Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: headphone amp suggestions  (Read 3827 times)

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
headphone amp suggestions
« on: December 12, 2003, 12:58:26 AM »
since i don't have to money to invest in a decent playback rig i've decided i should atleast get a decent pair of head phones and an amp.  i've settled on a pair of sennheiser hd580s now i need some suggestions on the amp.  i'm looking to spend a max of around $150 on the amp, i've heard good things about the airhead amps but is there anything else in that price range that i should consider as well.  any help is appreciated.   :)

Offline Liquid Meat

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:headphone amp suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2003, 01:20:14 PM »
since i don't have to money to invest in a decent playback rig i've decided i should atleast get a decent pair of head phones and an amp.  i've settled on a pair of sennheiser hd580s now i need some suggestions on the amp.  i'm looking to spend a max of around $150 on the amp, i've heard good things about the airhead amps but is there anything else in that price range that i should consider as well.  any help is appreciated.   :)

FWIW I love my airhead with my 580's. Totally worth the cost. I tried a friend's Xcans tube system with them it was pretty good too. You can find them on ebay occasionally for that price range.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2003, 01:35:40 PM »
A pair of Senn HD580s + a good headphone amp IS a decent playback system!!  Check out the HeadFi headphone amp forum for some R&D.  I love my AKG K501s and Airhead amp.  Though I've considered getting a tube headphone amp...always more toys!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2003, 05:41:49 PM »
thank to both of you for the input, i think i've narrowed it down to the x-cans v2 and the total airhead.  i think i'm leaning toward the x-cans v2 right now but hopefully either way i'll be pleased.   :)

Offline joeshambro

• Taperssection Member
  • taper turned professional FOH mixer
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2003, 01:52:58 AM »
I've heard really good things about the Lafferty Headbanger...  I've never tried it so I can't say, but for $99 it looks like a good deal...

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=535&item=SP-HBA-2&type=store

jpschust

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2003, 02:21:00 AM »
ive been casually looking at the grace headphone amp... i want it so badly but for the price i can get some great studio gear

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2003, 01:10:55 AM »
i just picked up an x-can v2.  i'm definately looking forward to hearing my tapes through a decent playback setup.   :)

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2003, 02:18:20 PM »
Nice, i'm personally using a MG head OTL tube amp and a pair of 580's...great sound for the money.  I also have a pair of Beyer 770-250, AKG 501's and some Grado cans laying around.  Always good to read others being enlightened by some good headphones.  ;)
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com