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com