Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Leegeddy vs. VH Audio Pulsar cable review...finally  (Read 9602 times)

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Leegeddy vs. VH Audio Pulsar cable review...finally
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2005, 07:09:42 PM »
so perhaps I'm not crazy for using bare wire after all.....

Twisted, low-gauge, formvar-varnished magnet wire deserves a listen, as well.
Just check for shorts before connecting ! :o

yes, I am *very* careful about the stray cable strands

I mean solid magnet wire from big AC transformers.
One thick grain-oriented copper strand.
Cool stuff !

BobW

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2005, 07:19:00 PM »
I have my reservations regarding spc. it is also noted in further reading that the dissimilar metals react and cause a "cancer" in the cable that if I recall correctly, might be called "red oxidation"? (It's been a long while since I read that, and I dont recall the proper name for the oxidation condition though).

more reading bits (and this might help in explaining Scotts comment of a "film over the vocals" ((a paraphrase)):

At audio frequencies, otherwise small differences in simple DC resistance significantly alters impedance. Therefore, the presence of both silver and copper in the signal path is capable of creating two different, frequency dependant, conductive pathways to the signal which is a non-linearity that NO audio cable should be causing, especially not a "high-end" audio cable![/url]

I hold great reservation on the "technical opinion" held by infommercials and sales websites.

I'd like an independent lab and some science, please ! ::)

I posted that because it supports the point I make about trace voltages and metal incompatability, not because it is solid unbiased research. I don't need white papers to tell me what I've encountered in real life in dealing with metal incompatability, and I can easily assume what i've learned in marine applications, and apply those assumptions to other forms of incompatabilities.
have you ever dealt with metals that have been corroded because of incompatability, galvanic distortion?
*example: an aluminum boat that is moored next to a bronze tillered sailboat, 15' away, will be dissolved at a steady pace until it sinks, unless proper anodes are placed for the corrosion to occur.
They seem solid until they crumble. By introducing two malleable metals with an extremely high rate of natural oxidation of there own, and you cross those metals, you are introducing trace voltages that are measurable, and destructive (extremely destructive in the marine environment).
Why introduce something that is going to be producing a trace voltage on its own?
You cross two incompatable metals, you get electrical voltage. Audio signal is voltage, and impedence dependant. Why introduce something that is prone to this?

edit: removed dexter from the quote, and added *example

Point well taken !
I'd assume that the silver-plated copper wire uses alloys that are compatible.
Silver and copper are similar, but I left my Periodic Table of the Elements on my 11th Year SAT desk and never looked at it again   ;D
I know silver-copper won't make a battery, but it may depend on the metalurgists hand as to the alloy.

I'm not trying to play the devil's advocate too much, but I just want to keep the idea that vendors can bend the truth a bit in play.
My toolbag has some WWII surplus silver-clad copper that has silver tarnish on the exposed ends, but is otherwise pretty clean.
Silver tarnish is conductive, FWIW. I don't know if it affects sound, to those who can hear interconnects.
I can't hear differences significant enough to warrant huge upgrades. I usually hear changes in barometric pressure and sonic-memory to a much, much greater degree !

BTW, how'd you fair in the Tsunami scare ?

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2005, 07:28:40 PM »
silver and copper are not alloys.  the military spec silver clad copper are great products that are used in aircraft/naval wirings. so, i'm pretty sure they are quite durable.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

BobW

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2005, 10:32:41 PM »
silver and copper are not alloys.  the military spec silver clad copper are great products that are used in aircraft/naval wirings. so, i'm pretty sure they are quite durable.

marc

I told you that I didn't have a periodic table    ;)

On the other hand, wire silver and copper aren't pure either.  They have other things (metals ?) in them to give them characteristics needed for drwaing, spooling and other handling.  Definitely not my science !

This wire came from an ARC-5 radio receiver, aka "boat anchor."

