Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Very Low (~1 hour?) recording time on 2xAA Batteries for Tascam DR-2D ?  (Read 3702 times)

Offline ljsurfer2002

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Hello everyone.

been a very long time since posting here at TS.com! I had been using a NJ3 back in the old old 2003 days up till 2008 or so? ...

back in 2013 or so? i finally decided to get with the SDHC compact 'all in one' recorders and got the Tascam DR-2D and loved the ease of use / not needing a full rig. However, the AA battery situation really seems to be lacking. Recording time on AA batteries (x2) seems to be very low. only an hour or so? and then when it dies, you have to restart and everything has been reset to defaults / levels / etc. is this a common issue? I loved how the NJ3 had those two little brick batteries you could recharge within the unit. crazy that little internal HD recorded so many shows!

are there any new $200 ish 2018 era 'mics built in and write to SD card' recorders that have internal power that you can charge / plug in ?

thanks!
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive: http://www.archive.org/details/etree please PM me and/or send an e-mail to us admins at etree(AT)archive(DOT)org and we'll get on it asap

Audio Technica 831 (AT831) > Sound Pro standard batt-box > Nomad Jukebox 3
It's a n00b rig, but I still love it, 5 years later! I have no desire whatsoever to 'upgrade'. I figure it does a good enough job doing the task I want it to do (recording the music) so i'd rather take that $1000 and use it elsewhere... ;)

Offline ljsurfer2002

• Taperssection All-Star
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive: http://www.archive.org/details/etree please PM me and/or send an e-mail to us admins at etree(AT)archive(DOT)org and we'll get on it asap

Audio Technica 831 (AT831) > Sound Pro standard batt-box > Nomad Jukebox 3
It's a n00b rig, but I still love it, 5 years later! I have no desire whatsoever to 'upgrade'. I figure it does a good enough job doing the task I want it to do (recording the music) so i'd rather take that $1000 and use it elsewhere... ;)

Online WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
I regularly record 4 channels on the DR-2d with external mics (powered by a Church Audio 4-track preamp) using rechargeable NiMH AAs (PowerX), and I get  over 5 hours (have never run it down dead, I'd guess from remaining bars that it would run about 6 hours). 

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
Have you done firmware update?  I updated all my decks to v1.03 and have run them 4 hours (with juice remaining) on Kirkland (Costco brand) AA's....

https://www.tascam.eu/en/downloads/DR-2d
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline kuba e

• Taperssection Member
The dr2d has option Battery type in menu Setup. You can set alcaline or NiMh rechargeables batteries. Choose the right one you are using. If this option is incorrectly set, dr2d has a short stamina. I am running dr2d about 4 hours with my old rechargebles batteries. There is also possibility to power dr2d via external 5V battery too.

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
I think tapehead is right here, you need to update the firmware. I remember testing the unit and it draining fast when it was out of the box, but now I can record 4 channels and get 5 hours or so. Also - if you are powering the mics with the DR-2D and not using a preamp or battery box, the batteries will drain faster.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
Energizer Lithiums work great.  I buy in bulk.  Advanced easily 6 hours and Ultimate easily 9 hours. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com