Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Windscreen Recomendations  (Read 4921 times)

Offline admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
Windscreen Recomendations
« on: April 12, 2019, 07:36:42 PM »
Recently had some problems with the BAS when the wind was coming from behind. Switching to a borrowed set of MOVOs seemed to help a bit. Only problem is I have no idea what size they were, or what all the sizes mean. The borrowed ones fit, more or less, the same as the BAS and the fur part was ~ 4"; the width of my hand. Going by pictures, it looks like this would be the right ones. It probably would not hurt to be shorter, but any longer would run into my shocks.

While I am at it, I would also like to get a new set for my TLs. The BAS pretty much worked with any other mic I had, but they ain't gonna fit these guys.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
Re: Windscreen Recomendations
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 09:57:50 PM »
They should work about the same as the ones I linked. What I do not understand is the length bit. For example, they say it fits mics up to 10cm, does that mean the inside length of the screen?

Offline voltronic

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 07:48:25 AM »
They should work about the same as the ones I linked. What I do not understand is the length bit. For example, they say it fits mics up to 10cm, does that mean the inside length of the screen?

Yes, that's basically it.  I have the "3cm" version, and I would say that mics can be inserted really about 6-7 cm deep, but I believe 3 cm is the "effective" depth where the windscreen is doing its job.  In other words, as long as the capsule vents on your mics don't go past 3 cm, you're good with that size; otherwise get the next one up.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 06:26:11 PM »
Hmm, looks like its time to find my tape measure with metric scale, I really cannot visualize metric measurements. 3 cm sounds too short, or shorter than I would like anyway, and about the length of the capsule, I would like them to go up the body some. The BAS are roughly the same length as the fur on the Movos I burrowed.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 07:22:26 PM »
3cm ~= 1.2"

Conversion is 2.54cm per inch

Maybe it doesn't really matter much, but I've never been keen about the possible acoustic implications of the rather large-circumference solid rubber disk on the back of the Movos forming the mounting cuff.  It really should have been designed so as to be considerably smaller in diameter, closer to the diameter of the opening for the microphone body so it would not act like an acoustic modification plate / small rear baffle.  It's size and position make it "acoustically large" with respect to the upper midrange and higher.  Selecting a Movo model long enough that the capsule and vents are positioned further forward of the cuff/disk should reduce that influence somewhat.

Otherwise, the Movos seem quite nice and their cost is certainly attractive.  They seem quite effective and a lot of TS tapers are using them. I especially like the fabric-covered versions.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 05:13:53 PM »
I made a little program to do quick conversions for electronics, since it is all mixed up in that area, especially when it comes to layouts.

If I can ever get it figured out, my plan is for that part to be back by the shock mount, that is how I ran them the other weekend. I found a phone number, so will probably just call after I get around to measuring the distance from the end of the cap to the shock mount.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 06:22:11 PM »
3cm ~= 1.2"

Conversion is 2.54cm per inch

Maybe it doesn't really matter much, but I've never been keen about the possible acoustic implications of the rather large-circumference solid rubber disk on the back of the Movos forming the mounting cuff.  It really should have been designed so as to be considerably smaller in diameter, closer to the diameter of the opening for the microphone body so it would not act like an acoustic modification plate / small rear baffle.  It's size and position make it "acoustically large" with respect to the upper midrange and higher.  Selecting a Movo model long enough that the capsule and vents are positioned further forward of the cuff/disk should reduce that influence somewhat.

Otherwise, the Movos seem quite nice and their cost is certainly attractive.  They seem quite effective and a lot of TS tapers are using them. I especially like the fabric-covered versions.

FWIW, I find the fabric-covered version (clone of Rycote Super Softie) to be more effective at wind reduction than any of the furry-type windscreens I've used.  I also like that the fur doesn't get snagged on things.  Never tried the furry Movo's though.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 10:18:22 AM »
I retired my furry MOVOS, the fabric ones are my favorite now.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline charbot

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 02:27:43 PM »
I retired my furry MOVOS, the fabric ones are my favorite now.

really?   I just bought a pair of the WS G30  furry ones (the "fancier" dark grey ones) because  I wasnt happy with performance of the ballistic ones on my pair of CM3s.   For me, there was a clear improvement in my informal AB tests out in the wind with a different windscreen on each mic .   it was pretty gusty and the ballistic windscreen-covered mic seemed to need more low-pass to filter out rumbles; 80-120hz, while the furry one could get by with just 40hz.   Prob not a deal breaker for most of the crowd here, but for FX and stuff, the ballistic nylon ones do not cut it   ;)

granted, Im talking about the $30 movo furry, so its like double the price.      They do shed a bit, but it seems like they are stabilizing, as most of the loose hairs from the factory have been shaken out. 

thinking of posting my movo ballistics in the yard sale section... but they do look cool. 

Online guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2019, 03:07:17 PM »
I have these and love them.

https://www.amazon.com/Movo-Professional-Windscreen-Technology-Microphones/dp/B00YHTUCQM/

I would really like to get some of these Movo fabric-covered windscreens, but I'm not sure which size would be the best for my AT853s, which are around 1.2 cms in diameter and the vents don't quite reach 1 cm from the end of the caps.  Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2019, 03:16:23 PM »
2πr.

use this: https://www.omnicalculator.com/math/circumference

https://www.amazon.com/Movo-Professional-Windscreen-Technology-Microphones/dp/B00YHTUCQM/

I would really like to get some of these Movo fabric-covered windscreens, but I'm not sure which size would be the best for my AT853s, which are around 1.2 cms in diameter and the vents don't quite reach 1 cm from the end of the caps.  Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Online guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2019, 04:35:30 PM »
2πr.

use this: https://www.omnicalculator.com/math/circumference

So using the calculator, I get a circumference of 3.77 cms.  Maybe I'm just not understanding how these work, but after looking into a bit more, it seems like this style of Movo screens (even the 6cm) would be too big for AT853 mics.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com