Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Free new acoustics tool from Real Traps  (Read 2890 times)

Offline L Ron Hoover

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "I figure the odds be 50/50"
Re: Free new acoustics tool from Real Traps
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 04:26:27 PM »
So, what is inside these real traps that makes them so damn expensive?

RebelRebel

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 04:43:39 PM »
So, what is inside these real traps that makes them so damn expensive?

I dont know..not qualified to answer..BUT the difference they (and acoustic treatment in general) makes to a listening space is nothing short of remarkable.I mean..it literally will make recordings sound COMPLETELY different. Ethan is also great due to the fact that he will explain to you how to make a substitute /DIY Version if you cannot afford his . I guess part of the price is the R+D and years of experience behind the design. Acoustic treatment , like anything else...you get what you pay for.

GIK is a cheaper product, and also rumoured to be very good..

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 05:42:26 PM »
It's simply fiberglass, oc 703 or 705, packaged very nicely and asthetically pleasing.  Same goes for GIK,  but they use cheaper fiberglass than the OC stuff.  Results are pretty much the same.  I have 2 GIK panels fwiw.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline L Ron Hoover

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 07:40:55 PM »
Not sure if anyone's posted this link before, but there's some great info here as well.

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

BobW

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 10:31:58 AM »
have you seen the ACTIVE traps?

Here's the link to Sound by Singer's ad for them:
http://soundbysinger.com/weblog/

More from another Bagend:
http://www.bagend.com/bagend/downloads/E-Trap.pdf

Offline L Ron Hoover

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 10:48:06 AM »
It's simply fiberglass, oc 703 or 705, packaged very nicely and asthetically pleasing.  Same goes for GIK,  but they use cheaper fiberglass than the OC stuff.  Results are pretty much the same.  I have 2 GIK panels fwiw.

Thanks for the idea Daryan! I know a friend who works for an Owens Corning distributor and was able to pick up fourteen pieces of 705 (2'X4'X1 1/2") for a song. Now I've just got to figure out what to do with it.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 09:45:06 AM by L Ron Hoover »

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 06:43:15 PM »
Thanks for the idea Daryan! I know a friend who works for an Owens Corning distributor and was able to pick up fourteen pieces of 705 (2'X4'X1 1/2") for a song. Now I've just got to figure out what to do with it.

Wrap it in high loft poly batting and then cover it with loose weave burlap or accoustic fabric to match your room.  There are pictures of the ones I made here: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=22814.msg294952#msg294952

If you can get some of the pipe insulation, you can build these: http://home.comcast.net/~jtgale01/diy2.htm
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline L Ron Hoover

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 08:57:49 PM »
+T for the good ideas. Thanks.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 12:42:41 PM »
You might consider putting a wooden frame on the traps, especially at the rear.  It makes hanging them much easier.  For diy supplies, sensesiblesoundsolutions.com has some very high quality and nice fabriic that really fits the bill if WAF is an issue. 
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com