Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: building room treatments?  (Read 20199 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: building room treatments?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2009, 06:01:13 PM »
thanks for sharing, this is a pretty handy thread
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2009, 11:03:04 AM »
http://www.atsacoustics.com/

Looks like I can order 3 of the 24x24x2 panels from here and have them delivered all for less than $100. At that price I'm not sure it's worth my time to build them. Shipping on the acoustical foam/insulation is not cheap, add in my time and aggravation I'm leaning towards ordering a set.

Any thoughts?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline mblindsey

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2009, 11:40:19 AM »
http://www.atsacoustics.com/

Looks like I can order 3 of the 24x24x2 panels from here and have them delivered all for less than $100. At that price I'm not sure it's worth my time to build them. Shipping on the acoustical foam/insulation is not cheap, add in my time and aggravation I'm leaning towards ordering a set.

Any thoughts?

If I remember correctly, I built my 8 panels for around $150 (maybe a little less).  I found a local place that had rock wool, so no shipping was involved. 

--Michael
Mics:  Microtech Gefell m200/M20/nBob Actives>PFA, CA-11
Pre's: USB Pre2, 1x V3, 2x V3 w/optimod, MP2, Church Ugly
Decks: SD MixPre 6 II, R44 Oade Concert Mod, M10
Playback: Grace m9xx->Sen HD 650, Fostex TH-X00, HIFIMAN HEXX
Mixing: RME Fireface UFX->Reaper/Izotope->Yamaha HS8

Offline Tim

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2009, 03:53:36 PM »
yeah its the shipping that blows the budget. I'll keep looking for rock wool

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2009, 04:11:13 PM »
ill look too tim, i need to do this also. 
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline mblindsey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2009, 07:33:37 PM »

I did a cursory google search and I can't find the name of the place that I bought the panels from (industrial park, north KC, couldn't drive there again).  I was hoping to find a clue to help you find a similar place locally.  I know home depot/lowe's didnt' have it, and the place I bought the panels from was a wholesale construction biz that specialized in commercial HVAC & fire stuff. 

--Michael

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2009, 08:22:46 PM »
there has to be someplace near denver that has this stuff for you to buy... i am hoping the same is true around here, if i ever get around to it (i'll let m0k3 figure it all out first ;) )...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2009, 08:54:09 PM »
I bought panels manufactured by Knauf.  They are the same as the Owens Corning panels that the DIY sites describe but I couldn't find OC in stock anywhere around here.   I wrapped the panel in batting before covering so that any stray fibers couldn't escape.

http://www.knaufusa.com/products/commercial__industrial/pipe_and_equipment_insulation/knauf_insulation_board.aspx

They also make a nice collection of rigid pipe that can be used for making bass traps.  Just seal the seam and cap using construction adhesive.

http://www.knaufusa.com/products/commercial__industrial/pipe_and_equipment_insulation/knauf_pipe__tank_insulation.aspx

You should be able to find this stuff in Denver by calling any commercial building supply house.  Call Knauf USA and they will tell you who carries it if you can't find an obvious source.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2009, 09:08:12 PM »
I bought panels manufactured by Knauf.  They are the same as the Owens Corning panels that the DIY sites describe but I couldn't find OC in stock anywhere around here.   I wrapped the panel in batting before covering so that any stray fibers couldn't escape.
is batting basically just fabric? 
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2009, 09:21:05 PM »
Batting is the polyester fill used in quilts and padded things.  It comes in various weights.  I used the thinner stuff.  You can get it at any fabric shop.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline mblindsey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2009, 10:33:43 PM »
is batting basically just fabric? 

Nope..it's like a roll of flat cotton ball.  Think the inside of a quilt. 

There is a pic of mine covered in batting here (same link as above): 
http://www.recordingproject.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=31061

--Michael

Offline Tim

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2009, 10:40:18 AM »
(i'll let m0k3 figure it all out first ;) )...

always a solid strategy! though what does Sarge think of wall treatments?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2009, 10:54:37 AM »
Let us know how this works out, whichever route you take.  I'm thinking of putting rockwool panels behind some some existing canvas paintings and mounting them out from the wall several inches once I redo my living room next year.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2009, 01:59:49 PM »
(i'll let m0k3 figure it all out first ;) )...

always a solid strategy! though what does Sarge think of wall treatments?

They're all out of whack now, because she retook the room,..... but prior to that, she'd made some hanging tapestries out of a tapestry fabric (of her choice) and batting; and they were really quite functional at first (before the retaking of the room). They're thicker than a normal tapestry, and have a better WAF rating than thick monotonish wall stuff (baffles).
Beyond that, we have not done much sound tuning.
I've got about a million things that I'd like to do before sound baffling / room tuning (like buying a large enough house with a space that I can dedicate to audio ecstasy).

Offline Tim

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2009, 08:56:56 PM »
I went ahead and ordered 3 24"x24"x2" panels from ATS acoustics and I picked them up this afternoon. Got home a bit ago and am playing with placement on the wall behind the couch. I can hear the difference, highs are of course tamed a bit and the image is cleaner. I'll do some serious listening this weekend but I think this was a good move.

Michael was over this last weekend as he happened to be in Boulder sp he can attest to how lively the basement is, especially with half-a-dozen drunk assholes packed in ;D

I paid less than $100 shipped for 3 panels, I couldn't build them for much less than that and factoring in my time this just seemed like the way to go.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com