Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How would you EQ this track?  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Gizby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
How would you EQ this track?
« on: September 16, 2007, 07:26:25 PM »
This song comes from a soundboard + mics recording I made, using a lineage of equipment that I haven't quite gotten straightened out in my head yet. I was just getting a couple of AUX channels out of the board, so I was getting an uneven mix. Anyhow, at around 1:37 into the track, the kick picks up significantly as well as some boom. This happens in a few other places in the recording. I don't know whether I was messing with the mixer too much or the soundguy decided he would try upping the kick. When I apply a HPF at about 90Hz, it takes care of the boominess rather effectively. However, I still have an overly noticeable kick drum going that's a little off-putting. I'd like to minimize it as much as possible, but I can't seem to find where I should be taking it out in the EQ. I'm using the Paragraphic EQ in the Waves plugins pack with Audition 1.5 if that makes any difference.

Am I going about this the wrong way? Or am I on the right track? And if anything, what would you do to fix up that track? Thanks.
Mics: DSP mod Oktava MK012s, CAD E100S (2), Studio Projects C4s, SP-CMC-2, Polsen OLM-20
Preamps/BB: Sound Devices MixPre, SP-SPSB-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam DR‑05
Video: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4

Team SoCal

easy jim

Re: How would you EQ this track?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 02:11:55 PM »
I'm guessing that this was an on-the-fly mix, and that you cannot just cut out the SBD since the mix is too uneven, correct?

Assuming so, there's probably not too much you can do about that bass drum being too loud when it is raised in the mix b/c the attack ("thwack") part of the bass drum sound is going to cross over too many frequencies shared by other instruments.  A high pass fiilter somewhere inbetween 50 - 80 hz or so should be enough to limit the boominess, and you could try a notch filter around 80hz for the "thump" part of the bass drum sound, but there is not much that can be done to reduce the entire sound of the bass drum without also affecting the rest of the music.

Offline Gizby

• Taperssection Regular
Re: How would you EQ this track?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 11:59:47 AM »
Yeah, it was a on-the-fly matrix job, unfortunately. That's what I get for working with a guy who thinks audience mics are only good for picking up applause. Thanks for the info.
Mics: DSP mod Oktava MK012s, CAD E100S (2), Studio Projects C4s, SP-CMC-2, Polsen OLM-20
Preamps/BB: Sound Devices MixPre, SP-SPSB-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam DR‑05
Video: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4

Team SoCal

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com