Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-44 - 4 Channel Recorder (Part II)  (Read 109199 times)

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Recordings
Re: Edirol R-44 - 4 Channel Recorder (Part II)
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2008, 02:30:02 PM »
Now that's odd. Its got to be something with the card. I mean 1xStereo @ 16/44 is hardly taxing. I've been doing digital-in @ 24/44 with a 8GB Transcend card with no issues.

What type rating is the Transcend 8gb card you are using?

Class 6
Retired Taper

Offline mfoley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2008, 04:53:08 AM »
I came across an issue today:

- While running Digital In (16/44.1) onto aTranscend 16gb type 6 sdhc card, I continually encountered the "SD SLOW ERROR".  This error surfaced when the card was 1/2 full as well as newly formatted. After switching the 16gb card with a Transcend 4gb type 6 card, I have not encountered the issue again.

I've had issues with Transcend 16 gb cards as well.   Panasonic and Toshiba 16gb cards are the only ones that have been tested and proved to work with the R44.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2008, 08:38:10 AM »
Meanwhile, I used mine for real at a string quartet recital this afternoon - with the Sennheiser MKH series MS pair - not stealth or anything, it's an official recording for a classical music FM radio station - and I'm extremely pleased with the outcome.  Only problem was that the venue suffered from distant traffic rumble, so it won't serve as an illustration of how good the preamps seem to be.  Well, they sure record low frequency rumble accurately...

It only occurred to me last night how well the thing is physically designed.  No controls or whatever touch the surface if you put it down on its sides, or upside down (helped in that case by the bumps of the internal mics).  And the wedge-shaped side cheeks help protect the front knobs.  There's almost no reasonable angle at which the display can't be seen.  I found the tiny meters perfectly usable today - peaked to -2dB (I like it hot!).  I used my Tevion battery pack, which with only two channels of phantom barely lost any charge in recording the rehearsal and the 90 minute concert.  In any event I had rechargeables in the R-44 battery bay as well.  Headphone output seems perfectly sufficient - I was sitting at the back of the hall and didn't need to drive the cans more than the half way point in order to hear against the natural sound.

So many cool little touches - for instance, drop a marker during recording, think "oops, I didn't need one there" and press "clear" and the marker is deleted on the fly.  The facility to have preset auto filenames is handy to - before the gig I set up names for rehearsal, part1, and part2, and then you just pick the one you want without having to 'type' them in again.

My only gripe remains the monitoring issue.  It's a nuisance to have to carry and connect up a monitor mixer for four-channel work.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2008, 11:58:44 AM »

- While running Digital In (16/44.1) onto aTranscend 16gb type 6 sdhc card, I continually encountered the "SD SLOW ERROR".  This error surfaced when the card was 1/2 full as well as newly formatted. After switching the 16gb card with a Transcend 4gb type 6 card, I have not encountered the issue again.

I've had issues with Transcend 16 gb cards as well.   Panasonic and Toshiba 16gb cards are the only ones that have been tested and proved to work with the R44.

Not that your actual cards are, but there's A LOT of fake/counterfeit "Transcend" cards on the market. As long as you bought from a reputable dealer, that probably isn't the problem, but if you bought a super low-priced card from a random vendor, it could easily be the problem.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline sonidista

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008, 05:44:39 AM »
Has anyone connected the R-44's USB port to a Mac? Any problems there? Just curious...

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 09:39:30 AM »
Just checking in on this thread.  Carry on.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline picklemic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2008, 04:10:59 PM »

Not that your actual cards are, but there's A LOT of fake/counterfeit "Transcend" cards on the market. As long as you bought from a reputable dealer, that probably isn't the problem, but if you bought a super low-priced card from a random vendor, it could easily be the problem.
I just got back from NOLA Jazzfest and I had problems with a Transcend 8GB 6 class card from New egg. You think they will take it back?
AKG 522 c the pickle,v2,v3,R 44

easy jim

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2008, 04:33:29 PM »
Has anyone connected the R-44's USB port to a Mac? Any problems there? Just curious...

Zero problems with the R-4 Pro, so I'd be shocked if there are any with the R-44.  It mounts as an external HD.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2008, 09:33:09 PM »

I just got back from NOLA Jazzfest and I had problems with a Transcend 8GB 6 class card from New egg. You think they will take it back?

Could you be more specific? What error? What problems? What bit rate? What format? 2xStereo, 4xMono, 1xStereo?
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline picklemic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2008, 11:03:20 PM »
I was running it at 24/48 2xstereo and 24/96 1xstereo and it was working fine and then the next time I put it in it took for ever to turn on(processing). And I could put in my 4GB card and it fires right up. Then I put the 8 back in and I got the slow card on the screen and the levels and time went slow. And the file(?) doesn't play in the unit.

Offline sonidista

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 03:42:00 AM »
Is there an "official" list of SDHC crad brands suitable for the R-44? Toshiba and Panasonic have been mentioned here, Transcend apparently don't work so well, how about Sandisk and others?

Is there a minimum class compulsive for SDHC cards?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 04:36:07 AM by sonidista »

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »
after searching Toshiba and Panasonic 8 and 16GB SD cards I found that they are class 4 type. so then I searched other class 4 cards and found many different choices: http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=class+4+16gb+sd&um=1&ie=UTF-8&checkout=1&sa=X&oi=product_result&resnum=1&ct=checkout-restrict

Cheapest of the search.

PNY 8gb $29 + shipping
http://www.techpalooza.com/showproduct.aspx?productid=1053096

PNY 16gb $76 + shipping
http://www.beachaudio.com/Pny/P-Sdhc16g4-Fs-p-138001.html?utm_campaign=froogle&utm_content=reg&utm_term=p-sdhc16g4-fs&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=froogle&GTKW=p-sdhc16g4-fs&GCID=C12585x003

I am very curious about the PNY's working with the R-44, especially b/c they are half the price.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 10:16:04 AM by NOLAfishwater »

Offline picklemic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2008, 11:31:34 AM »
Now my TS8Gsdhc6 now comes displays PJR #999. >:( :-\ when in the 44
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 11:35:48 AM by picklemic »

Offline sonidista

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2008, 03:33:19 AM »
ordered mine today... they're finally available in Germany too. Can't wait to try this thing out.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2008, 07:22:32 AM »
Tonight I had the chance to try the R-44 in a recording studio.  I used the same mics and the same levels as I'd recently used for a string quartet concert in a church.  Then I simply recorded the 'silence' in the studio.  Now I can edit that onto the fortissimo ending of one of the quartet pieces (peaks to about -2dB below full scale), and simulate the full dynamic range available.

The mics were very low noise Sennheiser MKH series connected direct to the R-44, so the test is close to optimum in my view.

I'll plan to put that together that compiled sample shortly and put it on line.  If an mp3 version seems to me as good as a wave version for illustrating the dynamic range, I'll mp3 the sample, otherwise it will be wave 44.1/16 (as recorded) and rather large.

Now one thing I can already say is that the R-44 in 16 bit mode is capable of revealing the shortcomings of this particular studio.  The 'silence' actually includes the sound of people talking in the corridor outside, through the double doors to the studio, together with a trace of background electrical hum which was also present when I monitored the mics from the studio control room (Grace preamps), so it wasn't the R-44 humming.  You have to turn the headphones right up to hear these sounds but the R-44 is perfectly capable of recording them, with no attendant preamp hiss that I can hear.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com