Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG C 480 B CK61/62/63  (Read 3692 times)

Offline cavernut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
AKG C 480 B CK61/62/63
« on: December 26, 2008, 09:14:48 PM »
I was wondering if it is possible or necessary to have these in matched pairs?
Can they be purchased in matched pairs?

stevetoney

Re: AKG C 480 B CK61/62/63
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 09:48:29 PM »
I've heard no.

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 09:53:28 PM »
I've heard no.
I've also heard that AKG doesn't match anything.
Sure they may have sequential numbers but, never heard of anything being a matched set.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 11:38:55 PM »
I was wondering if it is possible or necessary to have these in matched pairs?
Can they be purchased in matched pairs?

can not be purchased in "matched pairs" - so i would say not possible from the factory.  The offical party line from akg is that they have such high manufacturing standards that matched pairs are not necessary since they are all within a given small tolerance.

that said, unless you go new, you will probably have a bit of difference between your mic bodies, and especially your caps... par far the course if you piece the gear together like most of us... nothing a trim knob cant fix for the most part.
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 12:58:02 PM »
The AKG C 480 series is typical of most "modular" microphone series (i.e. product lines with one or more standard amplifiers plus a larger number of interchangeable capsules), in that the microphone amplifiers are designed to be as sonically neutral as possible. They usually have some bandpass filtering but they have to work with a variety of different capsules, so they don't use audio response-shaping circuitry.

That's a real advantage as far as sonic consistency from sample to sample is concerned. Whenever there's audio response-shaping circuitry built into a microphone amplifier (e.g. the Neumann U 87 or most Sennheiser MKH microphones), there will always be particular components whose precise characteristics determine the sound of that individual microphone, and thus some variation in sound quality from sample to sample of the amplifier. In a sonically neutral circuit on the other hand, the quality control issues are simpler, and individual amplifiers don't generally sound different from one another.

The overall gain (amplification factor) of the amplifiers of one series from a good manufacturer might fall within a tolerance limit of perhaps 1 dB overall. A half-decibel shift in balance between the channels of a stereo recording can definitely be audible; still, that difference can usually be fixed up with a tweak to some setting somewhere "downstream." Or if you know which of your capsules is more sensitive than the other, you can use it on the amplifier that has the lower gain, and even things out that way. So in practice, as far as microphone amplifiers (bodies) are concerned, AKG isn't wrong; it shouldn't generally be necessary to select matched amplifiers in pairs for a series like this from a good manufacturer.

Capsules are another kettle of fish because their function is so much more complex; they are acoustical and electronic components at the same time, with one foot in each universe so to speak. Their tolerance limits might be within a total of 2 dB or 2-1/2 dB overall, and that would be from the better manufacturers--the cheaper ones (or the cheaper lines from manufacturers that have some lines of microphones that are deliberately made more or less carefully than others) will have a wider tolerance field.

If you're going to make critical recordings with a single pair of main microphones--and especially if you will be using coincident or closely-spaced microphone setups--a matched pair of capsules can offer audible advantages. The quality of stereo imaging depends on having two microphones with the same sensitivity and frequency response as each other, both on and off axis. The variations occur at both ends of the frequency range (but especially the high frequencies) and in the change in response as you measure farther and farther off-axis, but also in overall sensitivity (normally measured on axis at 1 kHz).

Ironically it's microphone amplifiers that always get a serial number put onto them; most manufacturers hide or (during production but after testing) remove their capsules' serial numbers if serial numbering is used for them at all. Consecutive serial numbers are thus pretty much just a beauty thing--nice for the collector in all of us, but not very meaningful when it comes to predicting how the microphones will behave as a pair.

One well-known manufacturer, in line with this way of thinking, offers selected, matched pairs of capsules on request at extra cost. They don't offer selected, matched pairs of amplifiers, however, since the differences among amplifiers of the same series are a straightforward issue of gain, not sound quality. Another well-known manufacturer has recently begun offering "stereo sets" in some of which the capsules are selected as matched pairs and then placed on bodies (amplifiers) that have consecutive serial numbers. That's a nicely thought-out approach which should please both the knowledgeable technician and the collector.

--best regards
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 07:45:56 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 02:00:54 PM »
great post dsatz.
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline RobertNC

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 04:01:12 AM »
From a practical standpoint, matching or unmatching aside, there is something to be said for adopting a standard configuration methodology based on serial numbers, whether or not they have any real manufacturing significance.   And if you have a set of bodies that have serial numbers, but interchangeable caps that do not, you can always mark one of the pair of caps in some way so that when you change them you can always "match" one cap with one body consistently.

I have both matched and unmatched mics, but my unmatched pair is Gefell, I really don't worry about matching at that level of quality.

To me a more useful consideration is always knowing how I set the mics up.  I have adopted a standard practice of always putting the lower serial number on the left channel, so I always know after a show exactly how I configured everything.

In the event that you listen to a show afterwards and have static or other artifacts in only one channel, knowing exactly which mic and which cable were set up for that channel at least gives you a starting point to start troubleshooting once you get home. 
SD:  Microtech Gefell M210 > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
LD:                   ADK A51 TL > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722
Guns:               DPA 4017    > Silver Clad XLRs > SD722

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 08:02:26 AM »
I've heard no.
I've also heard that AKG doesn't match anything.
Sure they may have sequential numbers but, never heard of anything being a matched set.

414's are sold as a "Matched" pair.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics:
Schoeps: CMC6 x 4, CMC1K x 2, KC 5G x 2, MK4,MK4V,MK41,MK21,MK22,MK8 x 2
Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+
Telefunken: TF-11 x 2, ELA M 260 x 4, M960FS x 2, TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2, M60,TK60 x2
AKG: c426b, AKG c34, nBob Actives>PFA x4, CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2
AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres:
Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs:
Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 12:50:11 PM »
From a practical standpoint...... 

I just did the same thing.  I made an extreamly tiny mark on a non-visable surface of my lower serial number boby, capsule, active and cable, to indicate the left channel...  I used a fine point industrial sharpie...  If you discover problems when you are at home listening to the recording for the first time, this method will shorten the troubleshooting process in half...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 12:52:27 PM by Javier Cinakowski »
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

stevetoney

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 02:54:30 PM »
From a practical standpoint...... 

I just did the same thing.  I made an extreamly ...

My standard practice is to swear the week ahead that I'm gonna change my standard practice.

But no matter how early I leave for the gig, I still seem to get there 3 minutes before the music, setup frantically, break out in a sweat that would make a pig jealous, and miss the first 2 minutes.

Even if I get there early, there's someone that I know that I shoot the shit with until the above scenario kicks in.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com