Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Yet another "hat worn" omni mic, please listen  (Read 2908 times)

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Yet another "hat worn" omni mic, please listen
« on: May 20, 2008, 09:52:26 PM »
OK, here is a clip I made with a new mic.  Let me know what you think:

http://Soundmann.com/2008-04-19-SueSmith_clip.mp3
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Yet another "hat worn" omni mic, please listen
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 02:25:20 PM »
OK, here is a clip I made with a new mic.  Let me know what you think:

http://Soundmann.com/2008-04-19-SueSmith_clip.mp3

Well,I really like your samples and experimentations. Thanks for that. I found this one to be one the most musical samples of yours. You know, you always mention the "pleasure to listen to" factor. I couldn't agree more. As a former audiophile freak ( it took me 35 years to get rid of that illness  ;D), I've learned a very precious lesson: beware of everything that sounds too spectacular right away. In few minutes it will sound sort of irritating and unconfortable to your ears.
You've have a very good point right there. The "pleasure to listen to" must be always considered. Great recording. ;)
+T
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline indietaperwloo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 05:23:39 PM »
It's a good sounding set of mics - just the right amount of warmth, no brittleness in the mid-highs and the highs tend to shimmer as opposed to bite.  This was my initial assessment.  It started to grate a bit after a couple songs in the mid-low end, especially on the low piano notes.

Sue Smith sounds a lot like Carly Simon I find, which is a good thing because I like Carly Simon.

I might give it a better listen on my DAW and run out through my AKG K-55 headphones.  Better DAC's on my M-Audio card than on my Audigy 2 ZS and my Plantronics headset.  I also tried listening to it on my monitors but I'd probably get a better listen on my good headphones.  I'll get back to you on it.
Portable 2 track:
Sennheiser MKE2 (HRTF) > Edirol R-09
AT822 > Edirol R-09
Studio Projects C4 (ORTF/XY) > Presonus Firepod > Edirol R-09

4 Track Open Rig:
Studio Projects C4 (ORTF)/FOH Feed > Edirol R4

FOH:
Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro > dbx 215 Graphic EQ > Behringer PMX2000 (Power Amp Section) > Behringer B1220 Mains

Multitrack:
Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro > Tascam DA-38 w/Burr Brown Op-amps

Out:
M-Audio Fast Track Pro > Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro > ESI nEar05 nearfields OR AKG K99 Headphones

Offline avrilfan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 04:48:09 PM »
I really like the quality.
CA-11 Cards > CA-9100 Preamp > Zoom H2 :)

Thanks you Chris Church for your awesome gear.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 03:00:03 AM »
First off, she does really sound ALOT like Carly Simon, and I like that ALOT :)

Now onto recording quality, I am SHOCKED at how quiet and respectful the crowd is. That by itself is F'N AMAZING 8) Ive never really been a huge fan of omni recordings. Just seems they never pull in enough high frequencies/vocals/etc. They just dont pull the music in, or me, like a SMOKIN hyper/Card pull does. Thats also why I have been sooo hesitant getting the MBHO Subcards, because a focused/highly attackable/instrument separation/soundstaging, but mainly a FOCUSED recording w/ ZERO distractions(from the crowd. Chatter/etc) is IN MY BLOOD! This is also the case here, but since the crowd is SOOOO UBER QUIET, the vocals sound very nice and distinctive. You DEFINITELY know what youre doing w/ regards to recording w/ omni's, and I think that is a talent all by itself ;) Any old schmoe can point hypers or cards at the stacks and walk away w/ a smokin recording :P ;D Hey, thats me 8)

Overall I think you did a MAGNIFICENT job my man. Overall tho, the recording doesnt have enough focus/bite/attack on the vocals and instruments for my tastes(normal for omnis tho), but I know how hard it is recording w/ omnis, especially in a QUIET setting like that. The LITTLEST THING can distract you from the recording, and that didnt happen ONCE to me ;) It puts you AND your preamp at a high test because of the ULTRA LOW NOISE ;) I prefer a nice, focused, attackive recording, with better instrument separation. Thats why I personally run hypers so dang much ;)

BUT I think you did a WONDERFUL job, especially to make me listen to (1.) an omni recording(since I'm not too fond of them) and (2.) an artist/style of music I dont like, for the WHOLE 20 minutes ;D 8) I say keep up the GREAT work, and WOW, that is truly amazing how quiet the crowd was. Not to mention how quiet your preamp was/is. BTW, what config were you running and what preamp were you running? You are a lucky taper just because the crowds you are in are actually ATTENTIVE and courteous of the artist, and are actually there to LISTEN TO THE MUSIC ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 04:18:30 AM »
First off, she does really sound ALOT like Carly Simon, and I like that ALOT :)

Now onto recording quality, I am SHOCKED at how quiet and respectful the crowd is. That by itself is F'N AMAZING 8) Ive never really been a huge fan of omni recordings.

