Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: FLAC 24/96 compression problems with Audition  (Read 2386 times)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
FLAC 24/96 compression problems with Audition
« on: August 22, 2006, 10:10:03 PM »
I am really new to all of this so please bear with me.  I am having problems compressing my 24/96 files in FLAC.  I split the tracks in Audition and have them all as individual 24/96 tracks.  When I go to FLAC, it says that I have a -replay-gain error and that it has problems with the 96k file.  I can do 24/48 without a problem.  I can save the files direct to FLAC at 24/96 in CD Wave, but I get really terrible compression; it takes a 181 MB file down to 178 MB.  Not too much use for it there.  Is this normal with converting 24/96 files to FLAC?  I looked through the past posts for some info on this and that is what led me to the CD Wave option, but not at those compression rates.  I used level 5 and 6 and I got the exact same file size with both.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: FLAC 24/96 compression problems with Audition
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 10:15:10 PM »
hmmm, never paid great detail to how much the compression is on big files, i think my compression is around .6-.7 usually on 24-bit stuff

are you checking 'save as alternate 24-bit file' in cdwave ???
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline jlykos

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 10:16:01 PM »
hmmm, never paid great detail to how much the compression is on big files, i think my compression is around .6-.7 usually on 24-bit stuff

are you checking 'save as alternate 24-bit file' in cdwave ???

Yes, I tried it both ways and I get shitty compression with both.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 11:02:41 PM »
Not sure what's going on, but...have you tried splitting with CD-Wave and then compressing independently with FLAC FrontEnd?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline jlykos

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 08:44:42 AM »
Not sure what's going on, but...have you tried splitting with CD-Wave and then compressing independently with FLAC FrontEnd?

Have not done this, as I really don't know how to use CD Wave.  I just figured out how to get a decent FLAC compression from the 24/96 files by unchecking the Replaygain box off the FLAC Frontend.  Can I do this legitimately?  What does Replaygain do?  Should I leave it checked?

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 08:58:36 AM »
I just figured out how to get a decent FLAC compression from the 24/96 files by unchecking the Replaygain box off the FLAC Frontend.  Can I do this legitimately?  What does Replaygain do?  Should I leave it checked?

I never have the replaygain box checked.  you should be good to go without it.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 03:23:52 PM »
from FLAC wesbite...

Replay Gain -
Calculate ReplayGain values and store in FLAC tags, similar to VorbisGain. Title gains/peaks will be computed for each input file, and an album gain/peak will be computed for all files. All input files must have the same resolution, sample rate, and number of channels. Only mono and stereo files are allowed, and the sample rate must be one of 8, 11.025, 12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, or 48 kHz. Also note that this option may leave a few extra bytes in a PADDING block as the exact size of the tags is not known until all files are processed.

Note that this option cannot be used when encoding to standard output (stdout).
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline live2496

• Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 09:18:19 PM »
I am really new to all of this so please bear with me.  I am having problems compressing my 24/96 files in FLAC.  I split the tracks in Audition and have them all as individual 24/96 tracks.  When I go to FLAC, it says that I have a -replay-gain error and that it has problems with the 96k file.  I can do 24/48 without a problem.  I can save the files direct to FLAC at 24/96 in CD Wave, but I get really terrible compression; it takes a 181 MB file down to 178 MB.  Not too much use for it there.  Is this normal with converting 24/96 files to FLAC?  I looked through the past posts for some info on this and that is what led me to the CD Wave option, but not at those compression rates.  I used level 5 and 6 and I got the exact same file size with both.

I have noticed not very good compression on 24-bit files recorded with Live2496.

According to this thread there is a problem with flac that needs to be fixed.

http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/flac-dev/2006-August/001937.html

Gordon

AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline Yane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 04:31:56 PM »
Perhaps give Wavpack a try instead?  There's an Audition filter, and it's the only lossless compressor I know of that doesn't choke on Audition's 32 bit float format.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com