Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M/S and Sony Sound Forge 8.0  (Read 1423 times)

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I LIKE FISHIN
M/S and Sony Sound Forge 8.0
« on: January 20, 2008, 01:22:49 PM »
**Crosssposting from Mics & Setup thread**

I happen to prefer L for M and R for S. "Left/right" and "mid/side" are the order in which I normally say those two pairs of things; I find that the association makes more sense that way.

But whichever way you do it isn't actually important to the result, as long as you write down what you did--and keep what you wrote (and read it, and check your wiring when you hook up the matrix for playback).

I aim the 0-degree axis of the figure-8 microphone to the left. That actually matters. M/S matrixes are always designed to follow L = M + S and R = M - S, so if S is inverted, you end up with the L and R channels reversed.

Good luck! Be sure to let us all know how it goes.

--best regards

I think I got it set up right. Now I am just trying to figure out how to mix it in Sound Forge 8.0. I found the menu of Pan/Expand there are a few system presets in the drop down menu:

-Compress Stereo Image
-Expand Stereo Image
-Left to Right (Exponential)
-Left to Right (Linear)
-Normal Mix of M/S recording (L-Mid, R-Side)
-Right to Left (Exponential)
-Right to Left (Linear)

I was previewing the Normal Mix of M/S recording and it sounds pretty good. Guess that is the selection that I want. However, when looking at the L&R wave files, it looks as if the Right channel has a much flatter frequency and appears to be roughly 2db lower than the Left channel. The bass and mids seem to be a bit lower in the right channel now. Is it normal to look like that? I don't know how to change ratios to increase or decrease the mid or side. Below the presets menu there is a process mode dropdown menu offering me the opportunity to go beyond the factory presets and adjust the sound to my liking.  :-\ Here are the choices:

-Pan (Preserve Stereo Separation)
-Pan (Mix Channels before panning)
-Stereo Expand
-Mix M/S Recording to left and right channels

Either way, I am STOKED. Learn something new everyday. Plus this 24bit stuff rawks.  >:D
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 02:45:31 PM by NOLAfishwater »

wklitz

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: M/S and Sony Sound Forge 8.0
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 11:02:10 PM »

I don't know how to change ratios to increase or decrease the mid or side.

when in "Normal Mix of M/S recording" mode, the graph it shows you should have a blue line in the middle, you can drag it up for more mid, or down for more side. Not having SF open at the moment, I may have just reversed the directions, but you should get the idea..

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.031 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com