Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: omni, Cardioid or binaural  (Read 2602 times)

Offline jppearson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
omni, Cardioid or binaural
« on: November 03, 2008, 08:32:27 AM »
Should I use cardioid, omni directional or binaural mics? 

My Zoom H2 has a great set of cardioids, so I bought a set of cardioids from Giant Squid Audio.  They don't pick up audio great; they boost the high frequencies.  What can I do to make them sound better? 

Can you suggest a good set of mics to use in studio and field recording, something with a 1/8 inch connector? 

Offline taperwheeler

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: omni, Cardioid or binaural
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 11:51:54 AM »
Church Audio or Sound Professionals.  My .02
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 12:13:43 PM »
I second Chris Church great or SP for binaural mics.

I had a pair of the giant squid ones [cards and omini both stereo] and they were good until I found out how bad they really were. haha.

Get a pair of cards/omini CA14s.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 07:04:14 PM by rastasean »
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 01:06:54 PM »
Get a pair of cards/omini CA14s.

I agree. Chris is running a sale now as well. You won't be disappointed. I used loaner CA-14 cards once and that was all I needed to know that I needed a pair of my own. I'll probably get the omni's next summer for outdoor shows.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 01:48:48 PM »
Haven't used Giant Squid but agreed with everyone here.  I own/use a set of Sound Professionals SP-CMC-2 (AT831's) and Church CA-11's, both cardioids, and I've been very happy with my recordings.  I've heard the CA-14's are an even better set of mics than what I'm using.  PM me if you'd like samples.

Offline auroboros

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 06:55:32 PM »
About to buy some cards from Chris Church. Can anyone confirm for me that his prices are in US dollars?
OKM II R, CA-14 cards, Marantz EM-8
E.A.A. PSP-2, CA-9100
Sony PCM-D50

Jesu medela vulnerum spes una poenitentium per Magdalenae lacrymas peccata nostra diluas.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 07:03:39 PM »
About to buy some cards from Chris Church. Can anyone confirm for me that his prices are in US dollars?

Yes, US dollars. ONE small thing...

Don't expect them by the end of this week, next week or the week after that. I know he's made adjustments so he should be able to have an inventory on hand but its possible there will still be a wait. Don't let this be a deal breaker, though. He has   q-u-a-l-i-t-y gear. After you have your mics, they are yours forever so you can afford the wait.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline auroboros

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 07:59:21 PM »

Yes, US dollars. ONE small thing...

Don't expect them by the end of this week, next week or the week after that. I know he's made adjustments so he should be able to have an inventory on hand but its possible there will still be a wait. Don't let this be a deal breaker, though. He has   q-u-a-l-i-t-y gear. After you have your mics, they are yours forever so you can afford the wait.

thanks for verifying. I know that he builds his work from scratch. I dont need any tweeks or personal mods so hopefully all comes along pretty quickly. I'm a patient guy and definitely think his gear is quality. I'm hoping to have the gear by the end of january. fingers crossed. i will ask him for an estimation of time when i see him next online. Cheers
OKM II R, CA-14 cards, Marantz EM-8
E.A.A. PSP-2, CA-9100
Sony PCM-D50

Jesu medela vulnerum spes una poenitentium per Magdalenae lacrymas peccata nostra diluas.

Offline Nixoo

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 11:42:03 AM »
"I'm hoping to have the gear by the end of january"

Hehehe, you are indeed very patient  ;D

Anyway, you won't be dissapointed! I'm about to order the CA-Ugly but am hoping that it won't take untill the end of january  :o
Recorders: Edirol R-09, Zoom H2
Mics: Soundman OKMII Pop, AT853 (4.7k mod), DPA4061, CA11 Cards, CA11 Omi, CA14 Cards
CA-Ugly 2 preamp, SP BB, CA BB
Photo/Video: Panasonic TZ40, Panasonic LX100, Canon 550D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com