Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-44 - 4 Channel Recorder (Part II)  (Read 109196 times)

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My Recordings
Re: Edirol R-44 - 4 Channel Recorder (Part II)
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2008, 11:10:07 AM »
Anyone discovered a suitable bag for this thing? Portabrace have nothing... yet. And the pleather case is just horrendous.

I'm using a SoniCase.
Retired Taper

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2008, 03:04:08 PM »
I use a Lowepro Nova 4

R-44 dimensions
Dimensions: 6-3/16(W) x 7-1/4(D) x 2-7/16(H) inches

Lowepro Nova 4
Size(Interior):
11.4W X 5.9D X 7.7H in.

From measurements, I will be able to put the V3, R-44 and 3 DVD batteries in the main compartment. Will strap the Pelican Cases to the outside of it for now. I might end up going with a larger bag to accomodate for everything. If I wasn't running the V3, I could fit the Pelican Case inside the bag as well. Now it is imperative to lighten up my cables. What I plan on doing is have a TSer build me a set of stubby 15' XLR RA's for my mics (ch 1 & 2) and a set of 18" interconnects (ch 3 & 4) to allow for quick setup with other patch cables. 

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2008, 08:51:43 PM »
I use a Lowepro Nova 4

I have found that on visiting your average 'camera' store or section in a larger retailer they usually have a wide range of bags, and it usually does not take long to find something that works for not much money (~$50).

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #93 on: May 23, 2008, 12:18:27 AM »
B&H Photo Video says they have the R-44 in stock now, $895 including shipping

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/sitem/sku=542280&is=REG&bi=E15

Sweetwater says they have it in stock, too, same price.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2008, 11:36:14 AM »
I love this little recorder to death.  It was ideal for the off-the-soundboard gig tonight - took a feed from the inserts of the three channels in use, running into 3 x mono, and deployed an H2 for room sound.  Just before it started I decided to drop the preamps levels by one click on each (-6dB) and that proved to the a good move - as often happens, the performance was somewhat louder than the soundcheck.  That's where the clickable settings are so handy - you know exactly what you've done and you know you've done the same thing to each channel.  And the illuminated controls were very handy in the dark corner I was located in.  No problem finding space for the little machine. No need to look for power - external battery back lasted all evening.

Now all I have to do is to spend a few days remixing and editing the result!  Can't post samples pending artist approval, I'm afraid.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2008, 12:11:43 PM »
B&H Photo Video says they have the R-44 in stock now, $895 including shipping

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/sitem/sku=542280&is=REG&bi=E15

Sweetwater says they have it in stock, too, same price.

Anyone know of better prices anywhere?  There's a member here who I believe is an Edirol dealer, and I'd heard second-hand he was offering a substantially better price, but he hasn't responded to my inquiries.

Offline penguin

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2008, 12:45:04 PM »
Has anyone tried using lithium batteries in the R-44?? The manual says alkaline LR6 or nickel hydride HR15/51 batteries. The lithiums cost twice as much as normal batteries, but they sometimes last 4-5 times as long.

I wish the scrub wheel wasn't so clicky feeling. I prefer the smoother feel like the value wheel on Roland keyboards. A minor thing, I know. Also, I had some of the internal effects set up for certain channels and when I turned it off and turned it on again the settings defaulted. Is there a way to save effects settings??

I really like the internal speakers to listen to what you've just recorded. It's great so a group of people can hear things immediately instead of having one person at a time using headphones. It's not like having a complete monitor system, but I am surprised and pleased how good it sounds considering the size. I like the combo jacks too, and not being forced to buy expensive accessory TA3 cables like on the SD (but believe you me, if I had the $$$ I'd get the SD 788T in the drop of a hat).

I am seriously thinking about getting another to slave together. A month ago I preordered a SD 788T, but canceled that for the R-44 after much contemplation. With the money I 'saved' I can get another R-44 and some RAM for my Mac, maybe a Duet and Logic Studio and I definitely need to update my microphones.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 01:18:43 PM by penguin »

Offline ascouserinnewyork

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Logon and Listen Live
    • CityTalk.fm
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2008, 04:05:03 PM »
I just received my R-44 from Sweetwater, and they honoured the original price of $795  ;D

This unit, in comparison to others (personally I own the Zoom H4), feels quite solid.. not to say I will be dropping it from any height in the future.. but they seem to have put some thought into the size and robustness of it.

Still playing with all the little knobs, wheels, buttons and hoo-haas in the menus (really got to learn to read a manual one day) and - like so many of these recorders - the headphone monitor pre-amp seems low. I use the H4 with an FP33 and get tremendous volume out of the mixer which works great when doing interviews in loud environments (being able to drown out background and hear the interviewee is priceless). Unsure with the R-44 as I decided not to run out the door and work with it yesterday during my jaunt around NYC (just not enough time to play with it prior to) and stuck with the H4 instead.

Many thanks to those recommendations for run-bags. I am presently using the FP33 Portabrace run with the H4 in the Radio Mic. pocket (which does not allow great access to the H4) which is fine. But ditching the FP33 (which may not happen as a few folks have commented on the low mic input s/n) is something I would love to do and just carry the R-44 and the H4 as a backup (which can really stay in the car).

My first task is to figure out this unit - seems almost as easy as plug 'n play - second task is make a cable to connect the output to my mobile phone microphone input (with a headphone output from the phone too) to do live phoners with my station with the ability to playback soundbites too. I know there is equipment that is made specifically for this purpose - but considering I am doing all this radio bit for free - but I would rather see if I can use this unit to do the above.
Michael Wilkins
"A Scouser in New York"
CityTalk 105.9fm

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2008, 04:22:49 PM »
I just received my R-44 from Sweetwater, and they honoured the original price of $795  ;D

When did you place your order?  Do you know if they'll still match that price?

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2008, 04:40:10 PM »

When did you place your order?  Do you know if they'll still match that price?

No they won't. The list price went up.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #100 on: May 23, 2008, 04:43:23 PM »
like so many of these recorders - the headphone monitor pre-amp seems low.

One trick I use for the situation you describe, is to use in-ear monitors (headphones). You can find them for somewhat reasonable prices and the ones I have (shure) block something like 20-30 db of ambient sound if fitted well. Plus the rig is super-small, no more headphones needed, lol, not really... But just saying, if you haven't tried that, it's worth a look regardless of what unit you are recording with.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

stirinthesauce

« Reply #101 on: May 23, 2008, 04:55:05 PM »
got mine today.  man is this thing small  :o  maybe 1/3rd to 1/5th bigger than an mp-2.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2008, 08:01:50 PM »
OT: Just thinking...as the R44 seems to be a somewhat repackaged R4 with tweaks, I'd love to see the same thing done with the R09-HR...

A new unit that shares components with both the R44 (screen, knobs, jacks, buttons etc) & R09-HR, about 2/3 the size of the R44, 2 channels, and the extra $$$ saved put into the mic preamps...essentially they could put the R09-HR innards into a larger case with combo-jacks and the best mic-pres Edirol can make for the reduction in cost.  If it were $500~$600 and the mic pres were exceptional I think they would be on a winner.

digifish
- What's this knob do?

stirinthesauce

« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2008, 08:11:27 PM »
I'll be testing mine this weekend.  First outing will be a festi so it will get a workout.  Will be running 4 channels the whole time.  I'm guessing the safe bet is to run 2 x stereo, no 4 channel mono.

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2008, 08:28:44 PM »
so I purchased an Adata, SanDisk, and PNY cards to try out. All three are type 4 cards. So theoretically they should all work. Once I get my R-44 in, I will test them out. Will report back.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com