Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Clicking in MD audio during PC transfer  (Read 1768 times)

Offline Jambo2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Clicking in MD audio during PC transfer
« on: September 17, 2007, 05:59:24 AM »
Hi everyone, glad I finally found this forum.  Been taping gigs for a while on and off now and I'm having a minor issue with transfer from MD to PC.

I'm using the optical output from my MDS-JE480 into a Trust 5.1 sound card's optical input.  I'm at work just now and don't have the sound card's model number handy, but it appears to be based on a CMedia chipset.

The problem I'm having is clicking in the left channel in recordings, it's only really audible when listening with headphones and at quiet points in the performance, but it's an irritation nevertheless.  I'm certain it isn't present in the original MD recording.  I'm using Sound Forge 6.0 to capture the audio.

Has anyone come accross this before and do you have any suggestions?

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Clicking in MD audio during PC transfer
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 11:36:37 AM »
If you were using a mic close to the MD when you recorded this it could be picking up the MD when it spins up the disc to record to it.  This is common.  Never put your mic close to the MD unit.  This is all I can think of.  You might also try minidisc.org for help.  They specialize in MD's over there and are quite helpful.

Happy trails.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Jambo2

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 11:43:16 AM »
Thanks for the response.  I should have added that this noise is present when the PC is recording my MDS-JE480 optically but with the player paused. 

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 07:19:23 PM »
yea i used to use a similar soundcard and had similar 'artifacts'.   it wasn't all the time, but kind of sounded like a tick, or a tiny pop.  i never did find out the exact reason why this was happening.  what you could try doing is disable to sound to the speakers and also unpluggin the speakers entirely and see if that helps.

ilduclo

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 07:36:31 PM »
This could be something in the PC itself. If you just hit record with no input source, do you hear the clicking?
If so, could be time for a better PC (my old Compaq used to do this)

Offline Jambo2

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 03:56:32 AM »
Firmdragon, thanks for the suggestions - I'll give them a shot. 

Ilduclo, thanks also for the suggestions.  My motherboard has onboard sound which I have used until recently (analogue line in) but this ticking wasn't present, for that reason I think it's the soundcard itself.  Getting a new PC sounds like a bit of a lottery, and I tend to build my own anyway so would perhaps only replace certain parts.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com