Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA d:VICE just announced  (Read 158576 times)

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: DPA d:VICE just announced
« Reply #180 on: March 19, 2018, 01:27:15 PM »
Ok, I'm blind, so I can't see pictures of the various mounting options in use. I can only read the text descriptions.
I posted about the SCM0013-B four-way clip. Someone then posted about the D:screte holder, SCM0017.

I like to attach the mics to my shoulders, with cables running down the inside back of my sweater, jacket, etc.

Which of those two accessories would you guys recommend I use for that application?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #181 on: March 19, 2018, 03:45:45 PM »
Okay, I just checked out on-line photos of both SCM0013-B and SCM0017.

Both are alligator type clips with spring-loaded jaws which clamp onto clothing or whatever, appropriate for mounting to the edge of something like a collar or hat-brim, but probably not appropriate for mounting under clothing.

SCM0013-B places the mic parallel to, and basically flat up against, the surface to which the clamp is attached.  If attached to a jacket lavalier the mic faces directly upwards, downwards, or sideways when snapped into various slots in a piece attached to the upper jaw.

SCM0017 is a similar clamp, but angles the mic out away from the surface to which the clamp is attached, at what appears to be a 45 degree angle, intended to avoid the mic grid rubbing up against the fabric.  I suspect the grid would protrude about a half inch or so from the fabric surface to which the clamp is attached.  It looks like it is intended only for that microphone mounting position, but like the 13-B version it also has a feature on the end of the bottom clamp jaw into which the cable can be snapped to form a strain-relief loop.  One could probably use that alone for a parallel to the surface mic clamping arrangement without securing a full cable loop at the clamp.  That cable snap feature runs across the end of the lower jaw and is basically the same as the multiple "cable snap" slots on the top jaw of the 13-B.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 03:49:54 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #182 on: March 19, 2018, 03:54:14 PM »
Additional info to the post above-  That 45 degree mic angle on the SCM0017 points toward the open end of the clamp jaw and away from the clamped surface.  So if you were to clamp it to a piece of paper and lay the paper down on a desk, the mic would be pointing across the page and upward at a 45 degree angle.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #183 on: March 19, 2018, 09:00:16 PM »
Ok, I'm blind, so I can't see pictures of the various mounting options in use. I can only read the text descriptions.
I posted about the SCM0013-B four-way clip. Someone then posted about the D:screte holder, SCM0017.

I like to attach the mics to my shoulders, with cables running down the inside back of my sweater, jacket, etc.

Which of those two accessories would you guys recommend I use for that application?

Gaff tape the mics to your shoulders and call it a day.  Keeps it low profile and they do not move even if you're groovin' a bit.
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
02/10 J. Dilla
02/14 Wiliie Waldman & The Chocolate Factory
02/15 Gabe & Giz
02/16 GM5
02/28 Grace Potter

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #184 on: March 19, 2018, 09:09:36 PM »
Thanks for the info, guys! Much appreciated.

Yeah... tape is the cheapest option as well... decisions decisions...

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #185 on: March 26, 2018, 09:22:21 AM »
Finally got out last night to use this as a backup to the main rig and found a couple of nasty surprises:

1/ noticed when I connect the microdot firmly, it shorts out. I've read about "over tightening" being an issue with the connectors in the past; not sure if it's with the mic cable or the d:vice itself so I need to do a little more work with this.  As long as it's snug (and not tight), I've got a perfect second connection.  Even at snug, I don't see how it would disconnect.

2/ while recording, I made the mistake of adjusting levels in the Shure software and not the DPA d:vice software. I noticed audible "dropouts" albeit they're pretty brief.  I'm guessing I really should've used the d:vice panel for this instead.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #186 on: March 26, 2018, 01:51:33 PM »
I am a little confused about when/if it's necessary to use the D:vice app at all.
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #187 on: March 26, 2018, 02:01:22 PM »
I am a little confused about when/if it's necessary to use the D:vice app at all.

For recording into a phone in place of a dedicated audio recorder.
The most compact high-quality rig available.

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #188 on: March 26, 2018, 02:17:36 PM »

For recording into a phone in place of a dedicated audio recorder.
The most compact high-quality rig available.

Hah, I ned to change my question. I have a D:Vice and used it to record a show using MetaRecorder, but I was able to set the levels in MetaRecorder. My question was meant to be why do I need to use the D:vice app as part of the process?
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #189 on: March 26, 2018, 02:37:23 PM »
Ah, I missed the app part.  I'll leave that to those with hands on experience who are actually using it.

Offline adrianf74

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #190 on: March 26, 2018, 02:39:15 PM »

As I posted earlier today, using the suggested Shure MOTIV app, I noticed little audio drops where the levels were adjusted.  That said, that's why I think people were suggesting doing the level adjustment in the actual d:vice app.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #191 on: March 30, 2018, 08:35:18 PM »
Anyone updated to iOS 11.3 yet? Any issues?

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #192 on: March 30, 2018, 09:02:47 PM »
I leave my 6s on OS 10 so can't help there.

Has anyone experimented with shorter lightning cables than the one included with the d:vice?
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline beenjammin

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #193 on: March 30, 2018, 10:43:31 PM »
Has anybody tried this new four-way clip from DPA for the 4060/61's? Sounds like just the thing for tapers!

SCM0013-B
4-Way Clip for d:screet™ Miniature Microphones:
https://www.dpamicrophones.com/accessories/4-way-clip-for-dscreet

I picked up two of these to run AB. They replace the older clips whose springs have given out. They're shorter than the ones that shipped with my SMK packages (I don't know the model number) and they seems to clamp tighter. So far, so good. At 21.00 USD each, I hope they last longer than the other ones. But really, the 4060 are such lovely mikes, I can forgive DPA for such expensive accessories.

Offline adrianf74

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #194 on: March 31, 2018, 04:07:56 PM »
Surprised with no comments about my findings above, but I'll add to what I initially thought.

I compared my recording in a smallish room - maybe 45' wide x 60' deep where I was sitting in the corner closest to the soundboard and my buddy was shooting video and running my old Schoeps MK41's at the "opposite corner." When I listened back to the recordings, I actually liked the 4060's in the room MUCH better than the MK41's, however, I did notice that the levels on the Shure software don't necessarily reflect what is being recorded: despite showing my peaks hitting around -3dB (which is "red" on the app), the recording is clipped left, right, and centre which means the mics do run hotter than the app is describing.  Perhaps that's the noticeable audio hits I was talking about in the fact that I was brickwalling.  Disappointing that this was on the first attempt but I'm very happy with the "learning curve."  It was the first show I actually recorded in just over three years.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.124 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com