Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 4)  (Read 106839 times)

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 4)
« Reply #345 on: September 29, 2015, 06:18:48 PM »
Im still on the original firmware - and getting the glitches.

What version is your firmware?  Versions 1.02 and 1.10 are still available for download on the Tascam site.  Current version is 1.11.

Mine says - System Version: 1.00 0037

Thats what mine is as well.  I'd not seen anyone else list it, and was wondering how i ended up with the odd one.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #346 on: September 29, 2015, 06:44:35 PM »
Im wondering if the files are being corrupted in transfer...

Could this be related to some kind of USB synch-ing issue? I have an external HD that doesn't synch properly sometimes (i.e. files playing glitchy, checksums erroring), but will work after replugging it in. I seem to recall my erroneous recordings on the DR-70D (2-channel, btw) being glitchy playing directly from the recorder, but that memory is fuzzy and the files are long deleted from the card.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #347 on: September 29, 2015, 07:44:11 PM »
Has anyone had problems with an approved card?
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #348 on: September 29, 2015, 07:51:55 PM »
I have never updated firmware, so I have the "original" firmware still loaded.
I'm using a SanDisk Ultra 16GB (15mb/s, Class 4) card.
I've only used the DR-70 a few times..  twice in the field..  a number of times at home.
I have not had any problems that I know of.

I'm using original firmware that was loaded when I bought new from B&H during their $200 "bundle" sale. 
System Version:  1.01 0044

I've filled the 16GB card that I've mentioned with about 11GB worth of live streaming audio from satellite radio > 3.5mm stereo input.  And the remaining time left on the card (approx. 4-5GB) with 4 channels of P48 mikes plugged directly into the XLR inputs with P48 on.  So, the card is full and has not been removed from deck.  All recording done at 24bit/48kHz.
All recordings seem to be clean upon playback on the deck.

That's all I know so far.

edit to add:  I'm willing to run some tests with my current card and firmware if anyone has any suggestions.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 08:43:01 PM by Snowman »
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #349 on: September 29, 2015, 09:53:13 PM »
Can anyone confirm they have heard glitches =prior to file transfer= ???

i.e. - you go home, play the files back on the DR-70D and heard digi-noise

Im wondering if the files are being corrupted in transfer...

Asking since I've had previously perfect recordings get corrupted after (seemingly) making another recording on the card.

There was that win10 issue that had CF transfers being corrupted - maybe a Windows update has brought a similar issue to SD cards?

Have heard glitch on right after show through headphone out of DR70.

I have only heard it on an unreformatted card, and a failing card (unusable in anything, dead)
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #350 on: September 29, 2015, 10:16:10 PM »
Some thoughts on recent posts here:

1. I agree that Tom's abrupt "I'm outta here" was premature, and I have PM'd him politely asking for him to return, letting him know that his exit makes it seem that he was not interested in exploring alternative solutions / explanations to the problems users are seeing.

2. Could some of the ire directed at Tom's responses be a result of pent-up frustration over past bad experiences with Tascam customer / tech support?  I can certainly relate - I still can't get any sort of reply from their official email contacts, but I have tried not to take it out on a rep that appears in an online forum.  Tom was the one positive face of Tascam customer support I have dealt with, which is why I was trying to keep the peace.

3. While those who are having problems understandably don't want to throw more money at the situation, the fact remains that there is a recommended media list plus a few other cards that Tom posted here recently.  To my knowledge, no one has yet reported a problem using one of those cards.  Unless and until that happens, you really have little ammunition against the "lazy" or "stock" response of "use the cards on the list".

4. Several people have said it before, but unless you bought cards at an absolutely reputable retailer then you don't really know if you got what you paid for.  Most know to avoid eBay, but I won't buy memory cards on Amazon either, as there are many fakes that are hard to spot.  If the 70D is more "picky" about cards than other recorders, one of these rebrands might be showing its true colors here even if it works fine in another recorder.  The write buffer and how it may be smaller than other multichannel recorders may be significant here.

5. Along those lines, I don't think it's very useful to keep stating that "X card worked great in X recorder but not in the 70D."  Some things are compatible with some things, while not with other things.  Rehashing this point does nothing to help us towards finding a solution.

6. It will be interesting if Pohaku gets any responses in the GS thread he started.  I'm especially interested to hear from Jim Williams in particular, as he has been beating the drum for the 70D loudly and often anytime the subject of recommended recorders comes up.  As he said, there have been no complaints there, and I've seen none on JWSound either (but this recorder is probably too low-rent for those guys to see much use there).

7. The idea of testing a possible transfer issue seems to be worth pursuing.  I have found with my unit that it is somewhat picky about USB cables - the heavy Monoprice cables with the ferrite cores drop the connection for me mid-transfer, but other cheaper cables work solidly 100% of the time.  When I have had a cable drop the connection, it never caused any problems with the files - the files simply didn't transfer, and I changed the cable and all was well.

