Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audio restoration help for the uninitated? Specifically clip-fixing.  (Read 2234 times)

Offline Nugneant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Hi all.

I have a recording with oh-so-very minor clipping in a few spots. Additionally, there are a few glitches where I moved my mic - basically a "thump-clickle" sorta noise.

I was wondering what the typical process for fixing these errors was. I saw elsewhere in these forums that people use Waves something something and Sony something something - see, my problem is that I tune out the instant I come across a word that means "I will have to pay quite an ugly amount of money for this".

I'm using Goldwave to edit - yeah, so my editing dick isn't as big as some, but it's how you use it that counts. ;)

The best solution I could come up with is to cut the levels when there's a bump... but a couple times this happens during music, so a sudden drop in levels wouldn't be too great. And the clipping, forget it, whatever I've tried so far hasn't helped.

Keep it free -
~N

RebelRebel

Re: Audio restoration help for the uninitated? Specifically clip-fixing.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 05:29:04 AM »
http://www.goldwave.com/features.php

It has a noise reduction/pop filter...

Hi all.

I have a recording with oh-so-very minor clipping in a few spots. Additionally, there are a few glitches where I moved my mic - basically a "thump-clickle" sorta noise.

I was wondering what the typical process for fixing these errors was. I saw elsewhere in these forums that people use Waves something something and Sony something something - see, my problem is that I tune out the instant I come across a word that means "I will have to pay quite an ugly amount of money for this".

I'm using Goldwave to edit - yeah, so my editing dick isn't as big as some, but it's how you use it that counts. ;)

The best solution I could come up with is to cut the levels when there's a bump... but a couple times this happens during music, so a sudden drop in levels wouldn't be too great. And the clipping, forget it, whatever I've tried so far hasn't helped.

Keep it free -
~N

Offline Nugneant

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 05:46:06 AM »
http://www.goldwave.com/features.php

It has a noise reduction/pop filter...

I've tried that... it seems more designed for pops in an LP than digital distortion - for example, in my case, the pops are coming from the combination of drums and high vocals. Setting the tolerance too low will pretty much kill the drums, and too high doesn't seem to detect these as pops.

Unless there's a way of jerry-rigging a typical pop/click filter to work on distortion pop/clicks - in which case, I'm all ears :)

Hi all.

Keep it free -
~N
[/quote]

RebelRebel

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 05:57:51 AM »
[

. .
   2. Select a short section of audio (about one second) that contains only the noise by itself, then use the Edit | Copy command.
   3. Select the entire file (Edit | Select All).
   4. Use the Effect | Filter | Noise Reduction command.
   5. Select the Use Clipboard envelope option.
   6. Preview the settings or choose OK.

If the noise is loud compared to the rest of the audio, some distortion (tinkling, chirping, or tinnyness) may occur. Lowering the Scale setting may reduce it. Some distortion may be unavoidable for loud noise removal.

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
Oade preamp museum curator

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
how about a small sample to see what were dealing with.

Its hard to give blind advice.
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com