Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Strange Distortion on Bass. How bad is this? (sample included)  (Read 2027 times)

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Strange Distortion on Bass. How bad is this? (sample included)
« on: October 13, 2007, 12:59:22 PM »
Recorded Rush last night. The sound was truly amazing (especially for an arena). I had levels on my h120 set to 12 on both channels and safety clip on (set at 1sec). After the show the levels were down to 8 so the safety clip did SOMETHING although I don't hear it. The recording had potential but imo is completely useless as the bass distorts all the way through. I don't think its the mics I just think the levels were too hot and the safety clip didn't do enough. I wish I checked my levels more but had no chance as security were 1 metre in front all night (I could have sworn he saw my mics several times lol).

What do you think of the sample? Can it be repaired to a certain degree? I know its impossible to get rid of distortion fully but if anything that COULD improve the sound even a little bit would be better than nothing.

Ah well, my first bad recording in nearly 2 years taping. Quite annoyed with myself but I guess these things happen (plus was my first time taping with my Iriver, previously used Hi MD).

Source: Sennhieser MKE40 (MM-HLSC) > SPSB-1 (No roll-off) > Iriver h120 (Rockboxed)

Heres the sample:-

http://www.mediafire.com/?arnngmjdifo

Thanks,
Simon.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 01:07:13 PM by Liquid Drum »
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
Re: Strange Distortion on Bass. How bad is this? (sample included)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 01:10:06 PM »
First post updated!

Another question, what do you think caused the distortion?? It surely can't be the mics overloading it really wasn't that loud (was actually one of the quietest concerts I've seen). I personally think the levels were overloading a tiny bit (hence the mild distortion). I could be wrong though.

::)
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Offline Nicola Fankhauser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 01:19:22 PM »
hi

there is an enormous amount of bass in your sample, 40db louder compared to the mids. since the levels don't clip, your mics were most probably overloaded, even though subjectively it was not that loud. concerts are often drenched with bass you normally don't hear, but feel. your mics' membranes just did not make it with all that air flowing forth and back... :(

regards
nicola

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 01:22:44 PM »
This is strange though because the MM-HLSC are meant to take up to 138spl (and thats without a battery box). This is quite worrying...

:'(
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Offline Nicola Fankhauser

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 04:32:23 AM »
hi

I recently bought the MM-HLSO, which should take about the same SPL, and they distort like hell even at moderate loud concerts. I'm very disappointed, too. I built a 9v battery box to see if it's because of lacking powering (an R-09 does provide plug-in power, though not as much as 9v) - but the distortion is the same, only that levels are now higher...

regards
nicola

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 04:59:21 AM »
hi

I recently bought the MM-HLSO, which should take about the same SPL, and they distort like hell even at moderate loud concerts. I'm very disappointed, too. I built a 9v battery box to see if it's because of lacking powering (an R-09 does provide plug-in power, though not as much as 9v) - but the distortion is the same, only that levels are now higher...

regards
nicola
strange, i never had distortion with my HLSO´s even at loud amplified bassy shows standing 15 meters infront of the right stack using my MZ-RH1 HI-MD recorder with a 9V bbox on line-in.
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline Liquid Drum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 09:05:30 AM »
So anyone got any ideas on how to minimize the distortion? I want to raise the high-end a bit but fear it'll make the distortion worse than it is now.

Any pre-sets/filters or settings I should tweak? (I'm using Audition 1.5 by the way)

Thanks.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com