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2005, 12:06:47 AM »

marc

I told you that I didn't have a periodic table    ;)

On the other hand, wire silver and copper aren't pure either.  They have other things (metals ?) in them to give them characteristics needed for drwaing, spooling and other handling.  Definitely not my science !

no, they're not pure (100.00%) since they contain impurities in a VERY small percentages (ie, .001%). but they are not alloys, which by definition is a mixture of 2 or more metals.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2005, 06:54:07 AM »
  the military spec silver clad copper are great products that are used in aircraft/naval wirings. so, i'm pretty sure they are quite durable.

marc

This was my thought as well and the reason for my comment on "missing a piece of the puzzle".  Like ya said it's mil spec aircraft wire so I would hope it will stand up to the punishment of a hifi system.

"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2005, 09:26:57 AM »
but flexing them leads to micro fractures in the silver plating, which leads to the reported "red oxidation" corrosion issues. That red oxidation is the copper going away via the electrolytic degradation, galvanic distortion.

Although tiny fissures in the silver may develop, wouldn't the teflon coating prevent any oxygen from contacting the exposed copper?

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2005, 10:20:03 AM »
There were some of the leegeddy cables in the gear loaner section.  That might be a quick way to try them.

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2005, 11:48:37 AM »
And I will likely buy some cable and build some of these interconnects, just to see what the hype is behind spc.

Check it, bottom half of the page, all the SPC you could ever hope for.  I use the Belden SPC 20 and 22 AWG in any amps I work on with pretty good results.

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/622/724.pdf
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2005, 02:31:47 PM »
Scott,

are your pulsars cryo'd?  (I'm too lazy to search the thread)

I ask because I got my order from chris today and when I put in the pulsars I had cryo'd, there was a much smoother presentation than before.   The individual sounds that were repeatably forward in the image are now more blended but the detail is still very clear.

I know that auditory memory is short lived.  But there are certain aspects of sound during playback that can really cause me discomfort in my left ear.  I was getting a bit of that when I originally auditioned the cable.  Now that is gone.

My first time with cryo'd anything.  Very cool.  I wasn't expecting much, thinking for $20 bucks I could rule out cryo as being audible.  Damn.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2005, 02:55:56 PM »
Scott,

are your pulsars cryo'd?  (I'm too lazy to search the thread)

I ask because I got my order from chris today and when I put in the pulsars I had cryo'd, there was a much smoother presentation than before.   The individual sounds that were repeatably forward in the image are now more blended but the detail is still very clear.

I know that auditory memory is short lived.  But there are certain aspects of sound during playback that can really cause me discomfort in my left ear.  I was getting a bit of that when I originally auditioned the cable.  Now that is gone.

My first time with cryo'd anything.  Very cool.  I wasn't expecting much, thinking for $20 bucks I could rule out cryo as being audible.  Damn.

No they are not.  If there is that big of a difference, I wonder if I can send them in and have it done.  I'm guessing they do this on the bare wire.

sc

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2005, 03:45:49 PM »

No they are not.  If there is that big of a difference, I wonder if I can send them in and have it done.  I'm guessing they do this on the bare wire.

sc

I bought my pulsars used off audiogon and sent them to chris for the cryo job.  They get cryo'd as an assembled cable.  $20 or roughly what I'd blow on a visit to the brewery. 

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2005, 04:36:14 PM »
Are they better than the other cables you just got???  Mine may be off to Chris then!

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2005, 05:16:30 PM »
Are they better than the other cables you just got???  Mine may be off to Chris then!

I have (edit:) not done a thorough comparison.   The AUAU are clear but not forward like the pulsars were when I got them.  The cryo'd pulsars and AUAU are very similar.  Both are miles ahead of the cardas I shipped out.   Both are better than the vampire silver/ofc and MIT330 shotgun but by how much I can't really say yet.  I hear a difference but I don't know if it's better.

You are welcome to borrow my cryo'd wires for a test but it's not a fair comparison to yours since these have the copper bullets.

I did try taking out the MIT and use both the pulsar and AUAU in the system.  (AUAU between 2900 and PV14L, pulsar between PV14L and Premier 11A)  The difference was really clear to me.  I wish I had multiple pairs of each to try a system with consistent wire throughout.

I played a few samples and during Don't Tell the Band on the DVDA, that howling sound in the backgound was really spooky and clear.  I didn't notice it as much before. 

« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 05:23:15 PM by Lil' Kim Jong-Il »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com