Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-44 - 4 Channel Recorder (Part II)  (Read 109199 times)

Offline EverybodyelsE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • EverybodyelsE - Website of Sound Engineer and Composer Martin Johnson
Re: Edirol R-44 - 4 Channel Recorder (Part II)
« Reply #150 on: June 03, 2008, 07:00:35 AM »
First post on here and I'm so happy I found this website  :)

I work on the official Doctor Who audio dramas and I'm thinking of buying the R-44 for sound design, as well as other things! I already own a Zoom H4 and Zoom H2, both of which I love apart from the fact the H4 has a well known beeping and tone problem in recordings using internal batteries! I have bought an external DVD player battery for the H4 and it works beautifully now.

I would be mainly using the R-44 with an AT835b shotgun mic for creating sound effects and as my main recorder, the H4 as backup or if I need a quick stereo recording, the H4 as my 4ch ambiance recorder. Is this a good set up or am I wasting my money?

- How likely is it that the R-44 will be compatible with 16gb and 32gb SDHC cards?
- I'll be getting some Energizer 2500mAh Rechargable AA's for this too. How long would they last?

Thanks,
Martin

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #151 on: June 03, 2008, 09:58:09 AM »
See http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,97214.msg1376451.html#msg1376451 re battery life.  The last few pages of that long earlier discussion relate to user experiences - might be worth a general look.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #152 on: June 03, 2008, 10:13:11 AM »
from the reports of others, no problems with 16g sdhc cards.  Not sure on 32g.  Anyone tried that yet?

I have fallen in love with this recorder  ;D

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #153 on: June 03, 2008, 10:43:05 AM »
from the reports of others, no problems with 16g sdhc cards.  Not sure on 32g.  Anyone tried that yet?

I have fallen in love with this recorder  ;D

it is dreamy isn't it.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #154 on: June 03, 2008, 11:01:24 AM »
Must.. resist.. awhile.. longer..  AARGH!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #155 on: June 03, 2008, 11:10:34 AM »
generally speaking, why wouldn't people just buy the r-44 over the sounddevices 722? I know this is a harsh comparison but I think I would be satisfied with two more channels over two fewer with a hard drive. But then again, that means I would have to come up with two extra mics.
Do those who have the r-44 like them?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #156 on: June 03, 2008, 11:16:47 AM »
Do those who have the r-44 like them?

Umm, have you read any of this thread? 
Have you read any of the posts on this page?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
    • My Recordings
« Reply #157 on: June 03, 2008, 11:20:54 AM »
generally speaking, why wouldn't people just buy the r-44 over the sounddevices 722?

Better Build?, Hard Drive?, Better Sounding? Pretty Lights? Proven Track Recorder? ... 

The question is (if you have a outboard A/D) why would you get a HD-P2 or PMD-671 over the R-44.
Retired Taper

Offline EverybodyelsE

• Taperssection Newbie
    • EverybodyelsE - Website of Sound Engineer and Composer Martin Johnson
« Reply #158 on: June 03, 2008, 11:28:31 AM »
Thanks guys. Very nice to see quick posts in a forum  ;)

I will definitly be getting one of these ASAP! I've fallen in love with it already before I've even got it, lol. Sounds very impressive and looks gorgeous. I'll be getting the optional bag too, which is a fantastic addition.

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #159 on: June 03, 2008, 11:29:51 AM »
You guys are killing me. 
Occasionally....music mics record

stirinthesauce

« Reply #160 on: June 03, 2008, 11:40:06 AM »

What is comprised, IMO, in the r-44 over the higher priced boxes is more than made up by it's appeal fiscally.  It also functions wonderfully, the stock pre's actually sound pretty darn good.  Of course, I'm still running outboard pre/ad on channels 1,2 and soon will be running outboard on channels 3,4 but still, the price is far far far lower than the other 4 channel recorders of another name.  I would not hesitate, in lowpro situations, to just run it stock.  I also like not having a hd.  I much prefer removable, swappable, flash memory.  Reduces size, weight and improves battery performance.

I think edirol hit a homerun with this box. 

Offline sonidista

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #161 on: June 03, 2008, 12:15:32 PM »
generally speaking, why wouldn't people just buy the r-44 over the sounddevices 722?

Better Build?, Hard Drive?, Better Sounding? Pretty Lights? Proven Track Recorder? ... 

Build is better on the SD, true, but very heavy and the R-44 is well built too. Hard drive sucks if you ask me, time from switching on the SD until you're able to record is looooong, R-44: less than 5 sec, unbelievable! Sound, yes, that one goes to SD without any doubt. Pretty lights too, but I like the display on the R-44 better. Its also cool that you can easily look atthe display from top and front due to its 45 degree angle.
Well, it's not easy to justify the huge price difference between SD and R-44..

Offline mfoley

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #162 on: June 03, 2008, 12:20:41 PM »
I can't believe we are trying to compare the 722 and the R44 given the HUGE cost difference...however since we are even considering comparing the two shows how much bang-for-the-buck the R44 is...  I agree...Edirol has got a winner here...

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
    • My Recordings
« Reply #163 on: June 03, 2008, 01:05:39 PM »

Agreed
Retired Taper

Offline Alex_The_ Frenchy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #164 on: June 03, 2008, 01:57:15 PM »
Hello guys, it's my 1st message here.
I speak a quite bad English, so I apologise for my grammar and vocabulary. :tomato:

I'm an happy owner of R-44 since 10 days, and I think I'm perhaps the 1st one in France  ;D because no-one replies to my several posts on different french websites. But I'm very pleased to join the R-44 users'club

I read your posts from several days and really agree with you: this box is a bomb... It sounds terrific.

I haven't test how long time it's possible to record with 4xAA yet. Someone does?

Agreed

+1  ;)

I do love this R-44!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com