Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-44 - 4 Channel Recorder (Part II)  (Read 109281 times)

Offline sonidista

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Edirol R-44 - 4 Channel Recorder (Part II)
« Reply #225 on: June 13, 2008, 07:45:12 AM »

My best guess is mobile phone noise, the image below is the part where I could hear ticking. It took me a while to realise that this wasn't part of the music. As you can see below I copied the second (clearer one), the top part of the image, back into the more noisy part of the track and you can see it's the same rhythm twice, has that mobile-phone kind of rhythm to me....

digifish

thanks a lot for evaluating this digifish! It is mysterious indeed. But I am not sure if it can be mobile phone noise, since the space is underground and there is no signal at all down there. My guess is the weak electric system in the space. Before I got the R-44, I recorded with an MBox2 Pro and Laptop and whenever the guitarist stepped on his distortion the recording stopped!
And not to forget, this noise was only on the 2 tracks with 48V enabled, the other two recorded at the same time show no sign of this clicking at all... anyway I hope at least it's not the R-44 that produces this noise...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 07:51:14 AM by sonidista »

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #226 on: June 13, 2008, 07:53:41 AM »

My best guess is mobile phone noise, the image below is the part where I could hear ticking. It took me a while to realise that this wasn't part of the music. As you can see below I copied the second (clearer one), the top part of the image, back into the more noisy part of the track and you can see it's the same rhythm twice, has that mobile-phone kind of rhythm to me....

digifish

thanks a lot for evaluating this digifish! It is a really weird thing. But I am not sure if it can be mobile phone noise, since the space is underground and there is no signal at all down there. My guess is the weak electric system in the space. Before I got the R-44, I recorded with an MBox2 Pro and Laptop and whenever the guitarist stepped on his distortion the recording stopped!
And not to forget, this noise was only on the 2 tracks with 48V enabled, the other two recorded at the same time show no sign of this clicking at all... anyway I hope at least it's not the R-44 that produces this noise...

I was thinking more noise from a mobile phone near your mics transmitting not the network itself. It would not be surprising the phantom mics would pick up the sound independent of the other channels you were using since phantom mics are sensitive beasties :)  What was plugged into the other two channels?

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline sonidista

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #227 on: June 13, 2008, 10:32:03 AM »

I was thinking more noise from a mobile phone near your mics transmitting not the network itself. It would not be surprising the phantom mics would pick up the sound independent of the other channels you were using since phantom mics are sensitive beasties :)  What was plugged into the other two channels?

digifish

sounds sensible... other two channels were dynamic mics placed in the same room.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #228 on: June 13, 2008, 11:04:39 AM »
Hey digifish,

What kind of critter is that in the photos you posted?  Impressive to be able to get so close without him bolting.. the power of food I suppose.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #229 on: June 13, 2008, 06:49:10 PM »
Hey digifish,

What kind of critter is that in the photos you posted?  Impressive to be able to get so close without him bolting.. the power of food I suppose.

It's an Australian Brushtail possum. Yes always carry food if you are recording wildlife. This one came onto the balcony one night of a place I was staying in Tasmania on a field-recording expedition.

You can download the sample being recorded in those shots from freesound...

http://www.freesound.org/samplesViewSingle.php?id=53291
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 06:53:04 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #230 on: June 14, 2008, 10:28:37 AM »
As noted in the Media forum I've been testing the R-44 with a basic grade Sandisk 4Gb card, rated class 2 I believe, and even writing 2 stereo files at 24/96 there's no problem as far as I can see.  Maybe a longer soak test is required.   This helps with the dilemma faced by heavy pro users, namely, that you might not be able to transfer and back up your recordings as fast as you are making them, so you might find that at least temporarily you'll need to archive the original memory cards.  And if low cost ones will do, then that's not such a big deal.  ($6AU per gigabyte for 8GB Sandisk, here, at best).

Offline hypnotoad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #231 on: June 14, 2008, 02:21:36 PM »
Hey digifish,

It's an Australian Brushtail possum. Yes always carry food if you are recording wildlife. This one came onto the balcony one night of a place I was staying in Tasmania on a field-recording expedition.

Those are some great shots, and he's quite possibly the last thing I thought I'd see in this thread. +t :)

kskreider

« Reply #232 on: June 19, 2008, 02:45:04 PM »
OK, I bit.  Anyone have any luck with the 16GB cards, or should I stick with an 8GB?

Maybe one of these two:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10008683

or

http://www.supermediastore.com/adata-16gb-class-6-turbo-sdhc-sd-card.html

?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 02:46:36 PM by DarkStarJedi »

Offline boa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • crowesbase loves you
    • crowesbase:an.amorican.archive
« Reply #233 on: June 19, 2008, 10:56:54 PM »
OK, I bit.  Anyone have any luck with the 16GB cards, or should I stick with an 8GB?

Maybe one of these two:

or

?

I bought a Transcend 16gb @ class 6 and it failed with SD SLow errors on digital in.

I then bought 2 8gb Kingston class 2 and they work like magic recording in all the available formations.
Microtech Gefell m22 >  Babynbox > Sony m10acm
Microtech Gefell mv200/m21 > Aerco mp2 > Roland r44ocm

Offline busterr

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #234 on: June 20, 2008, 12:10:43 AM »

Maybe one of these two:

or

?

I have no idea if the Adata 16gb has been tested yet or not, but here's a link to one like the one you linked to for $54.99 w/ free shipping.

I've ordered a few things from this place after Newegg screwed me over on an order. Roughly the same prices as Newegg(some cheaper), very quick shipping, no problems whatsoever. FWIW I did grab a couple 8gb Adata class6 sdhc cards from them that are working great so far in the r-44...4ch digi+analog @ 24/48 stereox2.
It seems to me the Adata cards work well in pretty much every recorder out there, so it may be worth it for someone to check out.

http://www.chiefvalue.com/product-_-productdetails.cv_-_item--CE00153686010060

kskreider

« Reply #235 on: June 20, 2008, 01:56:50 AM »
Thanks for the link.  I will roll the dice and try the A-DATA.  On the other hand, you probably do not want to know that Newegg and ChiefValue are one and the same.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #236 on: June 20, 2008, 09:42:14 AM »
See http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,105391.0.html where I concluded that, on the face of it, a class two card should suffice for 24/96 on two stereo tracks, or indeed for high definition AVCHD video (and I have successfully tested both those scenarios).  Maybe it depends on precisely which class 2 card, though.  My feeling is that trying a class 2 card is a pretty inexpensive experiment, but meanwhile I've bought the most expensive class 6 cards on the market on the principle that my recordings and video are worth that once-off cost, even if over-the-top.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #237 on: June 20, 2008, 11:22:06 AM »
It's not just about writing data, transferring off your files also benefits from using class 6 cards.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #238 on: June 20, 2008, 01:38:14 PM »
Hey digifish,

I'm glad he asked (and you answered). At first I thought that was one ugly cat. But compared to the possum's we get here in the deep south (USA), that thing is beautiful.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline leddy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #239 on: June 20, 2008, 04:49:59 PM »
Hi all.  I'm new here but I have been enjoying reading up on gear.

I am a current R4 owner.  I just placed an order for an R44.  My plan is to have two so I can link them. 

Thanks for all the great info.  I hope I can contribute useful things about the R44 soon.

Jazz musician - String bass. 
Gear:  Edirol R44(2), Sytek Pres, Byer MC930's, Oktava MC012's, Avenson STO's, & Beyer M160/130's.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com