If Snowman or anyone else wants to test transfer errors, I would suggest:
- Listen to files pre-transfer to confirm presence / lack of errors on original file.
- Transfer via recorder (card still inserted).
- Transfer a second copy via card reader (card removed).
- If any errors pop up post-transfer, try the above again with a different USB cable or card reader.
- If any previously-good files (played back fine on recorder) developed errors after transfer, did those same errors then appear on the original file on card itself?  The curse rebounded...
- Tell us what operating system you're running.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 10:19:24 PM by voltronic »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

tomuo

« Reply #351 on: September 29, 2015, 10:39:05 PM »
Would anybody that has an SD card with glitchy audio on it be willing to send it (the SD card) to us for examination?   Doesn't matter if it's on the list or not.

contact via custser@teac.com please.

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #352 on: September 29, 2015, 10:41:12 PM »
So far 65 views and no responses on GS.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #353 on: September 29, 2015, 10:59:16 PM »
Examining the files on my other 16GB Lexar Platinum II card - these are a mix of 44 and 48 stereo files.

The card is nearly full - less than 2GB left.

Some 4 channel...some 2 channel. All perfect.

And I'm certain I transferred some of these via card reader - and then put the card back in, and recorded again, later (without reformatting) - and subsequent sets are ok.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #354 on: September 29, 2015, 11:06:10 PM »
Would anybody that has an SD card with glitchy audio on it be willing to send it (the SD card) to us for examination?   Doesn't matter if it's on the list or not.

great idea
You guys can't bitch about this offer
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #355 on: September 29, 2015, 11:42:06 PM »

Solid.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #356 on: September 29, 2015, 11:43:38 PM »
As an interested outside observer I'm curious if those of you who bought your DR70s from B&H (during the special or not) receive an included card which wasn't on the tested&approved list?

Offline greenmtnsrider

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My Shows
« Reply #357 on: September 30, 2015, 12:07:15 AM »

great idea!
Mics: Schoeps CMC6/mk4| AKG C414b XLII/ST| AKG c460b/ck61| AKG se300B/Ck91, Ck92, Ck93| Church Audio CA-14 (C/O)| Tascam iM2
Preamps: Lunatec V2| Shure FP24| Naiant PIPsqueak
Decks: Sound Devices Mixpre10t| Tascam Portacapture X8| Tascam DR-70d| Tascam DR-2D
Cables: GAKables XLR

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #358 on: September 30, 2015, 05:57:56 AM »

great idea!

Agreed - that's the same thing the Microsoft representative on GS and JWSound offered when people were having Sound Devices / Win10 card issues.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Online Ronmac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #359 on: September 30, 2015, 08:02:24 AM »

I will check to see if I have a card that I haven't reformatted. If I'd do, I am happy to send one to you. I have a lot of examples of small clip files that haven't been processed and could be easily sent, if that is helpful.

As background... I purchased a 70D after seeing Jim Williams rave about the value. Mine was purchased from BH in April of this year and I used it sporadically for a couple of months leading up to a major project in Jul and August. The firmware was upgraded to 1.10 after I purchased.

I purchased a couple of Lexar 16GB cards and used them without incident for 15 days of intense dialogue capture of a local film production. Total of approximately 900 files of clips ranging from 1 minute to several minutes. Everything worked perfectly and I was over the moon at the quality I was able to deliver to the project. During the last two days of production I started experiencing glitches. This was a couple of days after I upgraded the firmware to latest version. Perhaps a coincidence... I finished the production, sometimes having to call for a scene reshoot because of glitchy audio. I lost confidence in reliability and started checking every file I recorded between shots. I missed some of the longer files that glitches in the end because I couldn't hold up production...

After reformatting cards in the machine and continuing to have problems I came to the conclusion the 70D must be defective. Considering the cost I ordered another in early August to finish some other projects. When I received it I immediately upgraded firmware to the latest version and checked the machine using the same cards I had used earlier. No problems, so I went to the next shoot with confidence and a plan to send the original machine back for warranty repair. First file I recorded on the new shoot was good. Second file was also good. Third file was completely corrupted.... I was devastated and ready to chuck them both and buy another product.

The one thing I couldn't understand was that Jim W was still raving about his on GS. In doing some more research I stumbled on this forum and the light bulb started glowing when folks started talking about different cards. I had thought that buying a high quality card form a reputable dealer was the smart thing to do. Perhaps I was wrong.

I have gone back to using the card that BH sent with my original machine and have not experience any trouble with it in either machine. I am starting to get my confidence back, but won't be fully satisfied until TASCAM comes to a conclusion of why the 70d is so fussy about the cards it is using.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com