Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anybody use the Art Phantom power boxes? If so how were they?  (Read 5448 times)

Offline IowaClint

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
Would appeciate input.  Need two of them for mics. 
Thanx
Clint

Offline cgrooves

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
Re: Anybody use the Art Phantom power boxes? If so how were they?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 10:02:21 AM »
I use the Art Phantom II myself.  Much better price than the Denecke option, and I couldn't tell that it was inferior by looking at the specs.  I did have to make a phone call to find out what the noise floor is prior to the purchase.  The Art Phantom II uses one 9v battery per channel as well.  The Denecke uses one 9v for both channels.  All in all, not a bad piece of equipment for approx. $50.
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline IowaClint

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 11:49:16 AM »
So what you are saying that the noise floor is better than the Denecke?  Or equal to it.  How would it fair against a Rolls PB224 or AKG B18.  Anybody?  P.S. Thanxs for the info cgrooves.
Clint

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 09:26:07 AM »
No idea about the noise specs but the one time I used a Phantom II I was very pleased. 
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 10:24:39 AM »
I honestly can't remember what they told me the noise floor for the phantom unit was over the telephone.  However, I compared the noise floor value with that of the Denecke, and it was negligible (if not equal).  That's when I made the decision to pick up the Art unit, since it cost half of the Denecke unit's price.  I think you will find that the concensus here is that 'power is power'.  Different colorations will come into play based on which pre you choose.  I'm not running a pre, so my mics are very transparent. I am very pleased with the Art phantom II. I honestly think some folks like the Denecke because it is more well known and is a more established namebrand. Also, the Denecke unit is 'slightly' smaller I believe. Stealthers probably pick up the Denecke for this reason alone. Again, based on memory, I think the difference in size is also negligible. Look up the specs for both units and make your decision. You will have to call Artcessories to get the noise floor value, however. One thing I personally like about the Art unit, is that theoretically you could lose power to one mic and still at least get a mono recording since there is one battery for each channel. I'm sure many here would just as soon lose the whole show rather than salvaging a mono recording though.
AUDIO:

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

urobouros

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 11:16:02 AM »
I have a very slightly used Art Phantom II I'll sell for $40 shipped.  I liked the Phantom because of the price point.  I used it with a Mixpad and enjoyed the results.  I can't compare it to the Denecke but it's chea and effective.

Todd

Offline IowaClint

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 02:20:00 PM »
Any Idea how long your battery power lasts for a mic that need 48V using the ArtII
Clint

thierryhenry

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 02:37:41 PM »
Isn't this unit quite bulky? If not I'd be interested in buying it ubor...for $40..

urobouros

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 05:05:57 PM »
I've never seen a Denecke to compare sizes, but I would have thought the AD-20 to be too large to stealth and folks do it.  The box would be seen in a pocket but, for a cheap 48V power source in an open setting, it works great.  I'll try to get dimensions to you this weekend.  I never tested to see how long the box runs.  I ran it for two hours once and then replaced the batteries.  I can give you a rough estimate once I confirm the output.

Todd

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2005, 02:38:20 PM »
Size comparison:   Denecke PS2:  1.25" x 3" x 4"
                         Art Phantom II:  1.75" x 3.63" x 5.63"

As far as powering goes:  I would assume that the Art Phantom II would power the same pair of mics longer than the PS2.  This assumption is only based on the Art unit powering each mic with one 9v battery (rather than sharing the battery)

AUDIO:

VISUAL:

Offline guru56

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2005, 02:35:41 PM »
I have the ART and had the Denecke.  I like the ART much better.  The Denecke ate the batteries too quick for me.  I have had my ART for about a month now and still using the orgiginal batteries.  Go with the ART you won't be sorry.

Offline IowaClint

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2005, 12:01:03 PM »
Thanks for the info again,  I think this is what I will get.  This is what I am trying to attempt
2 x393 1x392 -->3 X artIII-->mx-100 ->UA-5(digi-mod)-->Ipaq5555.  The UA-5 will be getting some more mods to it so when I can do soundboards I will use all the inputs for a semi-matrix recording. 
Clint

Offline ScottT

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2005, 04:42:59 PM »
Any Idea how long your battery power lasts for a mic that need 48V using the ArtII

The ART site claims 15-18 hours using two alkaline 9v batts (9-11 hours with regulars).  I just double-checked that stat in my preparations for heading to Wakarusa next week and figured I'd post the info here.
Mics: Schoeps mk22, mk41, mk8, ADK TLs
Pres: V2, Busman-mod UA5
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-70d, Tascam DR-07

"Push out the jive. Bring in the love." - C.M. Burns

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2005, 05:59:08 PM »
The ART site claims 15-18 hours using two alkaline 9v batts (9-11 hours with regulars). I just double-checked that stat in my preparations for heading to Wakarusa next week and figured I'd post the info here.

Double-checked as in confirmed you read the stats correctly, or you actually performed field-simulated testing to determine the true run-time?  If the former, I'd suggest [1] doing the latter since these types of specs are often not practical in real life, and [2] taking extra batts just in case!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2005, 06:39:34 PM »
The ART site claims 15-18 hours using two alkaline 9v batts (9-11 hours with regulars). I just double-checked that stat in my preparations for heading to Wakarusa next week and figured I'd post the info here.

Double-checked as in confirmed you read the stats correctly, or you actually performed field-simulated testing to determine the true run-time?  If the former, I'd suggest [1] doing the latter since these types of specs are often not practical in real life, and [2] taking extra batts just in case!

I purchased mine back in April and have recorded a total of 9-10 hrs on the batteries it came with (Alk's I believe but will need to double-check when I get home).  According to my little battery tester(not-HQ) it says there is still some life in them.  I will probably replace them before they bite the dust, but I'd argue that I could get at least another 2+ hrs off them.  Hope that helps a little.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com