Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CD / SACD Player?  (Read 4102 times)

Offline EScott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
CD / SACD Player?
« on: August 19, 2004, 09:48:21 PM »
Can someone recommend a few good CD / SACD players in the $750 - $1,000 range?  DVD Audio would be a plus as well.  Thanks.
"You know the type loud as a motor bike
But wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight"

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: CD / SACD Player?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 09:56:12 PM »
Can someone recommend a few good CD / SACD players in the $750 - $1,000 range?  DVD Audio would be a plus as well.  Thanks.

save your harn-earned $ and get one of those cd/sacd/dvd/dvda player for merely $150. Pioneer has a model and few other manufacturers do as well.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 10:04:46 PM »
that system you're building is sick....
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • I am a real American
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 01:20:13 AM »
smasung makes a good one, even has a DVI output for your TV if you're interested in that at all

Offline EScott

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 07:27:57 AM »
"save your harn-earned $ and get one of those cd/sacd/dvd/dvda player for merely $150. Pioneer has a model and few other manufacturers do as well."

I'm looking for a nice, sturdy transport and not just access to the features I mentioned.  I have a pretty nice Sony ES CD / SACD model right now that I am looking to upgrade.

Eric

jpschust

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 11:24:46 AM »
i would highly suggest the denon dvd-2900 or 5900 if you can find one used and your budget can swing it.  i love my 2900

Offline JeffK

• Taperssection Member
  • ...just a little split off center than the most
    • umphreaks!
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 02:47:48 PM »
How's the video performance on the Denon units?  I think I have to upgrade my source here pretty soon too, it's just not doing the rest of my system justice.

Offline EScott

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 03:01:03 PM »
"i would highly suggest the denon dvd-2900 or 5900 if you can find one used and your budget can swing it.  i love my 2900"

I have Bos's Denon right now and that is probably the direction I am looking.  How important is a quality CD player when I already have a good DAC unit?  The DAC is upsampling the signal anyways.  Thanks.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2004, 09:42:48 AM »
Wait a couple months until the new 3910 and 2910 are available.  Do some research and you will see these might be where it is at.  The 3910 is rumored to have both HDMI as well as firewire for audio output.  There needs to be clarification of the BM, but it is said they have the ability to do so within DSD.  Don't quote me on it though.  I do believe you give up delay.  The video sections will be great with Faroudja 2310 chips that will upscale to 1080i if you wish.  I have the 2310 chip in my front projector and let me tell you, it is sweet!  DVD's look better than FOX HD!

Initial reports are that the 3910 is a little better than the 5900.  There will be a 5910 if you have $2K
SC

Offline JeffK

• Taperssection Member
  • ...just a little split off center than the most
    • umphreaks!
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 12:35:59 PM »
wow, looks like the 3910 just may be where it's at :)

I'll wait it out for another month to find out.

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 03:52:00 PM »
has anyone else had issues with the 2900 digital output?  When I play back burned dvd-audio and output the digital signal, I only get sound out of one channel.  I honestly didn't put much effort into fixing the proble b/c the output was to a Denon receiver and I can't imagine that it does a better job with the d>a conversion than the 2900, but since we're spending escott's money, I want to be sure that the music fidelity dac is going to used to its full potential when we are listening to live 24/96 dvd-a's.   

jpschust

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2004, 04:35:09 PM »
has anyone else had issues with the 2900 digital output?  When I play back burned dvd-audio and output the digital signal, I only get sound out of one channel.  I honestly didn't put much effort into fixing the proble b/c the output was to a Denon receiver and I can't imagine that it does a better job with the d>a conversion than the 2900, but since we're spending escott's money, I want to be sure that the music fidelity dac is going to used to its full potential when we are listening to live 24/96 dvd-a's.   

i've never had a problem with the digi out.  i run the coax out to a Bel Canto 2.0 and have been just fine with cds.

Offline wboswell

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2004, 09:30:09 AM »
cds are fine, as are store bought dvd-a's, but the 24/48 discs that Damon burned for me using Discwelder came out in only one channel.

Offline EScott

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2004, 09:33:10 AM »
So, once the 722 is finally released, you will have the ability to burn 24 / 96 DVD-A's?  Is that correct?

Eric

Offline wboswell

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2004, 11:43:42 AM »
So, once the 722 is finally released, you will have the ability to burn 24 / 96 DVD-A's?  Is that correct?

Eric

exactly...  We'll have Throat Chop over and get everything dialed in just right on the computer and be 24/96 compatible.  192 will be and option but only doable direct from the 722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com