Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Deity PR-2 Pocket Recorder  (Read 84190 times)

Offline grawk

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Deity PR-2 Pocket Recorder
« Reply #225 on: June 03, 2024, 12:35:51 PM »
They have not said their methodology for the 32 bit encoding, and typically a mono recording would be the tip and sleeve from the minijack, which would be left channel, one track track
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sonosax minir82/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #226 on: June 03, 2024, 01:50:00 PM »
It means mono has 24 and 32 bit options and stereo only has 24
That in no way answers my questions.

I thought that was a very clear response. In 24-bit mode, it can record two channels. In 32-bit mode, it can only record one. As to why this is the case, that's a mystery.
It may be clear but does not answer my question. My question was specific to someone who has the unit. The above answer is obvious and not what I was asking. Perhaps repeating what I am asking will help.
Because the unit does record in stereo, and because it does accept a stereo mic, what exactly does it mean when 32Bits is selected? Does it go to 2 mono channels? Does it go to one mono track only? If so it it pulling from the left mic or the right mic. I am just looking for some details to understand what switching to mono in 32Bit mode means exactly.

My apologies - I was not understanding your question.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #227 on: June 03, 2024, 01:55:32 PM »
My speculation, yet seems clear enough to me.  The auto-switching between multiple input gain / ADC stages that happens in the course of constructing the data for the 32 bit file requires two or more separate gain/ADC paths (3 in the case of SoundDevices).  A stereo path provides two.  They can use them as two separate channels with identical gain for 24bit stereo, or use both for a single mono channel by setting them to different gains and auto-switching between them to produce the data which gets written as a mono 32 bit file.

That theory sounds plausible, if a bit strange implementation. AFAIK, all other modern field recorders with multiple ADCs have the same number of channels flowing through each of them regardless of the file format eventually being written.

The 48 kHz limitation with this device in either mode still has me scratching my head.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #228 on: June 03, 2024, 03:18:17 PM »
^ I think the film standard is 48 kHz?

With respect to the 24-/32-bit issue, I think it requires quite a bit of processing. I suspect they either cheaped out or were unable to obtain their desired chip.

Offline breakonthru

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #229 on: June 03, 2024, 04:18:31 PM »
My speculation, yet seems clear enough to me.  The auto-switching between multiple input gain / ADC stages that happens in the course of constructing the data for the 32 bit file requires two or more separate gain/ADC paths (3 in the case of SoundDevices).  A stereo path provides two.  They can use them as two separate channels with identical gain for 24bit stereo, or use both for a single mono channel by setting them to different gains and auto-switching between them to produce the data which gets written as a mono 32 bit file.

That theory sounds plausible, if a bit strange implementation. AFAIK, all other modern field recorders with multiple ADCs have the same number of channels flowing through each of them regardless of the file format eventually being written.

The 48 kHz limitation with this device in either mode still has me scratching my head.
as I mentioned earlier in the thread all of the chip manufacturers have multichannel chips that can be summed as needed, but a 4 and 8 ch chip takes *a lot* more power and is certainly a design consideration. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s fpga and not a dedicated adc chip, considering how multi-function the unit is
« Last Edit: June 03, 2024, 07:22:58 PM by breakonthru »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • We create auditory illusions, not reproductions
« Reply #230 on: June 03, 2024, 05:13:30 PM »
Likely. I too suspect this is a cost-saving measure realized by halving the processing and powering requirements, regardless of the actual physical implementation.

Consider it to be somewhat analogous to the older non-auto-switching mode of recording a second set of safety tracks at lower level.  Engaging that mode requires a second set of ADC channel paths and recorded output channels, but because no additional ADC>output-file channel paths are available, it cut the available recorded channel count in half.  Very similar behavior.

Zoom and SD could have similarly limited the number of inputs when set to record 32-bit float mode, however the SD series II and Zoom F8 "Pro" generation recorders were designed with sufficient resources to be able to support "auto gain/ADC switching" at full input channel count.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Rairun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • my recordings
« Reply #231 on: June 07, 2024, 06:38:16 PM »
I was still toying with the idea of buying one of these, not because of 32-bit float but because of the form factor, 5V PiP and the hopes for a good preamp (which, I hear, is true of their Theos transmitters). But then I saw these were available:

https://store.lom.audio/products/usi-phantom-adapter?variant=4542168629280

Just ordered the adapter and a Zoom F3 instead. The phantom adapter runs on 24-48V phantom, and outputs 8V, so I'm hoping selecting 24V on the Zoom F3 will give me more than enough battery life for a single show on rechargeable AAs.
archive.org/details/@rairun

Offline Psinka

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Megamozg Team
« Reply #232 on: June 08, 2024, 04:33:20 PM »
Today I visited shitty gig to test PR2 in the wild )))
The sound in the club was pretty shitty for these type of shows  :-\
For all mics gain was set to 0.

