Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: building a system  (Read 1832 times)

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
building a system
« on: January 30, 2007, 11:05:06 PM »
Reading the posts in the playback forum, i find myself completly lost.  Right now i am basically happy with my rig and will wait for the next wave of new and improved shit to hit the market (661 or some such) before upgrading to 24bit.  i want to build a system around my computer or at least have the option of inputting from the computer.

right now my playback is purely for leisure a pair of crappy computer speakers and sub to go with them, which does not allow for any critical listening. 

my guess would be i need a nice sound card if i want the system based around the computer, then a dac, then a preamp, power amp and speakers. 
it seems like the best way to get an immediate improvement is with new speakers, but how would i make the speakers compatible with the computer?

please feel free to make any comments and correct my lack of knowledge in the playback world.

thanks
luke
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline newscane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • somuchtosay.net
Re: building a system
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 11:06:57 PM »
Do you have a standalone receiver/speaker system?  If you went that route, how far from your computer would it be?
Current rig: Avantone CK-1 > UA-5 > DR-100mk11
Retired: JB3

My (DMB) shows: http://www.dmbexchange.com/list.php?user=newscane
My website: http://www.somuchtosay.net

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 01:21:37 AM »
If you're running to an external DAC - whether standalone +independent pre / power amp, etc., or an integrated receiver/DAC/preamp/power amp like the Sony STR-TAx000ES series - you don't need a great soundcard, just one that will output a digital signal.

But first things first...what's your budget?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 07:19:02 AM »
yup...budget.
:)

if you wanted to go the PC route...
you can get the $25 chainteck sound card 24/96 output...on the cheap!

as for the "box" to plug it into..I used to be the big Sony fluffer as well, and while they are excellent value and sound good, you can do better.
For example, the Music Hall Mambo integrated amp.  Found between $5-800  used.  seriously awesome, and an excellent, pleasing, exciting(!) piece to own/listen to.  Smokes the Sonys.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 10:05:37 AM »
*cough* squeezebox rules *cough*

I notice a huge difference between the analog out of a computer and the analog out of the sb3.   However, if you're going computer -> dac, that's moot.

you won't be able to really upgrade to normal stereo speakers without an amp to power them.  Computer speakers are active, in that they have their own power.... I think the first thing you need is the amp... but that will be useless without the speakers, but you're going to need both at some point.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 10:07:35 AM by pfife »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com