This was a house concert.  A totally respectful crowd, and each paid $20 for a cramped space :).

Just seems they never pull in enough high frequencies/vocals/etc. They just dont pull the music in, or me, like a SMOKIN hyper/Card pull does. Thats also why I have been sooo hesitant getting the MBHO Subcards, because a focused/highly attackable/instrument separation/soundstaging, but mainly a FOCUSED recording w/ ZERO distractions(from the crowd. Chatter/etc) is IN MY BLOOD! This is also the case here, but since the crowd is SOOOO UBER QUIET, the vocals sound very nice and distinctive. You DEFINITELY know what youre doing w/ regards to recording w/ omni's, and I think that is a talent all by itself ;) Any old schmoe can point hypers or cards at the stacks and walk away w/ a smokin recording :P ;D Hey, thats me 8)

You would be *surprised* how good things sound with omnis.  In fact, it would be a valueable experience if we all ran body-worn omnis along with our "go to" gear.  What I've learned is that *most* of my cardioid recordings have sounded worse than if I just recorded off my hat.  Why?  Well, sound systems are tuned to head level, not hanging from the ceiling, or wherever else I stow my mics :).  Also, when seeing a show we naturally move to the best place in the room, usually as close as possible without being in the "shadow" of the PA speakers.

Overall I think you did a MAGNIFICENT job my man. Overall tho, the recording doesnt have enough focus/bite/attack on the vocals and instruments for my tastes(normal for omnis tho), but I know how hard it is recording w/ omnis, especially in a QUIET setting like that. The LITTLEST THING can distract you from the recording, and that didnt happen ONCE to me ;) It puts you AND your preamp at a high test because of the ULTRA LOW NOISE ;) I prefer a nice, focused, attackive recording, with better instrument separation. Thats why I personally run hypers so dang much ;)

What I'm aiming for is the most "natural" sounding recording.  I want it to sound like I was at that place in the room.  I want to forget that I'm listening "through" a recording.  Now, there are some cases where I want a directional mic.  Mostly if I'm in a croweded venue, standing, and with people around me talking.  In those cases I'll do whatever clamping is necessary to get a good sound.  I just returned from a venue tonight where I run Beyerdynamic MC930, approx 20' apart and 10' back from the stage, one over each PA speaker.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline indietaperwloo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 01:59:28 AM »
I just returned from a venue tonight where I run Beyerdynamic MC930, approx 20' apart and 10' back from the stage, one over each PA speaker.

Was that the Islands show at the Starlight?  I just want to say it sucks to be broke because I really wanted go! :(  Oh well, I just listened to a CBC recording of Bruce Cockburn from the Banff Centre for the Arts while driving to Hamilton to visit friends (we even played soccer on the field of Ivor Wynn Stadium - where the Tiger Cats play - so the weekend wasn't a total loss).  Those CBC guys really know how to tape!  They probably had a snake split, ambiant mics and a full recording truck at their disposal too - a far cry from a pair of HRTF omni lavs  ;)
I think I'll console myself for missing that show by purchasing Islands' latest record on vinyl at Orange Monkey and listening to your tape.
Portable 2 track:
Sennheiser MKE2 (HRTF) > Edirol R-09
AT822 > Edirol R-09
Studio Projects C4 (ORTF/XY) > Presonus Firepod > Edirol R-09

4 Track Open Rig:
Studio Projects C4 (ORTF)/FOH Feed > Edirol R4

FOH:
Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro > dbx 215 Graphic EQ > Behringer PMX2000 (Power Amp Section) > Behringer B1220 Mains

Multitrack:
Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro > Tascam DA-38 w/Burr Brown Op-amps

Out:
M-Audio Fast Track Pro > Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro > ESI nEar05 nearfields OR AKG K99 Headphones

stevetoney

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 07:55:02 AM »
What I'm aiming for is the most "natural" sounding recording.  I want it to sound like I was at that place in the room. 

I find that I enjoy the shows more when they sound like this too, so that's become my goal as well...to get the best sounding recording that sounds pretty much exactly like what I remember it sounding like when it was performed live.  I suppose there are still situations where that might not be the best option...I'm thinking about Mr. Smalls, our boomy venue in Pittsburgh that hosts lots of hot bands.  But even at these boomy venues, with hat mounted gear, you have the option of moving in close for direct sound and to eliminate the reverb.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.194 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com