With DPA 4061 and Deity W.Lav Pro I recorded about 30 seconds in 32bit mono.
With CAFS I recorded almost whole show in 24bit stereo.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1A0qMgdXZgy2mqee-9QrG4R2JiYKTf4ju?usp=share_link

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #233 on: June 09, 2024, 01:45:08 PM »
Today I visited shitty gig to test PR2 in the wild )))
The sound in the club was pretty shitty for these type of shows  :-\
For all mics gain was set to 0.

With DPA 4061 and Deity W.Lav Pro I recorded about 30 seconds in 32bit mono.
With CAFS I recorded almost whole show in 24bit stereo.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1A0qMgdXZgy2mqee-9QrG4R2JiYKTf4ju?usp=share_link

Thank you for the samples. That music is pretty intense, I love it.

Interesting results, were you standing in the same spot for all 3 samples? It sounds like the bass/ subwoofers are pretty strong for this show, and that 5v PiP is proving it's worth by the lack of distortion. Keep the samples coming if you can  :coolguy:
Line Audio CM4 (4) / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 (2) / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / F2 (2) / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Psinka

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Megamozg Team
« Reply #234 on: June 10, 2024, 04:07:03 AM »
Thank you for the samples. That music is pretty intense, I love it.

Interesting results, were you standing in the same spot for all 3 samples? It sounds like the bass/ subwoofers are pretty strong for this show, and that 5v PiP is proving it's worth by the lack of distortion. Keep the samples coming if you can  :coolguy:

Same spot all the time.
I standed in first row in the right side of the stage. It's not so good place for taping, but at rock shows at same spot results usually much better  ::)
I hope i can visit punk show on saturday to record more samples  >:D

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #235 on: June 10, 2024, 10:35:41 AM »
Hmmm.  I have at last got around to reading the last few weeks of this thread.  The whole "32 bit float is mono only" thing seems to be a bit terminal.  I have a DJI Mic 2 which does that and is only a fraction of the size of the PR-2, and it has a built in mic as well as a lav mic input.  And it transmits by wireless or bluetooth to suitable devices.  How does it sound?  Dunno, I have never got around to using it.  But this whole 32 bit float space is now so packed with options for different purposes that the PR-2 has the feel of something that is out of date before it even properly hits the market.  As for why it started off as stereo and now it's mono, that could be down to processor limitations having been discovered when it was too late to do anything about it.  For instance, overheating issues.

Offline grawk

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #236 on: June 10, 2024, 03:43:10 PM »
Gotham just told me deity pushed it back again, to mid july
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sonosax minir82/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #237 on: June 10, 2024, 08:53:49 PM »
Gotham just told me deity pushed it back again, to mid july

But Psinka in Russia has one already.   Deity is shipping to Putin but not anywhere else?   I call for a Congressional investigation!  Is this what we get for Lend-Lease!

Offline Psinka

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Megamozg Team
« Reply #238 on: June 11, 2024, 03:19:23 AM »
But Psinka in Russia has one already.   Deity is shipping to Putin but not anywhere else?   I call for a Congressional investigation!  Is this what we get for Lend-Lease!

Hey! It's not a Deity fail and they didn't ship anything yet. It seems that problem in chinese suppliers that shipped small batch before they should.
When i bought mine i found one site that also got PR2 in stock - https://www.masterfoto.lv/en/sound-recorder/31880-1.html
For now they change status for pre-order.

PS: Putin is a sick crazy bastard who needs to be judged and jailed
« Last Edit: June 11, 2024, 04:33:17 AM by Psinka »

Offline colargol

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #239 on: June 26, 2024, 03:51:51 PM »
Deity on x just now…
MK4s/MK41s > nbob actives > tinybox/babynbox > M10/A10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com