Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Beyer MV-100 Problem  (Read 7318 times)

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Beyer MV-100 Problem
« on: September 15, 2011, 09:44:20 PM »
While taping a show this week I discovered that my Beyer MV-100 malfunctioned midway through the set. It started about 54 minutes into the show. The sound drops out in both channels simultaneously at least 20db, momentarily, and everything sounds really distant. It's like the phantom power circuit craps out and can't supply the full 48 volts. The music sounds distant, as if I was in the back of the hall, under a bunch of bodies. I've never had this particular problem happen before. I had a bad XLR connection on one channel once that made a similar problem, but only one channel was affected then. The sound drops, then comes back, then drops again for about two minutes, and then comes back. Really annoying. I was not happy to learn that the taping gods were NOT smiling on me in the later part of that show.  :(

I like the MV-100 because the Neumann KM-100 amplifier bodies will click in place into the XLR inputs. I never have really Liked the sound of the Beyer, and have just used it out of convenience. The MV-100 is the same as the Sonosax SX-M2 except the Sonosax has an adjustable discrete input stage and the Beyer does not, and has IC's instead. 

Any ideas what to replace it with if it is terminal? It needs to be small and (shush!) stealthy. ;)

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Beyer MV-100 Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 09:47:30 PM »
How was it being powered? Have you ruled that out as a possible cause?

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 11:16:31 PM »
I like the MV-100 because the Neumann KM-100 amplifier bodies will click in place into the XLR inputs. I never have really Liked the sound of the Beyer, and have just used it out of convenience. The MV-100 is the same as the Sonosax SX-M2 except the Sonosax has an adjustable discrete input stage and the Beyer does not, and has IC's instead.

Any ideas what to replace it with if it is terminal? It needs to be small and (shush!) stealthy.

they also don't share circuit boards... It's like they just used the case.  :-\

As for a replacement if it is terminal, something small makes me think a littlebox, tinybox, another beyer, a sax, or an aerco. Only the tinybox won't be able to accept XLRs natively, but adaptor cables might make up for the size difference once Jon puts a P48 edition out. The sax, and possible both LB/TB units might be configurable to run without the km100 bodies depending on edition of the preamp you get (lemosax, and "active" little/tiny boxes). So unless you are wedded to using the bodies, that's something to consider.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 11:49:32 PM »
Jon might be able to build a Littlebox with the LC inputs like the Lemosax and you could power Neumann caps without the bodies.  Worth looking into!
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 02:58:25 PM »
It's powered from the internal two 9 volts, which were brand new, and test fine on my tester.

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 03:14:30 PM »
This is my rig:

Neumann AK 40's (x/y)->KC3->KM-100's->Beyer MV-100->Sony TCD-D8

I have been thinking for a while of replacing the D8 with a HD recorder as I have used up all of my DAT blanks and I can't find a source for them anymore. Now with this preamp problem I might just go into retirement. :(  I've been a taper for 25 years. What A Long Strange Trip It's Been.

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 03:24:43 PM »
How about looking into an Oade mod Marantz 661? That would combine a pre with a solid state recorder that has XLR inputs. After 25 years why quit?
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 04:02:14 PM »
could it be related to the DAT recorder??

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 06:04:59 PM »
How about looking into an Oade mod Marantz 661? That would combine a pre with a solid state recorder that has XLR inputs. After 25 years why quit?

true, solid recommendation, especially if the 661-mod sound is agreeable to the OP's preferences.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 09:28:45 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I don't think it's a recorder problem, as my D8 is Only used for live recording and hasn't been used that much (compared to my D7). It sounds like a loose connection. I would have thought that it was another XLR jack that needed re-soldering, but both channels drop out together. I will test both pieces of gear at home.

I would like to get a small, discrete preamp, as I have been told that running the MV-100 is like throwing a wet blanket over the Neumanns. My set was the SKM-140, which also came with another set of cables in addition to the KC3 actives. These other cables had connectors to come off of the KM-100's but terminated in funny little connectors. Anyone know what these things are for and if you could use them with a small preamp?

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 10:02:22 PM »
Those are so you can run it with a Lemosax!!  That is what I was trying to say earlier that Jon Naiant might be able to build you a littlbox with the LC3 inputs like the lemosax have.  He's pres are very affordable and you could skip the mic bodies and run your caps into the pre.  You should send him an email.  He will probably need to know the pinout to build the Littlebox correctly. 

Thanks for the advice. I don't think it's a recorder problem, as my D8 is Only used for live recording and hasn't been used that much (compared to my D7). It sounds like a loose connection. I would have thought that it was another XLR jack that needed re-soldering, but both channels drop out together. I will test both pieces of gear at home.

I would like to get a small, discrete preamp, as I have been told that running the MV-100 is like throwing a wet blanket over the Neumanns. My set was the SKM-140, which also came with another set of cables in addition to the KC3 actives. These other cables had connectors to come off of the KM-100's but terminated in funny little connectors. Anyone know what these things are for and if you could use them with a small preamp?

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 10:14:59 PM »

Might be Lemos, in which case the lemo sax would take them natively (presuming the pin-out is correct).  Neumann changed the cable connections so there are two different types out there. A picture would be helpful.

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 10:53:17 PM »
How much are these 'Littleboxes'? I wonder if my MV-100 could be modded with better innards and the other inputs added?

I remember the basic SX-M2 was going for $900 when I was looking for a pre. I got my MV-100 used for $400 in 1998. I settled on the MV-100 because I could afford it and I had heard that even though the Sonosax was discrete, it still didn't sound appreciably better for the money spent. I only knew one taper, Bonnie Harris, that used a Sonosax with  Schoeps MK41v mics.

I have a friend who owns a local pro sound company. I should ask him if he could modify it. Or do the Oades offer a MV-100 mod?

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 11:21:37 PM »
Email Jon!!  He can help you out.

How much are these 'Littleboxes'? I wonder if my MV-100 could be modded with better innards and the other inputs added?

I remember the basic SX-M2 was going for $900 when I was looking for a pre. I got my MV-100 used for $400 in 1998. I settled on the MV-100 because I could afford it and I had heard that even though the Sonosax was discrete, it still didn't sound appreciably better for the money spent. I only knew one taper, Bonnie Harris, that used a Sonosax with  Schoeps MK41v mics.

I have a friend who owns a local pro sound company. I should ask him if he could modify it. Or do the Oades offer a MV-100 mod?

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 12:33:06 AM »
Yeah, email jon and see what he can do. If the lemosax isnt on the radar then id look at a cheaper all in one and replace both amp/recorder or a box from naiant (even if you have to keep the xlr bodies).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com