Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-44 - 4 Channel Recorder (Part II)  (Read 109030 times)

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Recordings
Edirol R-44 - 4 Channel Recorder (Part II)
« on: May 02, 2008, 02:36:48 PM »
Continued from http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,97214.0.html

I love this little guy  :)

« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 08:44:16 AM by Rick »
Retired Taper

kskreider

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Edirol R-44 - 4 Channel Recorder (Part II)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 03:07:47 PM »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline BJacobsen

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 04:27:45 PM »
I like this guy too.  My problem is that no one seems to have them until the end of May.  Does anyone know where I can locate one in the next two weeks???

Thanks Brian
BJacobsen.a-j@comcast.net

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 07:13:40 PM »
In case you are wondering the Japanese are doing everything they can to produce more R44s...

First a mating pair is introduced -

If conditions are right

...they will bond and mate...

The breeding pair enter the their den, previously prepared by the male R44, where the female gives birth to a clutch of R-09HRs, these mature into R44s and emerge from the den 6 weeks later.

Teams of highly trained R44 trappers enter the woods to capture the prize recorders...they are attracted to microphones which are used as bait.

Here we see a captured R44 bound for the US market we believe...

« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 07:30:20 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 08:01:32 PM »
 ;D
Teams of highly trained R44 trappers tapers enter the woods to capture the prize recorders...they are attracted to microphones which are used as bait. As are the tapers themselves.

Dang it, I ate all the bait again.

Always wondered about the details of the manufacturing process.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline boa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • crowesbase loves you
    • crowesbase:an.amorican.archive
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 11:17:33 PM »
I came across an issue today:

- While running Digital In (16/44.1) onto aTranscend 16gb type 6 sdhc card, I continually encountered the "SD SLOW ERROR".  This error surfaced when the card was 1/2 full as well as newly formatted. After switching the 16gb card with a Transcend 4gb type 6 card, I have not encountered the issue again.

Microtech Gefell m22 >  Babynbox > Sony m10acm
Microtech Gefell mv200/m21 > Aerco mp2 > Roland r44ocm

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 12:10:07 AM »
The specified max card size is 8Gb I think?  So maybe some kind of firmware upgrade is required for larger sizes in due course.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 01:31:46 AM »

- While running Digital In (16/44.1) onto aTranscend 16gb type 6 sdhc card, I continually encountered the "SD SLOW ERROR".  This error surfaced when the card was 1/2 full as well as newly formatted. After switching the 16gb card with a Transcend 4gb type 6 card, I have not encountered the issue again.

Let me guess, 4xMono?

If so, just use 2xStereo. People don't like that answer, but hey, if it works...
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 01:37:49 AM »
Is it known whether the input level knob, the continuously variable one, operates in the analogue or digital domain?  The block diagram shows it after the A/D but given that it seems wrong about the limiter, maybe it's wrong about the input level.

I'd like to know this too cause if it's true, I'm not sure I'd ever use the interior knob at all then. If it's just digitally raising/lowering the levels on the fine adjust, that's something I'd rather do in post (one time, instead of twice, once in the unit and a second time in post) -- it also seems like that would not be able to protect you from overs then, you have to make sure you aren't clipping while the fine adjust is at 0, cause if you are, then lowering it would just cause flat wavs that are lower than 0 dbfs, like bricking does. I seriously wonder about this whole thing, I'd like to think this and the limiter are analog, but I have no idea...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 01:39:24 AM by BayTaynt3d »
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline intpseeker

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • In music the passions enjoy themselves
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 09:44:55 AM »
"Here we see a captured R44 bound for the US market we believe..."

What is that mic bar sitting on the tarp in the last picture? Looks like a 'T' with simple mic clips on the ends. Is this standard equipment for 4 channel ambient recording?

Mics:        Akg 451 eb A51's, ck-1's, ck-2's, ck 8's
                Peluso CEMC6 MK2, MK4, MK21, MK41
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
Pre:          ST-9100
Cables:     XTC Silvers, DT47-12's
Recorders: ACM PMD660
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D
                 Church modded R-09 micsketeer
“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” - Bob Marley

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 10:26:50 AM »
it also seems like that would not be able to protect you from overs then, you have to make sure you aren't clipping while the fine adjust is at 0, cause if you are, then lowering it would just cause flat wavs that are lower than 0 dbfs, like bricking does.
Fortunately the preamps have their own clip indicator to the left of each meter.  If you reduce the level of the inner knob below the "noon" position in order to avoid the digital clip indicator to the right of each meter being triggered, then almost by definition the preamp will be clipping anyway.  If you turn it above the "noon" position, and you don't trigger the digital clip indicator, you can be sure that the preamp will not be clipping.  If you turn it up to the limit, you are adding 8dB of gain, and if the meter is still not getting near full scale, then you might as well turn up the preamp gain (outer ring) by one click to add 6dB gain there, and reduce the inner knob back to the noon position.

If the inner knob is digital gain, indeed there is no difference between using that and using digital gain in your DAW software later.  If it's analog, then you could use it to get the highest permissable level into the A/D converter, which might give you slightly better noise figures - but the difference would be extremely subtle, I suspect.

Overall, think of the inner knob as the fader of a mixer channel and the outer ring as the channel trim.  But because the trim is stepped, if you did want to gain ride the incoming audio (in particular, raising the gain if the performance level falls), you'd use the inner knob so as not to get 6dB jumps.

Offline boa

• Taperssection Member
  • crowesbase loves you
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 10:30:33 AM »

Let me guess, 4xMono?

If so, just use 2xStereo. People don't like that answer, but hey, if it works...

Nope. Stereo X 1.

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
    • My Recordings
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 10:37:08 AM »

Let me guess, 4xMono?

Nope. Stereo X 1.

Now that's odd. Its got to be something with the card. I mean 1xStereo @ 16/44 is hardly taxing. I've been doing digital-in @ 24/44 with a 8GB Transcend card with no issues.
Retired Taper

Offline boa

• Taperssection Member
  • crowesbase loves you
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2008, 10:42:23 AM »
Now that's odd. Its got to be something with the card. I mean 1xStereo @ 16/44 is hardly taxing. I've been doing digital-in @ 24/44 with a 8GB Transcend card with no issues.

What type rating is the Transcend 8gb card you are using?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com