Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How do I use my mini disc line input?  (Read 2362 times)

Offline KYBound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
How do I use my mini disc line input?
« on: August 03, 2004, 10:41:36 PM »
Ok, I'm hearing that I need to be pluggin' my mics into my line input of my mini disc recorder to better control the recording level and sound quality.  I have two PZM (flat piano mics) mics that I run into a phantom power source.  Can I and how do I run from the phantom power source into the line input of my mini disc recorder?  Is this something I should do?  Does it make a difference compared to the mic input of my mini disc recorder?

Please please help!  Any assistance is so greatly appreciated.....

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
Re: How do I use my mini disc line input?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 10:46:00 PM »
line input makes a great difference from mic input.  What type of preamp or battery box are you using.  If its a battery box that terminates in a 1/8" plug then you plug that into your line in.  If its a preamp with several "outs" then you need to decide what to use.  If it has an optical out you need a toslink cable and then an toslink to 1/8 optical converter which goes into your line in, both available from radio shack.  If it has rca outs then you need a dual rca > 1/8" cable, that then goes into your line in.  If it has 1/4 mono outs then you should get a dual 1/4" mono to single 1/8" stereo plug, and if its xlr outs then you need dual xlr females to single 1/8" for your line in.  But if you tell us what preamp we can answer this question for you specifically
mics & cameras

Offline KYBound

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 10:51:16 PM »
I have no preamp.  Thus should I get one, or can I do without?  Money is definitely an issue with me...

However, if I were to get one, any suggestions given a very tight budget?

Thanks so much again....

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 11:01:09 PM »
alright, well unless your mics have a battery slot in them you are definatly going to need a phantom power module or preamp.  secondly how do your mics terminate, basically do you use a normal xlr cable for them or do they end in a 1/4" plug.  If the answer is a 1/4" plug ditch them and buy a battery box/mic combo which can be had anywhere from $100 to $1,000+ dollars.  If your mics use a xlr cable and you still want to use them i recommend using a denecke ps-2.  Its not a preamp but it will provide neccessary power to your mics, and you can adjust levels on your deck.  These can be found in the yard sale section occasionally for $100-$115.  What type of mics are you using out of curiousity?
mics & cameras

Offline KYBound

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 11:16:42 PM »
I do have a phantom power supply.  What I had done is run the xlr into a series of adapters ending in a 1/4" plug that went into my mic line.

I'm using some pressure zone mount mics, piano mics.  They are flat, and I have been pleasantly surprised in using them. 

I also have a digital condenser mic that I use for stealth.  However, those recordings are even more difficult given that I've run that mic the same as the others:  directly into the mic line input.

So I'm hearing I need something like a denecke ps-2 which will allow me to better control the levels?  Anything else I might need to know?

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 11:21:33 PM »
alright the ps-2 wont let you control levels at all, all it does is give you phantom power, which is what I thought you meant, that you had no phantom power.  To control your levels you need a unit that provides phantom power and allows you to adjust levels or technically called gain.  To do this the most commonly used unit here is a edirol ua-5, with a digimod so you can do optical recording.  However unless you want to shell out over $200 for a used one your pickings are rather slim.  I am using a samson mixpad 4, which does provide phantom power, and allows you to adujust levels.  I was lucky to get one off ebay for $50.  With that you just plug the mics in to the mic in slots, and then you use a dual 1/4 mono to single 1/8 stero plug to go to your recorder.  So I am thinking you should go with that.  Make sure you get one with a manual though as its got alot of knobs and to a newb like myself with one i got confused easily
mics & cameras

Offline KYBound

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 11:39:08 PM »
Dude, I just want you to know how much I appreciate your help with me on this.  I literally have been trying to solve this on my own for several years.  I will move to doing this, so I greatly appreciate your help and advice.

Peace

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 11:43:58 PM »
no prob, if you need any more help im or pm me
mics & cameras

hexyjones

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2004, 08:32:34 AM »
alright the ps-2 wont let you control levels at all, all it does is give you phantom power, which is what I thought you meant, that you had no phantom power.  To control your levels you need a unit that provides phantom power and allows you to adjust levels or technically called gain.  To do this the most commonly used unit here is a edirol ua-5, with a digimod so you can do optical recording.  However unless you want to shell out over $200 for a used one your pickings are rather slim.  I am using a samson mixpad 4, which does provide phantom power, and allows you to adujust levels.  I was lucky to get one off ebay for $50.  With that you just plug the mics in to the mic in slots, and then you use a dual 1/4 mono to single 1/8 stero plug to go to your recorder.  So I am thinking you should go with that.  Make sure you get one with a manual though as its got alot of knobs and to a newb like myself with one i got confused easily

And note you'll be using your recorder's "Line In."

Setting the levels on a mixer is more complicated...but far from hard. You might want to hook your MD up to a CD player and find a record level setting where your recording is as loud as your source. Use that as a preset - then use the faders on the mixer to bring the signal up...once you have a mixer...you'll see why...(there's 3 places to control siganal strength...4 if you include the MD...)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com