Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz PMD670 CF Formatting Issue  (Read 3556 times)

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
Marantz PMD670 CF Formatting Issue
« on: September 11, 2019, 08:29:39 PM »
Hey all,

So I bought a Marantz PMD670 off eBay in order to do DAT transfers. This has been such a pain in the ass... I have bought a shit ton of CF cards. I first tried a 16GB. I tried to format it on my Mac in FAT32 format. It wouldn't read in the Marantz. I keep getting "CardAccErr" when prompted. Thought I fixed the problem when I heard they only took 8GB cards... So I bought another one of those. Only to get the same results from formatting in FAT32... THEN. I went to be really safe and see with a 2GB card and that one doesn't read and just keeps saying "format on PC." WTF does that mean? I keep formatting it as a FAT drive. Do you think this machine is defected? I am really about to send this thing back.

I was thinking, maybe you have to be on a Windows computer in order to actually format these things. I've bought so many stupid adapters and CF cards at this point. It's pretty excessive. Thanks.
http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

Offline IMPigpen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Marantz PMD670 CF Formatting Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 01:21:32 PM »
I actually just bought a PMD670 for the same purpose so was reading the manual this morning.   You should be able to format up to 8 GB CF cards in the deck.   It only says anything larger than 8GB needs to be formatted on a computer.   

In the manual it does say:  "The CF card formats used by the PMD670 are Windows compatible.  You can copy audio files using a Windows compatible computer* that can read a CF card or be connected via the I/O port.

* Or a Macintosh computer that can recognize Windows compatible removable drives."

So formating with a Mac may be one of your issues, but the 2 GB card should format in the deck itself.
Mics: Neumann KM184s; ADK TLs; Naiant X-R omnis & cards; MM-BSM-7M omnis
Pres/Battery boxes: Sound Devices MixPre; Naiant IPA; Sound Professionals SP-SPSB-6
Recorders: Tascam DR-70mkii; Tascam DR-60Dmkii; Tascam DR-40; Roland R-07
Cassette Transfers:  Nakamichi CR-1A->Tascam DR-60Dmkii
DAT Transfers:  Tascam DA-20mkii->Marantz PMD-670

My LMA uploads:  https://archive.org/details/@brandon_smith

**Have any old Strangefolk or Eddie From Ohio shows not on the LMA?  Let me know!**

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 06:55:18 PM »
I actually just bought a PMD670 for the same purpose so was reading the manual this morning.   You should be able to format up to 8 GB CF cards in the deck.   It only says anything larger than 8GB needs to be formatted on a computer.   

In the manual it does say:  "The CF card formats used by the PMD670 are Windows compatible.  You can copy audio files using a Windows compatible computer* that can read a CF card or be connected via the I/O port.

* Or a Macintosh computer that can recognize Windows compatible removable drives."

So formating with a Mac may be one of your issues, but the 2 GB card should format in the deck itself.

I honestly think there is something wrong with this unit. I have formatted the CF cards on both a mac and PC with no read ability. But it will read the 125MB CF card that was supplied. Won't format the 2GB card internally either.

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 06:58:27 PM »

I honestly think there is something wrong with this unit. I have formatted the CF cards on both a mac and PC with no read ability. But it will read the 125MB CF card that was supplied. Won't format the 2GB card internally either.

firmware update needed on the deck perhaps?
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 07:56:05 PM »

firmware update needed on the deck perhaps?

Was also thinking the same thing. Getting in contact with their customer service has also been very tough. I just decided to scrap it and buy a 671 that can also do 24 bit.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com